Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
    On another note, has anyone at MTU heard if Damon Whitten is applying for the LSSU job? There has hardly been a peep here about candidates other than people talking about former Lakers and assuming that since Whitten went after the UAA job, that he may be interested at Lake State.
    A couple of Soo news sources have said he's expressed interest.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
      So far there have been 90 (NHL/AHL/ECHL contracts) if you don't count guys who left early.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/page/pro...ted-free-agent
      Thanks for the updated list. Looks like around 40-45 total have signed in the last week or so. I also should have been more specific about undrafted FA. Hope your guy does well. He's flashed tremendous potential at times. His Washington goalie coach Olie Kolzig knows all about being in the ECHL and working your way up (Hampton Roads had both Kolzig & Byron Dafoe in 91-92). So does Pheonix's former goalie coach Steve Shields, who spent much of his rookie year with South Carolina and had then Buffalo (now Nashville) goalie coach Mitch Korn spend a lot of time in Charleston and on the Stingrays bus working with him. The goalie Shields split time with in SC was that Washington scout Rapids mentioned, Jason Fitzsimmons.
      Last edited by davyd83; 04-08-2014, 07:47 AM.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

NHL Central Scouting released their Final Rankings. A surprised showed up this time for Michigan Tech as Evan Anderson who currently plays for Salmon Arm (BCHL) made the list at 179. He was the only future Husky to make the list after having three players on the midterm list (Alex Gillies, Mason Blacklock, Demico Hannoun).
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          NHL Central Scouting released their Final Rankings. A surprised showed up this time for Michigan Tech as Evan Anderson who currently plays for Salmon Arm (BCHL) made the list at 179. He was the only future Husky to make the list after having three players on the midterm list (Alex Gillies, Mason Blacklock, Demico Hannoun).
          Any idea why Gillies fell off? I thought he was tearing up the BCHL.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
            Any idea why Gillies fell off? I thought he was tearing up the BCHL.
            I'm not really sure...I thought NHL Central Scouting would look past things like injuries or whatever...Gillies had better numbers than Anderson but for some reason dropped off.

Alex Gillies was the 2nd highest player to drop complete off the rankings.
            Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm not really sure...I thought NHL Central Scouting would look past things like injuries or whatever...Gillies had better numbers than Anderson but for some reason dropped off.
              Gillies is a year younger, too. Weird.

Which recruits do you think will be coming in next year now that it looks like (looks like!) no one else is leaving early?

Comment

Gillies is a year younger, too. Weird.

Which recruits do you think will be coming in next year now that it looks like (looks like!) no one else is leaving early?
                Well, I wouldn't count on that yet...Jujhar Khaira signed in August.

I have the following right now:
                Forwards: Joel L'Esperance, Evan Anderson, Dylan Steman, Alex Gillies, Mason Blacklock
                Defensemen: Joe Schuldt, Dane Birks, Mark Auk
                Goaltenders: Devin Kero

I don't know who on that list would be pushed back if they don't have room.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't count on that yet...Jujhar Khaira signed in August.

I have the following right now:
                  Forwards: Joel L'Esperance, Evan Anderson, Dylan Steman, Alex Gillies, Mason Blacklock
                  Defensemen: Joe Schuldt, Dane Birks, Mark Auk
                  Goaltenders: Devin Kero

I don't know who on that list would be pushed back if they don't have room.
                  Khaira's situation was unique. I don't think any of our draft picks are young enough to hop over to major juniors (and take the signing bonus with them). If New Jersey had been ready to grab Pietila, wouldn't they have done it when his season ended? And if Johnstone wanted to leave, wouldn't he have done it then, too? But I don't know, minds can certainly change...

I suppose there's also the possibility that Anderson or Fillion, etc., transfer.

Comment

Khaira's situation was unique. I don't think any of our draft picks are young enough to hop over to major juniors (and take the signing bonus with them). If New Jersey had been ready to grab Pietila, wouldn't they have done it when his season ended? And if Johnstone wanted to leave, wouldn't he have done it then, too? But I don't know, minds can certainly change...

I suppose there's also the possibility that Anderson or Fillion, etc., transfer.
                    New Jersey has no real incentive to burn a year of Pietila's entry level contract right now. By waiting they control him one more year if he signs this summer.

Johnstone, I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Teams at the AHL and ECHL levels generally are pretty well set in their personnel at this point in the year. If he's still an ECHL backup next year, that will tell the story. He wasn't expected to see any playing time in Hershey this year, but to work with the Caps goalie coaches. The Caps primary ECHL affiliate (Reading) was solid with their two keepers, so when South Carolina needed another goalie, they found him a home there.
                      As it turns out, Reading now needs a goalie as Riley Gill has a concussion.

Comment

Some good articles on the new commissioner from Matt Wellens at the Marquette Minning Journal. I've included the Mel Pearson related quotes below. Interesting ideas from Mel on what to do with the WCHA tournament.

WCHA introduces Bill Robertson as next commissioner to replace Bruce McLeod
                        http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5010

"With the league and the changes and the new WCHA so to speak, I think it's a good time for a guy like Bill to come in an put his stamp on the WCHA," Michigan Tech head coach Mel Pearson said by phone.

"We have a few issues with our league, the playoffs being No. 1. I know we're set for the next couple of years, but to help grow our league championship, I think that's very important."
                        New WCHA commissioner Robertson asked by league members to tackle Final Five event in first year
                        http://www.miningjournal.net/page/co....html?nav=5010
                        Both Daniels and Michigan Tech head coach Mel Pearson said the WCHA postseason tournament should be Robertson's top priority in his first year as commissioner.

Robertson has experience working with the WCHA on its championship weekend, having helped the league with the Final Five at the Xcel Energy Center from 2000-2011. The league semifinals and finals returns to Xcel in 2015 and 2017 after taking place in Grand Rapids this year and again in 2016.

Both Daniels and Pearson are concerned about attendance, maximizing revenue and creating a good experience at both sites, but Pearson went a step further, questioning the current format.

Pearson said Robertson must evaluate whether an eight-team tournament featuring best-of-three first-round series on campus, followed by single elimination semis and finals at a neutral site is best for the league.

"Do we want only eight teams in, do we want 10 teams, do we want five going like to the old final five?" Pearson said from the Frozen Four in Philadelphia. "Some suggested having two separate venues in our league and have five in the East and five in the West and then have a best-of-three or best-of-five for the league championship.

"One thing (Robertson) is going to have to do, is when you have 10 teams and 10 coaches and 10 schools, there's 10 different ideas. He's got to be able to mediate and understand the landscape and do the right thing, or the best thing, I should say, for the WCHA for all the schools, not just one or two."

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          I don't know how to view this, is the stock in some of our recruits dropping? Maybe there will be a Mel Pearson show around the NHL Draft, I'd be curious to get Mel's take on it.

Also, I'm feeling pretty confident Blake and Johnstone are back at this point, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            I don't know how to view this, is the stock in some of our recruits dropping? Maybe there will be a Mel Pearson show around the NHL Draft, I'd be curious to get Mel's take on it.

Also, I'm feeling pretty confident Blake and Johnstone are back at this point, but you never know.
                            One thing to remember is that Anderson and Blacklock are only eligible for the 2014 draft while Gillies and Hannoun are also eligible for the 2015 draft so that might play into their draft stock dropping (when in reality it was the rise of 22 Major Junior players that are probably older than both Gillies and Hannoun). Blacklock, I think was all related to injury.

Comment

Mel is going to lose a lot of sleep next year trying to figure out the lineup.

Excited for next year already, but there is going to be a logjam if Shirtless predictions are right on.

Looking at the potential new lineup, will the McNaughton finally come home!!!!
                              D. Johnstone, Pietila, Sturos
                              E. Anderson Kero Petan
                              Gillies L'Esperance Gould
                              Eick Neville Vallis
                              Heinonen Baltus Hietila
                              Steman Blacklock P. Anderson

Hanna Birks
                              Watson Sweeney
                              Leibinger Auk
                              Hyland
                              Schuldt
                              Davis
                              Fillion

Phillips
                              Kero
                              Wintjes

It seems they have so many left wings, the third and 4th lines will see a new LW every game.
                              Who will step up like Sturos of the freshmen next year.
                              First 3 lines can score and the 4th needs to be a shutdown type.
                              Our D has never been better since I have been a Husky fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Back check View Post
                                As it turns out, Reading now needs a goalie as Riley Gill has a concussion.
                                Two UP Alums led South Carolina to a 3-2 SO win over Greenville last night. Copley had his best appearance yet, stopping 34 of 36 and NMUs Stephane Vigier scored for SC. To complete the Old Mil & Pasty Fest, LSSUs Kyle Jean (Soo, MI) and Matt Bruneteau were in the lineup for Greenville.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X