Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Mel said on the radio show this morning, there were a few injuries to the players thinking about coming in this fall.
    That might change the plans and have a couple play another year of junior hockey. Not sure what this means, but it may impact Jackson in for next year?
    Can anyone enlighten on prospects locked in, L'Esperance, Blacklock, Gillies, Hannoun, Anderson, Schuldt, Auk for next year?

He also said they spoke to 3 players who are potential flight risks to see where they are at now in the process

I would think these would be Phillips (maybe looking elsewhere), Pietila, and D. Johnstone.
    I think all but possibly Phillips will be back. It is really difficult to have a 1A and a 1B on an NCAA program.
    I think Phoenix showed he is the #1, but is not elite yet. Jamie may want to go somewhere where he can be the man or just turn pro and play in the ECHL?
    I would not be surprised to see Pietila sign a professional contract. I don't think either goalie is actually good enough yet to go pro, maybe in a few years, but I think they need more experience at this level, but I could see one leaving in a misguided decision, or Phillips leaving for more playing time (and I actually wouldn't blame him for that)
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Mel at times seemed frustrated, but also excited for next year. Good last show.

And he was passionate about Hanna not being on an all WCHA team.

Mel Pearson show summary for 3-17:
      Mel was a bit late, Dirk talked about results from around WCHA

You could tell they are playing some of their best hockey, knew that from watching tape, real good against BSU the week before us
      Their seniors had played 3 previous playoffs and won 1st round each year, seniors/juniors are playoff hardened team with some success, know how to win
      Mel picked BGSU top 4 at start of year, goalie outstanding this weekend
      Saw the matchups they wanted, played Senior line against Sturos/Pietila/Johnstone line to check them, threw us off
      we did not score on our chances, for most part got goaltending, but we did not do good job taking advantage of scoring opps, Friday and Saturday we had first 2 Grade A chances, don't finish

Friday:
      BGSU lead, tough goal to give up, tough read by one of our PKers, player in position should've gone to their guy, but didn't and Williamson scores, all starts with faceoff, they won, and we collapsed too much, Dman should've gone to that player, but retreated to the net and acted as screen, just a misread
      D. Johnstone PPG, he's found a home on the PP, he can shoot it, they were going to try to take that shot away, big goal for us
      We had a good 1st period, 23 attempted shots to 13
      BG lead 2-1, Carpenter rebound goal, 2x1 with a MTU backchecker coming on, 1st Dmen good job pushed BGSU wide to take a wide shot, Pheonix kicked rebound right out, may try to smother puck or put it in corner next time
      Carpenter had a guy with him, their guy won the battle, Tech player tried to tie him up, but Carpenter willed his way/strength/determination, became GWG
      tough goal to give up, played well on road in 1st game of series, but can't give up goals like that and expect to win
      Dirk -Is achilles heal of season, D play in front of net? Probably, have to get stronger/grittier in front of our net. Have to really improve on that, their Dmen really made it hard on our forwards to get to the net, and when we did, they were physical.
      D. Johnstone 6 shots, no one else had more than 2, we didn't have many Grade A chances, but didn't give up many either, we played good enough to win, but offensively did not burry our chances
      We had opps in 2nd and 3rd period

Saturday:
      Wanted a solid start, don't give BGSU any momentum, strong period until BGSU goal, it got away from us for 5-6 mins, a couple bad breaks, until then, were better team
      Hietila got a point blank shot, we had better chances than them early on Friday and Saturday, but couldn't finish, can draw up X and Os, but if can't finish, becomes a fine line
      Poor read on BGSU goal, 1-0, they were better at executing scoring opps, Dman bad read, started as 3x2 but had backchecker, we left the wide guy way too open and let him walk in on Pheonix, caught Pheonix off-guard, long pass 3/4 way across the ice
      we continued to play well, got a PP, Pietila had a chance to tie it, wave off goal due to Sturos penalty, a lot going on, tough call for official, Reid & BGSU Dman tangled in front of net as puck comes toward them, if happened in our end, Mel would be upset if they didn't call it, go from tie game to 4x4
      BGSU PPG 2-0, during 5x3, 3rd highest scoring team in our league,we took a penalty during 4x4, did not like it, cross checking in front of our net, have to manage the game, understand situation
      BGSU 3-0, first 10 min of 2nd we were better team, we had 2x1 and 3x2 but couldn't execute, we had opps like that BGSU goal with deflections but puck doesn't go in, BGSU hasn't done anything for awhile, they take shot going wide, hits our Dman and goes in, sums up our series, couldn't get a break
      We took another penalty after their goal, got away from our game a bit, disappointed how rest of period played out, can't take penalties down 3-0, high sticking/roughing when not saving a goal
      PPG early in 3rd, 3-1, Sturos, liked our PP for most part all weekend, good puck movement and wrist shot, Reid got to the net
      BGSU goal, 4-1, had a player in position, but not looking to guy at side of net
      We got a break, 4-2, Sullivan shot it in his own goal trying to clear, they took a penalty shortly after that, had a few Grade A, including D. Johnstone off post
      BGSU ENG 5-3, they have the playoff experience, BGSU coach said he didn't have to say much, Juniors/Seniors took over, that's what you need
      It was a good series, a lot closer than 5-3, we couldn't execute offensively

They discussed other WCHA results
      We've got a good league, people around hockey know how good this league is, you can look at non-conference record but most of those on the road
      Our league will be good going forward, a lot of teams don't loose much, it'll be highly competitive next year

What series do you see at pivotal through the year?
      BG series at home, we played really well, outshot them significantly on Friday
      Next night we're up 4-2, less than 90 seconds, bad breaks/calls tie game, points so critical, it came down to that point for home ice
      Proud of our players, we were right there, we've taken a step for regular season, need to work on non-conference and get better in playoffs
      UAF series too, got swept at home, a split would've been in better shape, vs. Michgian State 2-0-1 this year, played well against them
      We're doing a lot of good things, not perfect though.
      We'll never be satisfied unless you win it all, that last year at Michigan Mel was as disapointed as he is this year, care about all good things, have to build on that, but not satisfied
      We've done so many good things with this program, compared to 3 previous years, finished above .500 in WCHA, played .500 hockey on road in WCHA
      Non-conference disapointed, played ND who beat BC 2 out of 3, we were right there
      Played at UMD and Michigan, people say it's too adventurous, but it's not, we didn't get results, down the road it will help build your team, shows what you need to do to win, we'll continue to play a tough schedule
      MI will be here next year, we have to take advantage of that game, UMD will be here next year
      The way NCAA pairwise is, you get a lot more credit for beating good teams, Mel is on NCAA selection committee, knows the ins/outs to help team get in NCAA, we have to win more 1st, but also have to beat good teams, it goes a long way
      Will always have disappointment if not winning that last game, even winning that last game, you can only enjoy it for so long then another year comes along
      Mel looking forward to next year, lines/recruiting/flight risks for signing etc, Mel's excited

Dirk - With WCHA in current form is it more difficult to get recognized in the at large portion?
      Yes & no, yes because 1 key is bonus for beating a top 20 team on road. If you don't have top 20 in conference no opportunity for bonus. Hockey East had a number in top 20, many bonus points.
      If we don't have teams in top 20, no bonus points, some teams don't have that opportunity, that's not right in Mel's opinion, but having said that, if your team can win the tough non-conference games
      If we went .500 agaisnt ND, UMD, MI that helps you, so yes & no

Questions for Mel:
      Why is that you chose to leave Furne home, a senior with 40 goals when we've struggled to score?
      We as coaches pick the lineup to give the best opp to MTU to win that night.
      Ryan has been a big part of this program, all seniors have, thanks to all seniors for their contributions. If seniors can leave program in better spot, they've done a good job and these have.
      We have to put best team on ice, we did that.

It seems like we struggled with forecheck against BGSU, did they change something?
      No they didn't, at times we had problems. Our Dmen held on to puck too long instead of a read and move puck quicker.

Are you happy with recruiting long term?
      Yes very happy. Going through process of figuring out which guys come in the fall. We had a few guys that had injuries and could use another year of junior hockey. Want them to step in like a Shane Hanna, lead WCHA in scoring for Dmen and rookies.
      Congrats to him for all rookie, he should've been rookie of the year. He didn't make 3rd team, he's a plus player in the league! Hanna should've been on one of those teams.
      Want guys over ready, like Petan freshmen year, Hanna this year.
      One recruit made all prep team in MN, another played in state tourney. A goalie that was team MPV and made all rookie team, we have good recruits.

Any current underclassmen signing early?
      we pulled in 3 players and talked about that already. Things happen quick, sometimes coaches are the last person to know.
      There were NHL guys in attendance looking at BGSU and some of our players. We don't have any players ready to leave. Mel has coached 80 NHL players, Mel has a good feel for people being ready for NHL. We have guys that could go to AHL, want to make sure you're over ready for AHl, so you can make a good impression.

How much road watching of future recruits will you do?
      A bit, but Mel is on NCAA selection committee next weekend. Mel has to go to a regional and Frozen Four. There will be a lot of watching incoming players though, to determine if they're ready

Are expectations unrealistic?
      It depends on the expectations. It's good to have high expectations, Mel tells the team that. Have to set the bar high, otherwise always happy with underachieving or not being the best. We're here to take this team to the top.
      As crazy as it sounds, we can do that.

Offseason contact with players?
      We'll have a lot. Our guys will finish up school, then we'll have all our returning players for Track A, and working out with Tyler Shelast.
      Some freshmen will be up this summer too.

Thanks to fans for all continued support. The future is bright here. Like the direction.
      Thanks to the Tech band at BGSU added atmosphere.
      Shoutout to the Mens BB program, good luck tomorrow night.

Comment

Pietila was a -4 this season. He's not ready for the Devils system.

Kidding aside, if NJ are serious about signing him and putting him in the AHL, I think he's gone. If they are just going to stick him in the ECHL, he is better off staying, and I hope he recognizes that. Phillips is only a flight risk if Winnipeg wants to him to get more playing time somewhere. Johnstone, I think, would be signing somewhere if he'd had a fully healthy season and led the team in scoring (as he likely would have). With his Jacob graduating, David's still a flight risk, but less of one because of his injury.

Comment

Mel said on the radio show this morning, there were a few injuries to the players thinking about coming in this fall.
          That might change the plans and have a couple play another year of junior hockey. Not sure what this means??
          Can anyone enlighten on prospects locked in, L'Esperance, Blacklock, Gillies, Hannoun, Jackson, Anderson, Schuldt, Auk for next year?

He also said they spoke to 3 players who are potential flight risks to see where they are at now in the process

I would think these would be Phillips (maybe looking elsewhere), Pietila, and D. Johnstone.
          I think all but possibly Phillips will be back. It is really difficult to have a 1A and a 1B on an NCAA program.
          I think Phoenix showed he is the #1, but is not elite yet. Jamie may want to go somewhere where he can be the man or just turn pro and play in the ECHL?
          I think before Mel has said Blacklock and Jackson are two that have had injuries. It still sounds like Blacklock will be here and Jackson may stay in the USHL.

Fillion will be a senior, but he'll probably transfer with no playing time this year I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Kidding aside, if NJ are serious about signing him and putting him in the AHL, I think he's gone. If they are just going to stick him in the ECHL, he is better off staying, and I hope he recognizes that. Phillips is only a flight risk if Winnipeg wants to him to get more playing time somewhere. Johnstone, I think, would be signing somewhere if he'd had a fully healthy season and led the team in scoring (as he likely would have). With his Jacob graduating, David's still a flight risk, but less of one because of his injury.
            That is what I'm worried about, that the Devils see that minus and decide they need to have him in their system, learning from their coaches.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It is going to be a crowded roster again if nobody leaves.
              Should make the depth even better.
              Dare I say 3 scoring lines and an energy shutdown type of line next year.

The D should also get a good skater in Auk and a punisher in Schuldt.

I love summer, but hate the wait for hockey again....

Comment

I think the other injury is Dane Birks for potential incoming players...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I would say that Blake will be back. He has to get surgery on his wrist. In talking to someone close to the situation, it sounds like NJ GM Lou Lamariello doesn't pressure the college kids too much. He has no problem letting a kid stay another year in school to develop.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                    I would say that Blake will be back. He has to get surgery on his wrist. In talking to someone close to the situation, it sounds like NJ GM Lou Lamariello doesn't pressure the college kids too much. He has no problem letting a kid stay another year in school to develop.
                    As far as Lamoriello is concerned, I'd agree - after all, he did coach {PROVICED back in the day.

D. Johnstone is a bit more worrisome.

Comment

No program can have it both ways. You either recruit players who may have the opportunity to leave early for the next level, or you recruit players who have no choice by to stick around for four years. I know what I'd rather have on my team.

The same can be said for the (in my opinion, ridiculous) discussion of player improvement over four years. If the new coaching staff is successful in recruiting a higher level player (which is what we want), then as that happens in the first few years, and better and better players are being brought in, then there is less time available for some of the upperclassmen who were at one time the best on the team. Another case of not being able to have it both ways.

If I have time this weekend, maybe I'll actually chart productivity by season for 4 year players for a variety of teams, preferably normalized by playing time to account for recruiting progress. If something can be quantified before it's argued, then it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                        No program can have it both ways. You either recruit players who may have the opportunity to leave early for the next level, or you recruit players who have no choice by to stick around for four years. I know what I'd rather have on my team.

The same can be said for the (in my opinion, ridiculous) discussion of player improvement over four years. If the new coaching staff is successful in recruiting a higher level player (which is what we want), then as that happens in the first few years, and better and better players are being brought in, then there is less time available for some of the upperclassmen who were at one time the best on the team. Another case of not being able to have it both ways.

If I have time this weekend, maybe I'll actually chart productivity by season for 4 year players for a variety of teams, preferably normalized by playing time to account for recruiting progress. If something can be quantified before it's argued, then it should be.
                        Let's take a look at the producers:

Blake Pietila 35 14-10-24, 39 8-20-28
                        Alex Petan 37 15-19-34, 39 11-17-28
                        Tanner Kero 33 11-13-24, 40 15-10-25
                        David Johnstone 32 10-19-29, 25 11-9-20

Shouldn't we expect improvement from these guys? Granted DJ had the injury but Petan and Pietila regressed in goals. All of them regressed in points per game.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Let's take a look at the producers:

Blake Pietila 35 14-10-24, 39 8-20-28
                          Alex Petan 37 15-19-34, 39 11-17-28
                          Tanner Kero 33 11-13-24, 40 15-10-25
                          David Johnstone 32 10-19-29, 25 11-9-20

Shouldn't we expect improvement from these guys? Granted DJ had the injury but Petan and Pietila regressed in goals. All of them regressed in points per game.
                          And there should be plenty more. It has been happening at least since like 2004-2005 timeframe.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That might change the plans and have a couple play another year of junior hockey. Not sure what this means??
                            Can anyone enlighten on prospects locked in, L'Esperance, Blacklock, Gillies, Hannoun, Jackson, Anderson, Schuldt, Auk for next year?
                            Jackson, Blacklock, Roy (I think) and Rostagno had injury issues this season. Rostagno is still a few years out so I don't think he's coming in...

I had Blacklock, Anderson, Steman, Jackson, Gillies and L'Esperance coming in as forwards for next year.
                            Plus Schuldt and Birks on defense.
                            Schuldt and Auk are the oldest but with Birks being drafted I'm not sure how long he can stay in the BCHL. Birks didn't improve much statistically so maybe he can stay there another year...
                            The only thing that is for sure is that Schuldt must come in this season...he's the oldest recruit on the board. I'd also expect Evan Anderson, Dyland Steman to come in based on age and results last year. Alex Gillies and Joel L'Esperance seem like locks based on their success and my previous expectation that they will be joining the Huskies. If neither Blacklock nor Jackson comes this year, I would think they are most likely to be replaced with Trevor Cope who had a good year in the OJHL and Jake Kauppila. Hannoun is also a possibility but he's younger so I'm not sure they'd bump him...but its quite possible.

Comment

Here are the recruits stats that I have. Joe Schuldt's time was split between USHL and NAHL.

I'm excited for Gillies and L'Esperance next year. Should add some offense.

Player GP G A Points
                              Zach Jordan-RW 19 2 3 5
                              Cooper Watson-D 22 0 1 1
                              Chris Gerrie-LC 62 19 36 55
                              Jake Gingell-D 34 2 9 11
                              Mason Blacklock-LC 28 18 12 30
                              Mitch Reinke-RD 28 5 14 19
                              Demico Hannoun-RC 54 16 32 49
                              Mark Evan Auk-LD 52 9 19 28
                              Trevor Cope-LW 39 18 28 46
                              Alex Gillies-LW 46 28 30 58
                              Travis Brown-RD 26 6 27 33
                              Jake Jackson-F 35 2 6 8
                              Brett Boeing-LW 45 9 16 25
                              Dane Birks-RD 50 4 17 21
                              Tristan Rostagno-LD 17 1 1 2
                              Dylan Steman-LW 49 12 16 28
                              Evan Anderson-LW 46 21 31 52
                              Joe Schuldt-D 40 4 2 6
                              Joel L'Esperance-C 53 25 18 43
                              Jake Kauppila-LW 59 14 22 36
                              Angus Redmond-G 32 3.33 0.899
                              Devin Kero 40 2.48 0.918

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                Here are the recruits stats that I have. Joe Schuldt's time was split between USHL and NAHL.

I'm excited for Gillies and L'Esperance next year. Should add some offense.

Player GP G A Points
                                Zach Jordan-RW 19 2 3 5
                                Cooper Watson-D 22 0 1 1
                                Chris Gerrie-LC 62 19 36 55
                                Jake Gingell-D 34 2 9 11
                                Mason Blacklock-LC 28 18 12 30
                                Mitch Reinke-RD 28 5 14 19
                                Demico Hannoun-RC 54 16 32 49
                                Mark Evan Auk-LD 52 9 19 28
                                Trevor Cope-LW 39 18 28 46
                                Alex Gillies-LW 46 28 30 58
                                Travis Brown-RD 26 6 27 33
                                Jake Jackson-F 35 2 6 8
                                Brett Boeing-LW 45 9 16 25
                                Dane Birks-RD 50 4 17 21
                                Tristan Rostagno-LD 17 1 1 2
                                Dylan Steman-LW 49 12 16 28
                                Evan Anderson-LW 46 21 31 52
                                Joe Schuldt-D 40 4 2 6
                                Joel L'Esperance-C 53 25 18 43
                                Jake Kauppila-LW 59 14 22 36
                                Angus Redmond-G 32 3.33 0.899
                                Devin Kero 40 2.48 0.918
                                Sorry, I could have saved you the trouble, used that data to make my post...It's so nice to see so many guys earning a near or above a point per game not to mention a goal in 3/10 or better. I'm really interested to see how Chris Gerrie develops, wonder if he'll move over to the BCHL.

Comment

Working...
                                X