X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Statement by AspyDad –

While this is a terrible loss for the Cherry and White, the sun will rise again. For anyone to compare tenure of coaches is apple and oranges. Appert took the program over just after there was a question if it would become D-3. The previous coach had local products basically handed to him that were pro-material that kept him going for several years after. Also inherited a team from Buddy that was good.

Posters can ***** all they want and have every right to but let’s remember RPI is a technical school. If I’m a recruit and Yale, Harvard and RPI are pursuing me I think the Tute (with all due) respect is at a disadvantage. Seth has won many recruit battles and will in the future. All you posters with the cheapshots about back- up goalie, brlycream ought to grow up. He has brought good college hockey players in here. Trend was the other way.

Also let’s get over where the band is located. The band sounds great but it’s not the end all be all. I admire their dedication but c’mon.. it’s over.

As far as SA developing players, Polacek came in as a walk on and became Hobey Baker candidate. Haggerty went from fourth line guy on US U-18 to the to one of leading scorers in the nation and Hobey candidate. JDA, Pirri, Foss, Merth etc. playing pro. This is a sign that he has brought in good talent.

With regard to five forwards on PP. BC does it all the time. Works sometimes, doesn’t sometimes.

For the guy who won’t take the 90 min. ride, thanks for your support. Get in the car, go to an alumni event and tell Coach your concerns before the game.

Lastly, Coach is going nowhere. Six years left on the contract that most of us was glad he signed. Kasdorf back, etc. etc.

My best wishes to #23, #12, #28, #3 and one of the true nice guys #11. God speed.
    Agree with some of this. Comparing coaches is useless but don't agree with your assesment of the previous coach. 12 seasons of which half were top 4 ECAC finishes. 8 out of 12 over .500 and five 20 win seasons. 6 trips to ECAC tournament. Thats not all because of a few local recruits and some leftovers from Buddy Powers. And Fridge had nowhere near the resources compared to current times.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
      Agree with some of this. Comparing coaches is useless but don't agree with your assesment of the previous coach. 12 seasons of which half were top 4 ECAC finishes. 8 out of 12 over .500 and five 20 win seasons. 6 trips to ECAC tournament. Thats not all because of a few local recruits and some leftovers from Buddy Powers. And Fridge had nowhere near the resources compared to current times.
      Always enjoy the give and take. I like St. Louis trade (Martin that is not Ryan). See you soon.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
        The RPI hockey program is on a decade long downward spiral. On ice performance, overall game entertainment value and relevance in college hockey are all in pretty rough shape. The ECAC tournament has left Lake Placid, moved to Albany, left Albany and moved to Atlantic City and now back to Lake Placid all without 1 appearence from RPI. Since RPI has made it, every ECAC team has made it at least TWICE!

Now to last night. Its easy to Monday morning quarterback but the way they came out for the 3rd period was obvious in the first 90 seconds. Content to dump out of the zone and let Dartmouth dictate the pace. Not what I expected after a late 2nd period goal gave all of the momentum to RPI. Unexcusable. The use of the timeout. I don't agree with using a timeout that early unless your team is spiraling out of control. To use it with a one goal lead in the 2nd period to discuss a brief 5 on 3 is a waste. We said it at the time it was happening and sure enough it came back to bite them. That team needed to be settled down as soon as it became 4-3. Enough has been said about the 5 forward PP so I will not repeat.

Solutions. On ice performance, I don't know. Next years class doesn't look all that impressive, on paper. We will see. This years freshman class is the poorest I have ever seen. Not sure if any of the powers at RPI really even care that this school was once a national power. I don't know if they care that they are losing fans. After last night, I belive the combination of years of frustration and high expectation for this season will cost them more fans. Matter of fact, it already has. Game experience. Get students involved. Get the band away from the corner and back on the stage where they belong. Concessions could be better but not a big deal. I guess winning might breed a better environment.
        Re the current freshmen. Remember that we could only give as many scholarships as we lost. They can of course be divided up differently. In that regard Reno is a replacement for Bailen on paper. They are clearly different types of defensemen, but Reno appeared to be quite good in 2013. I can't explain why he has been sitting. Bokenfohr deserved a shot and has performed well, but Reno didn't appear to me to be the one who should have been sitting.

As to the incoming class, they are replacing Higgs and Tinordi mainly. Tironese and Melanson should develop to contribute as much. As to the recruits on defense, besides for Wilson it is not really clear who is coming, but it has to be an improvement, doesn't it? I mean Prapavessis has had one minor penalty in 51 games. (That could mean that he I soft, but in the videos I saw he seemed fine.)

My current worry is replacing the forwards who graduate a year from now.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Re the current freshmen. Remember that we could only give as many scholarships as we lost. They can of course be divided up differently. In that regard Reno is a replacement for Bailen on paper. They are clearly different types of defensemen, but Reno appeared to be quite good in 2013. I can't explain why he has been sitting. Bokenfohr deserved a shot and has performed well, but Reno didn't appear to me to be the one who should have been sitting.

As to the incoming class, they are replacing Higgs and Tinordi mainly. Tironese and Melanson should develop to contribute as much. As to the recruits on defense, besides for Wilson it is not really clear who is coming, but it has to be an improvement, doesn't it? I mean Prapavessis has had one minor penalty in 51 games. (That could mean that he I soft, but in the videos I saw he seemed fine.)

My current worry is replacing the forwards who graduate a year from now.
          How about a D who can play point on the PP?
          "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Statement by AspyDad –
            Oh look, the apologetic speaks.

I'm not going to speak too much to what I saw on the ice with Fridgen, mostly because the two years I saw weren't all that hot. However, if someone can take essentially rag-tags and make them competitive, that's the sign of a good coach. You can recruit talent until you're blue in the face, but unless you can use the talent to better the team, it doesn't mean much. That having been said, we have gone from one extreme to the other. How do we get both?

BTW, Polacek was not a walk-on. The kid has natural talent. As for Haggerty, they don't let just anyone put the "USA" on their chest and skate onto the ice. Appert certainly knows how to train up goaltenders, but last I checked, most of them don't score goals.

Also, Appert doesn't go to the alumni event that I attend, so I guess those concerns won't be voiced.

I will give you that over the past decade, attendance has improved from an average of 2600 or so to an average of over 3000.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
              How about a D who can play point on the PP?
              I believe that's how we got Lou Nanne.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                I believe that's how we got Lou Nanne.
                He plays forward. His brother plays D. OTOH, Prapavessis has 27 PPA's in 51 games.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hrbrendan View Post
                  There used to be a band who led fans in cheers at the end of the ice. It was electric. It didn't sound like an uncoordinated pile of dog ****. No acoustics engineers at RPI I guess, as the band in the corner is worse than none at all.
                  ****ING GET OVER IT. WE'RE NOT MOVING BACK. WE DO THE BEST WE CAN WITH WHAT WE HAVE. a
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    ****ING GET OVER IT. WE'RE NOT MOVING BACK. WE DO THE BEST WE CAN WITH WHAT WE HAVE. a
                    It's honestly not that bad, either. To be frank, when it really comes down to it, I am more worried about what is happening on the ice, anyway. I think that the negative Nancies are just coming out of the woodwork now that we've blown another playoff series.

I'd like them back at the end, too, but I know that complaining about it on USCHO isn't going to make it happen.
                    Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

BTW, Polacek was not a walk-on. The kid has natural talent.
                      While I agree that he has natural talent, he was indeed a walk-on in the sense that he was not on scholarship when he arrived at the Institute.
                      Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

My prayers to the Doc. May you find comfort in the affection shown for you by all the posters on this forum. God bless.
                        "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Statement by AspyDad –

Thank you for the humor! Lord knows it's needed on this thread!!
                          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                            While I agree that he has natural talent, he was indeed a walk-on in the sense that he was not on scholarship when he arrived at the Institute.
                            By definition, a walk-on is someone who attends RPI and is not recruited - hence, they "walk-on" to the team. It has nothing to do with not receiving scholarship. If Polacek was recruited, he would not be considered a walk-on!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                              With all due respect, I disagree with your statement that most of us were glad Appert was re-upped. His record is appalling and I know many alumni as well as myself who were hoping he would be picked up by another team. It now appears he would be lucky to ever find another Div. 1 coaching job. Just look at Fridgen who had a much better record. For the sake of argument lets assume that your premise is correct that Appert is a great recruiter. Then why hasn't this translated to results on the ice? The answer is either that he is a terrible game coach or motivator or both. Just because he may be a 'good guy' is no reason to keep him. I fear we will have more than one defection because of the continued failures. If you are correct that this coach is going nowhere then that is exactly where this team will be going for the rest of the decade. I was lucky enough to enjoy the 1985 team but sadly there are many on this forum who have only experienced the decline of this once proud Hockey program. Time to change 'em up.
                              +1

Comment

Also, Appert doesn't go to the alumni event that I attend, so I guess those concerns won't be voiced.
                                He may be avoiding you. Just sayin
                                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Working...
                                X