X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    I wonder if Ryan will give the current coaching staff any credit for helping him make it to the pros?
    Ryan Haggerty ‏@Haggerty39 Mar 12
    I need to thank @SethAppert for giving me a chance to develop as player and person. As well with my teammates the past three years at RPI
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      Today is March 11, 2014. There aren't any players ahead of Brock Higgs! Did you vote today?

Vote HERE.

Back over 33.3%.
      Vote today?
      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
        Here's my calculation - sounds like someone didn't have such a great recruiting year (oh heresy that couldn't be the case) or perhaps he forgot to give the freshmen any significant playing time.
        He said from the outset that the freshmen were likely to have to fight for ice time. When they got it they weren't typically on scoring lines.

But then again, you've never really leaned too hard on the underlying truths when coming up with your "calculations."
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          Vote today?
          Voted - thanks for the reminder!
          Let's give a cheer for old Rensselaer... You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            Gosh, didn't you know that's what we're doing here? Solving all of our problems like anything we say matters?
            I think what you say matters. Usually.

Originally posted by RedWrister View Post
            I might quibble with the "sub-standard" culture. I think the culture is good: professional, high GPA, no off-ice issues of any kind, the players seem well-conditioned. But I get your point and have an idea. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to get a mentor/consultant to review the program top to bottom and offer some guidance? I'll throw a name out, only as an example because the exact candidate isn't critical at this point, but wouldn't a guy like Jack Parker have some useful guidance? I'm not sure if he is available or is the mentoring type but, if so, he could come to Troy a few days every month. The Coaching staff could go to visit him now and then. They could talk on the phone. Coaching at the Div 1 level is tough, everything at the Div 1 level is tough, and the program is clearly struggling. The easiest change to envision is to fire the coach. Well in this case that's not really an option and in most cases it's not the best option. Like it or not there has been a big commitment to this coach, why not try to get the most out of that? Why not spend some $ to get some help from someone who's had significant success as a head coach at a Div 1 school? The program has been too mediocre for too long and an organized, top to bottom assessment just may lead to changes that will get us playing more post-season hockey.
            You can quibble... When I say sub-standard culture, I refer to winning. Periods, games, seasons....etc. It's just not there.

I hate the consultant idea. Consultants are brought in when there's no confidence in the leadership team - you might as well fire the team, instead of having folks that are visible brought in to essentially second-guess the current regime. Check out Office Space when you get a chance.
            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post

You can quibble... When I say sub-standard culture, I refer to winning. Periods, games, seasons....etc. It's just not there.

I hate the consultant idea. Consultants are brought in when there's no confidence in the leadership team - you might as well fire the team, instead of having folks that are visible brought in to essentially second-guess the current regime. Check out Office Space when you get a chance.
              This thread is already better than Office Space, it has become the Peyton Place of USCHO, carry on.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

You think more highly of what I say than I do.
                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Today is 14 March 2014. There are 204 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                    Ryan Haggerty ‏@Haggerty39 Mar 12
                    I need to thank @SethAppert for giving me a chance to develop as player and person. As well with my teammates the past three years at RPI
                    Doesn't mean much. I would've been more surprised had he not said something like that.

Comment

A little more than 10 hours to get your picks in. You have until 7PM tonight.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014

1st round contestants who have not submitted picks:

arickeo
                      Brett Gobe
                      cudmud
                      Jack T. Ripper
                      Maine-iac
                      Mike Hutter
                      Nyhockeyguy
                      rfs04
                      ufanbill
                      UnionTDX04
                      Wholin1
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

When I say sub-standard culture, I refer to winning. Periods, games, seasons....etc. It's just not there.
                        I would respectfully disagree, in part, and reluctantly concur, in part. It seems to me that we lack appropriate focus. Priorities aren't clear or are too diffuse. Attention to detail is spread too thin compared to the available resources. Hence my consistent mention of the support staff. A head coach is more of a CEO of a mid-sized business these days. What OGC needs more than anything else, I'd suggest, is a good HR person.

In that regard, not so much a "consultant" as a "second opinion" might be helpful. That is exactly why even a small to mid-sized business has a board of directors, someone to provide perspective on long-term development. ANY coach has to deal with plenty of short-term tactical issues. There also has to be a process for long-term assessment as well. It seems to me that it is in this latter area that OGC is still learning and developing.

In my professional life, I'm quite good at what I do and am recognized for it. I've been at it longer than OGC and am still learning new things and am still getting better at it. No reason to think he won't continue to improve either.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          It's actually not a bad idea. Not sure if it would be 100% feasible but it's at least something developed using rational analysis.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            In that regard, not so much a "consultant" as a "second opinion" might be helpful. That is exactly why even a small to mid-sized business has a board of directors, someone to provide perspective on long-term development. ANY coach has to deal with plenty of short-term tactical issues. There also has to be a process for long-term assessment as well. It seems to me that it is in this latter area that OGC is still learning and developing.
                            That is why you have Assistant/Volunteer Coaches (known as support staff)! Decisions whether it is tactical or administrative, should be made in collaboration. You don't know how open SA is to input from his Assistant/Volunteer coaches. Some coaches don't allow input due to the fact that they like to control everything.

Ultimately, game strategy, team play and systems, team personnel, in game adjustments, etc. are the head coaches responsibilities. Some are better at it than others.
                            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                              That is why you have Assistant/Volunteer Coaches (known as support staff)! Decisions whether it is tactical or administrative, should be made in collaboration. You don't know how open SA is to input from his Assistant/Volunteer coaches. Some coaches don't allow input due to the fact that they like to control everything.

Ultimately, game strategy, team play and systems, team personnel, in game adjustments, etc. are the head coaches responsibilities. Some are better at it than others.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTLIi3erIg

Comment

Brock Higgs signed to an ATO with the Worcester Sharks of the AHL....http://www.sharksahl.com/story.asp?story_id=3841

Comment

Working...
                                X