X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by vicious View Post
    How many more GF if the PP clicked in the low 20s percent? PP was 2/15 this weekend.
    Well... exactly one. We probably could've used one more PPG (or one fewer SHG...)
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
      Homecoming will be the second weekend in October this year. I would expect that RPI will make an effort to schedule a home game for that weekend.

If they play an exhibition on Oct. 4, I would be surprised if RPI scheduled a game in South Bend (or anywhere other than Troy) the next weekend.

Of course, there is no rule that you have to play an exhibition on the very first day that the rules allow it. They could conceivably play the exhibition on Oct. 11 and go to South Bend the following weekend.
      We are in the Icebreaker in October at Notre Dame along with Minnesota and UMD. That is a given. I agree that the exhibition may not be on 10/4.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 11 March 2014. There are 207 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          Homecoming will be the second weekend in October this year. I would expect that RPI will make an effort to schedule a home game for that weekend.

If they play an exhibition on Oct. 4, I would be surprised if RPI scheduled a game in South Bend (or anywhere other than Troy) the next weekend.

Of course, there is no rule that you have to play an exhibition on the very first day that the rules allow it. They could conceivably play the exhibition on Oct. 11 and go to South Bend the following weekend.
          I doubt this would happen because the Icebreaker is likely to fall on October 11th. This year, Oct 11-12 was the Icebreaker, and the previous year was the 12th-13th.

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
            Yes, play the Engineer way. But what about more tangible goals? .... Step one may be rethinking the "it's gotta start with the guys in that room" approach.
            Respectfully disagree in part with last sentnce, based on your own earlier observation: the "guys in the locker room" depend upon the entire coaching staff, not just OGC, for guidance. For setting tangible goals, how about something concrete, specific, detailed, and immediate: "in this period, on D keep the center clear by forcing them to the side. On the PP, let's put a big body in front of the net to distract them." in other words, tangible goals related to performance on the ice.

My hunch is that OGC needs to build out a deeper, stronger staff of assistant coaches. Each one strong in teaching a fundamental aspect of the game. You only gain mastery through successful repetition.
            Last edited by FreshFish; 03-11-2014, 07:31 AM.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
              I do not feel like doing the research. Does anyone know why there is only 1 timeout allowed in hockey?
              Anyone, Bueller, or did I stump everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                Anyone, Bueller, or did I stump everyone?
                There's only one timeout because that's what the rule book says. There's no need to have two minutes turn into 30, like the NBA.

Comment

There is a lot of blame to go around for this season. When Sunday's game ended, my first thoughts were SA should resign and Diebold should transfer.
                  I know that it was a crazy thought, but I was not a happy camper.
                  This years team played well below expectations. After the first line, the rest of the team could never get it going on a consistent basis. Our play in the defensive zone once the opponent set up was non existent. We panicked and ran around chasing the puck.
                  Everyone already has commented on the power play alignment, enough said.
                  Blame goes to everyone.
                  Having said that about this years team, I could say the same thing about RPI hockey going back to 93/94 season (my first following the team).
                  I am beginning to think that it is a culture and not any single individual.
                  Honestly, all I want is a consistent team that plays to its ability. Every team I have ever rooted for has finished first and last in the time I rooted for them. I don't give up on them when they disappoint, because there is a loyalty factor. There seems to be a small number of fans that want to jump ship if SA continues. I am not one of those. I will be here no matter where we finish and no matter who the coach is, because RPI hockey is what I root for not the people.
                  Heres to next year. Kind of makes you feel like a Brooklyn Dodger fan.
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Today is March 11, 2014. There aren't any players ahead of Brock Higgs! Did you vote today?

Vote HERE.

Back over 33.3%.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      There is a lot of blame to go around for this season. When Sunday's game ended, my first thoughts were SA should resign and Diebold should transfer.
                      I know that it was a crazy thought, but I was not a happy camper.
                      This years team played well below expectations. After the first line, the rest of the team could never get it going on a consistent basis. Our play in the defensive zone once the opponent set up was non existent. We panicked and ran around chasing the puck.
                      Everyone already has commented on the power play alignment, enough said.
                      Blame goes to everyone.
                      Having said that about this years team, I could say the same thing about RPI hockey going back to 93/94 season (my first following the team).
                      I am beginning to think that it is a culture and not any single individual.
                      Honestly, all I want is a consistent team that plays to its ability. Every team I have ever rooted for has finished first and last in the time I rooted for them. I don't give up on them when they disappoint, because there is a loyalty factor. There seems to be a small number of fans that want to jump ship if SA continues. I am not one of those. I will be here no matter where we finish and no matter who the coach is, because RPI hockey is what I root for not the people.
                      Heres to next year. Kind of makes you feel like a Brooklyn Dodger fan.
                      Well said. I think once we get down the road a couple of weeks 95% of the fans will feel as you do. There will be some who throw up their hands and go find something else to do; jump on the Siena Basketball band wagon or maybe go to some Devils' games in Albany, but the majority of the fans will remain loyal and root for the laundry.

I would suggest everyone stop speculating about possible replacements for Seth Appert. It is very, very unlikely that he is going to lose his job. The president just gave him a 2 year extension to keep him from going after the Denver job. I believe there is virtually no chance this president is going to turn around 10-11 months later and ask the Trustees to eat a large part of his contract. It may be possible that we see one or two assistants moving on, but I think the head coach will be staying.

Let's all take a break and come back in a month and try to channel some positive energy into this program for next season. A better atmosphere at the Field House at games other than Freakout, Cornell and Clarkson would be a good start. There are too many games with 2,500 to 2,700 people in the stands and not enough sustained noise from the seats. Watch RIT, Wisconsin, Cornell and other strong fan bases. The arena is bathed in school colors and the support is strong and consistent throughout every game. With their success the past five years, even the fans at the school that shall not be mentioned, has a rowdy supportive group that provides lots of positive support throughout every home game at their tiny, shabby little barn. Achilles, Lynah, Cheel, Appleton and Ingalls are much tougher, rowdier places to play than Houston. I grant you that it has been tough to maintain a rabid following with the inconsistent play and disappointing post-season performances on the ice the past several years, but when the team is struggling is when they need a lift from the people in the stands the most.

The culture at the school and the indifference of the administration will not change, unless there is an outcry from major donors. The one thing the fans can change is the atmospher in the building. I would like to suggest that some on this forum take some leadership and create a group to work on making the Field House rowdier and less comfortable for visiting teams. Be loud; be proud for 60 minutes. We hear lots of complaints about the team not performing well for 60 minutes. Maybe the fans need to step up their game as well. Just sayin'

Enjoy the off-season. It will be long and bitter, but hope will return next fall - I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Goalie @ SLU (who eventually became the starter). Darn if I can recall his name.
                        Spagnoletti?
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm done. I have been a season ticket holder for 44 years, but I have had enough, my wife and I had season tickets this year but stopped going to games beginning in January since I felt I could see the writing on the wall and was sick of OGC's same old post game interviews, blah, blah, blah. My health is failing and to get out in the snow and trudge to the field house to watch a middle of the pack team that sometimes acts like they would rather be doing something else was not worth the effort, once I stopped going it was like a breath of fresh air, I found myself no longer caring. Unless RPI gets a new coach (which I don't see happening) I won't be back, its kind of sad but I can't take anymore. OGC has everything the RPI administration likes, he is a true salesman, always saying the right thing, he looks professional and polished, he sold himself to us 8 years ago when he said our record was unacceptable but 8 years later we are as bad or worse, Shirley does not care, she is only worried about herself.

Appert is a great guy (look at the posters who came up with OGC) which makes it hard for people to call for his dismissal but he has to go, if he is such a great recruiter then he must be a lousy coach for mishandling all the talent, if he is a great coach then he must not be doing a great job recruiting, either way it falls on him. I have seen many freshmen come in and look promising but as the years progress the players look like they are getting worse instead of better. I'm not going to name players but look at the ones that came in so highly touted and the just end up looking like nothing special.
                          Well enough of my ranting, but I won't be back until something changes which I don't expect to be soon. It was a great ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                            A better atmosphere at the Field House at games other than Freakout, Cornell and Clarkson would be a good start. There are too many games with 2,500 to 2,700 people in the stands and not enough sustained noise from the seats. Watch RIT, Wisconsin, Cornell and other strong fan bases. The arena is bathed in school colors and the support is strong and consistent throughout every game. With their success the past five years, even the fans at the school that shall not be mentioned, has a rowdy supportive group that provides lots of positive support throughout every home game at their tiny, shabby little barn. Achilles, Lynah, Cheel, Appleton and Ingalls are much tougher, rowdier places to play than Houston. I grant you that it has been tough to maintain a rabid following with the inconsistent play and disappointing post-season performances on the ice the past several years, but when the team is struggling is when they need a lift from the people in the stands the most.
                            You know the problem, there has been very little to get excited about over the last 8 years, which makes it hard to draw big crowds that generate excitement, excitement has to start on the ice and I have not seen much of it lately. Carry on and hope something changes when the approach stays the same for another 8 years.

Comment

Losing sucks and I am very familiar with it, but I think some of these posts are over the top. Appert is a proud father and calling for his head just isn't right.

Is success only about hardware and banners? From these eyes, appert continues to develop good these kids as human beings, helps some reach their goal of professional hockey, and is a strong voice in the community. Maybe some time spent thinking about what you want in a coach may cause some to reflect that the ship is indeed half-full in Troy.

Not everything is about what happens for 60 or 65 mins on the ice Friday and Saturday nights.

There also seems to be a very loyal following of former players which speaks to the underlying relationship with appert as well as how instrumental he was in developing them for the real world - in whatever endeavor they chose to pursue post RPI.

Comment

All the negativity aside, I agree that some positive energy needs to be channeled into next season, because like it or not, Appert is staying and they're going to have to figure out how to utilize the talent they do have. It's not impossible. Look at UML going from a 5-win team to making it to the Frozen Four with a meteoric rise from basically the same team.
                                Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Working...
                                X