• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    John, this is not an argument, it is a debate. Fridgen took over a very good hockey team and in his first season won the ECAC tournament. In his first few seasons, he brought in some very good recruits. Tapper, Murley, Pothier and others. He had some very good seasons in the late nineties, but still had trouble winning anything. His last two years were awful. The talent was not there and neither were the victories while playing a less than tough schedule. A downward spiral if I ever saw one.
    That said, Fridgen was a great guy and his recruits were a credit to RPI (sound familiar?).
    Behind the bench, I am not happy with either of these guys, but a change was needed when Appert came in and I believe that he has made the program better.
    I really wish he could coach as well as he recruits.
    I am in complete agreement, but it has stagnated.

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by johnk View Post
    You are so wrong on so many fronts, starting with Fridgen running the program into the ground, its not worth arguing with you.
    John, this is not an argument, it is a debate. Fridgen took over a very good hockey team and in his first season won the ECAC tournament. In his first few seasons, he brought in some very good recruits. Tapper, Murley, Pothier and others. He had some very good seasons in the late nineties, but still had trouble winning anything. His last two years were awful. The talent was not there and neither were the victories while playing a less than tough schedule. A downward spiral if I ever saw one.
    That said, Fridgen was a great guy and his recruits were a credit to RPI (sound familiar?).
    Behind the bench, I am not happy with either of these guys, but a change was needed when Appert came in and I believe that he has made the program better.
    I really wish he could coach as well as he recruits.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
    With all due respect to WaP, we need to stop worrying about everybody else and look internally. I think we should start out with a "Know Thyself" column.
    You do know that the last installment of the series is "Know Thyself", yes?

Leave a comment:

• DeepRed72
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    WaP's first Know Your Enemy of the year http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/05/...medium=twitter.
    With all due respect to WaP, we need to stop worrying about everybody else and look internally. I think we should start out with a "Know Thyself" column.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 10 May 2014. There are 147 days (21 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Thanks Ralph, that was neat. Would love to know why relocate to Ithaca?
    My recollection is that his son lives there. (probably a former Cornell student)

Leave a comment:

• jstadts
    replied

It hit the high 80s here in DC today. Lots of interesting joggers. (I should have ridden my bike past the beach volleyball courts in West Potomac Park, but I might have gotten into an accident. )
    Your getting funnier with age ralph!

Leave a comment:

• ServinisScores
    replied

An article from the Cornell Sun about RPI alum, former HFH PA announcer, and former editor of the Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter, Don Birkmayer. To those like me who used the IcHN as a way to keep up with hockey before the Internet, it is truly amazing how things have progressed. Thanks to WaP for the link.

Thanks Ralph, that was neat. Would love to know why relocate to Ithaca?

Leave a comment:

• vicious
    replied

Originally posted by Beman View Post
    Who hires a goalie to run your team. Wow how stupid is that!
    Shawn Walsh at Maine and Keith Allain at Yale come to mind. Some goalies can coach their teams to national titles. Others....well, "the record speaks for itself."

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 9 May 2014. There are 148 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-09-2014, 08:44 PM. Reason: fixed number of days left

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Who is Kate Upton? She on the women's team or something?

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

WaP's first Know Your Enemy of the year http://www.withoutapeer.com/2014/05/...medium=twitter.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Senna View Post
    I so glad to hear someone else say the same thing. My son was going on and on about this being the Rangers year....and I was having none of it. They just dont score, and if you dont score you dont win - and Lundquist, for all that gets written about him, is never going to be the guy that wins a cup for you. It just painful and nauseating to watch.

I also agree that I beyond tired of all the *****ing about Appert. He's not going anywhere soon. I'd rather some intelligent discourse on something that we actually have control over, and him staying or going isnt one of them. FWIW, I'm not happy either and find it galling and appalling that, for whatever reason, we just cant seem to play with the desire or intensity that our Capital District rival does. Like a bunch of dopes we **** and moan about them for pages on end when all we really want is to play the way they do - with commitment and intensity and to win. More power to them.

Finally, I really needed that Kate Upton reference. Shed a new light on an otherwise uninspiring day. Also got me thinking about how much I cant wait for a warm 80 degree day here in midtown Manhattan...like going to the zoo and watching all the exotic animals. Thank you for the thought and diversion...
    It hit the high 80s here in DC today. Lots of interesting joggers. (I should have ridden my bike past the beach volleyball courts in West Potomac Park, but I might have gotten into an accident. )

Leave a comment:

• Senna
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    And Lundquist reminded the Rangers why they should leave him OFF the playoff roster. Until he figures out what he's supposed to do in his teams end of the ice, street clothes is the uniform for him.
    I so glad to hear someone else say the same thing. My son was going on and on about this being the Rangers year....and I was having none of it. They just dont score, and if you dont score you dont win - and Lundquist, for all that gets written about him, is never going to be the guy that wins a cup for you. It just painful and nauseating to watch.

I also agree that I beyond tired of all the *****ing about Appert. He's not going anywhere soon. I'd rather some intelligent discourse on something that we actually have control over, and him staying or going isnt one of them. FWIW, I'm not happy either and find it galling and appalling that, for whatever reason, we just cant seem to play with the desire or intensity that our Capital District rival does. Like a bunch of dopes we **** and moan about them for pages on end when all we really want is to play the way they do - with commitment and intensity and to win. More power to them.

Finally, I really needed that Kate Upton reference. Shed a new light on an otherwise uninspiring day. Also got me thinking about how much I cant wait for a warm 80 degree day here in midtown Manhattan...like going to the zoo and watching all the exotic animals. Thank you for the thought and diversion...

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by Beman View Post
    Yup. Even after they gave Seth more money to coach, more money to recruit, lowered the academic standards Fridgen's record is still better. If Shirley gave Fridgen that support the former NHL player would probably have done a lot better than the former second string D1 goalie. Who hires a goalie to run your team. Wow how stupid is that!
    I agree that goalies in general don't make good coaches but we won a national championship with a pro football player as a coach. You can't generalize.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X