X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    FF: Not sure what this all changes just yet. In many cases, and in some sports in particular-the term student athlete is just a sham. The athlete is in college for one reason only-to receive money to play a sport and then he can move on to the professional level if he is good enough where he will get more money, but at least it will be out in the open and not called scholarship or financial aid of some type. The college sport in those cases simply serves as the minor league for the professional sport. Hockey has always been one of those sports that was a bit different. Sure there are some fellows who are in school just for the sport and have no pretense of being a student(more so at a few schools than others)-but on the whole, it is nowhere near as prevalent as in basketball or football. Hockey has a well developed minor league system-as does baseball-and can function quite well at deveoping players without the colleges if need be. But i totally agree with you-there is a distinct odor emanating here and I am not one of those that likes the smell.
    I agree that the NBA and the NFL have used colleges as their minor league development system in a really shameless and cynical way. It seems to be a contest among remoras here about who can suck up the most scraps.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
      Only 3 days left for fans to vote.
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Only 3 days left for fans to vote.
        Getting technical, but I think math is allowed here, but isn't it four including today?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Welcome back, Doc; hope all is as good as it can be
          Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
          Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Getting technical, but I think math is allowed here, but isn't it four including today?
            as Mo would say, "why I oughta".
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Hockey banquet 4/26/14. I am not posting a link since it might contain my secret number, not that I am using it.

This link looks clean http://alumni.rpi.edu/s/1225/index.a...id=8496&crid=0.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                as Mo would say, "why I oughta".
                Actually, it's MOE. But I'm getting technical also...

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                  Actually, it's MOE. But I'm getting technical also...
                  Not to mention, in Brideless Groom, I thought it was Shemp who said that.

Comment

Today is 29 March 2014. There are 189 days (27 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Vote today?.... http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2013-14/

Comment

Did so.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 30 March 2014. There are 188 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Bored? Feel like gazing upon the face of Our Great Coach while playing a puzzle game online? Boy, do I have the game for you!
                            http://games.usvsth3m.com/2048/seth-appert-edition/

Money back guarantee! And, it even comes with the coveted FlagDUDE08 seal of approval*!

*-FlagDUDE has not actually seen this game yet, but since he seems to be on this board 20 hours a day he'll probably be the first reply to this post.
                            Season ticket holder since 2007. I BELIEVE IN SETH APPERT.

Comment

• Scanned this thread only briefly to see if it was posted earlier and if so I apologize. Not sure if this is playing in 'Capitaland', but here in the Southern Tier (Elmira area), Time Warner Cable Sports channel is playing the Providence game from 1985.

Cheers,
                              ~TTF
                              Dave
                              RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by NBinks View Post
                                Bored? Feel like gazing upon the face of Our Great Coach while playing a puzzle game online? Boy, do I have the game for you!
                                http://games.usvsth3m.com/2048/seth-appert-edition/
                                Not bad at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X