Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC First Round: Miami University at St. Cloud State

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
    I'd love for the Huskies to do well in the NCHC playoffs, but it's almost meaningless for NCAA implications. They'll probably have to go 4-0, 4-1, or (maybe) 3-1 in order to have a shot at the #4 seed. The worst they can do at this point is 0-2. The next worse is 1-2 or 2-3. Either way, they'll do no worse than #8 PWR, which is a bummer going into the tourney, but a fine seed nonetheless.

Still, I'd REALLY like to see them play at the Target Center. I'm waiting on buying tickets until I know they're in. I'm probably going to go to this Friday's game (assuming they'll have some kind of Penrose Cup ceremony).
    FYI, The games this weekend are on Fox sports North Plus. If the Huskies win Friday I am going to go to saturday's game. The pope of Husky hockey Skeeterman has spoken that I need to be there... :0
    Last edited by scsutommyboy; 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM.
    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
      FYI, The games this weekend are on Fox sports North Plus. If the Huskies win Friday I am going to go to saturday's game. The pope of Husky hockey Skeeterman has spoken that I need to be there... :0
      Yup, but unfortunately I "cut the cable cord" two years ago. I could go watch the game(s) at a bar somewhere, but sadly I don't really have any friends who'd be interested in watching the Huskies with me. If I went to the game, I'd just bring my kid. I've been indoctrinating him on Huskies hockey since birth.

Also, if there was a Cup ceremony, would FSN show it?
      scsuhockey.com
      CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

I'd love for the Huskies to do well in the NCHC playoffs, but it's almost meaningless for NCAA implications. They'll probably have to go 4-0, 4-1, or (maybe) 3-1 in order to have a shot at the #4 seed.
        Why do you say that? We are .0009 away from Wisconsin in RPI. If Wisconsin loses or ties this weekend and we sweep we are back ahead of them.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          Why do you say that? We are .0009 away from Wisconsin in RPI. If Wisconsin loses or ties this weekend and we sweep we are back ahead of them.
          Michigan State has a slightly higher RPI than Miami, but I think they're an easier team to beat. Wisconsin has only four games left before the NCAA tourney. If the Badgers go 3-1 and the Huskies go 3-1, Wisconsin will likely get the #4 seed. I think the Badgers have a good chance of going at least 3-1.

That, and if Wisconsin and SCSU both slip, Ferris State still has a shot at sneaking into the #4 seed.

For all those reasons, I give the Huskies about a 30% chance of getting the #4 seed.

EDIT: It should go without saying, the Huskies are big Michigan State and Bemidji State fans this weekend.
          scsuhockey.com

Comment

Michigan State has a slightly higher RPI than Miami, but I think they're an easier team to beat. Wisconsin has only four games left before the NCAA tourney. If the Badgers go 3-1 and the Huskies go 3-1, Wisconsin will likely get the #4 seed. I think the Badgers have a good chance of going at least 3-1.

That, and if Wisconsin and SCSU both slip, Ferris State still has a shot at sneaking into the #4 seed.

For all those reasons, I give the Huskies about a 30% chance of getting the #4 seed.

EDIT: It should go without saying, the Huskies are big Michigan State and Bemidji State fans this weekend.
            I think the Spartans are better than you are giving them credit for. Got swept in Madison, but got two ties against the Gophers and their two losses to the Gophers were 3-2 and 1-0. Wisconsin is a bad road team (4-7-1) and playing in East Lansing this weekend, I think the Spartans get at least a point, probably two. Wisconsin then plays winner of Michigan/PSU and if they win that game, likely the Gophers. I think they have a good chance of going 2-2 or 1-2.

I give the Huskies a 51% chance of getting the #4 seed.
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I don't think there will be a Cup ceremony Friday.
              We waited till the series was over last year to bring out the MacNaughton, I think the same thing will happen with the Penrose.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                I don't think there will be a Cup ceremony Friday.
                We waited till the series was over last year to bring out the MacNaughton, I think the same thing will happen with the Penrose.
                Pretty sure you had no choice in the matter last year 'cause the MacNaughton was in Minneapolis on the last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                  Pretty sure you had no choice in the matter last year 'cause the MacNaughton was in Minneapolis on the last weekend.
                  You are wrong in 3 ways here, dingus.

First, on the final weekend of the regular season, the MacNaughton was in Bemidji, not Minneapolis.
                  Second, the "last weekend" of the NCHC regular season has passed, so that is not a valid comparison anyway.
                  Third, St. Cloud had the MacNaughton for the first round of the playoffs last year, which is what FTLT is talking about.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

I think the Spartans are better than you are giving them credit for. Got swept in Madison, but got two ties against the Gophers and their two losses to the Gophers were 3-2 and 1-0. Wisconsin is a bad road team (4-7-1) and playing in East Lansing this weekend, I think the Spartans get at least a point, probably two. Wisconsin then plays winner of Michigan/PSU and if they win that game, likely the Gophers. I think they have a good chance of going 2-2 or 1-2.

I give the Huskies a 51% chance of getting the #4 seed.
                    I hope you're right.

Go Spartans!
                    Go Beavers!
                    GO HUSKIES!!
                    scsuhockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      And it was in St. Cloud after we closed out UAA in the playoffs..
                      I still don't think we'd do anything until after the playoff series is over, it's just how Motzko works.
                      Have you guys made sure Potulny has the Big Ten trophy locked in his car just in case Wisconsin ties you for it?
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

You are wrong in 3 ways here, dingus.

First, on the final weekend of the regular season, the MacNaughton was in Bemidji, not Minneapolis.
                        Second, the "last weekend" of the NCHC regular season has passed, so that is not a valid comparison anyway.
                        Third, St. Cloud had the MacNaughton for the first round of the playoffs last year, which is what FTLT is talking about.

Keep up the good work.
                        Ouch. Easy on the Edina posters, even if he is a goofer. (:

I agree with both you and FTLT. However, keep in mind the NCHC commissioned the production of two (2) Penrose Cups. It appears this affords the ability for teams to promptly conduct simultaneous Cup celebrations as potentially could have occurred on Saturday; whereas celebrations held a week later can be scheduled during a best of three series to allow both co-champions to hold home ice celebrations in the event of a tie were there only one Cup.

I and my entire family were in attendance at the NHEC and enjoyed watching the Husckeys parade around the ice with the MacNaughton Cup after sweeping UAA (which was expected) last year. This upcoming series with Miami is different. The RedHawks have played us even this year and have a lot more riding on this series as we have already won the conference title and are guaranteed to play in the NCAA tournament regardless of the outcome of our conference tournament.

SCSU is taking a risk in possibly holding a home ice celebration with the Penrose Cup after a game or series loss.

Comment

Seemed like last year Motzko planned the celebration specifically to give a boost to the team's morale/confidence heading into the FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
                            Ouch. Easy on the Edina posters, even if he is a goofer. (:

I agree with both you and FTLT. However, keep in mind the NCHC commissioned the production of two (2) Penrose Cups. It appears this affords the ability for teams to promptly conduct simultaneous Cup celebrations as potentially could have occurred on Saturday; whereas celebrations held a week later can be scheduled during a best of three series to allow both co-champions to hold home ice celebrations in the event of a tie were there only one Cup.

I and my entire family were in attendance at the NHEC and enjoyed watching the Husckeys parade around the ice with the MacNaughton Cup after sweeping UAA (which was expected) last year. This upcoming series with Miami is different. The RedHawks have played us even this year and have a lot more riding on this series as we have already won the conference title and are guaranteed to play in the NCAA tournament regardless of the outcome of our conference tournament.

SCSU is taking a risk in possibly holding a home ice celebration with the Penrose Cup after a game or series loss.

Then we take a risk.
                            1. We've already won the thing, so if we don't parade it, is it that big of a deal?
                            2. The focus is, as it should be, on Miami and not what we've already done and anyone who knows how Motzko operates knows this is how he does things. He likely won't even celebrate this title fully until our year is finished.
                            3. The accomplishment is not diminished if it is celebrated after a series loss, especially not in this league where it is known that there are no bad teams and every series has a good possibility for an upset.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
                              Seemed like last year Motzko planned the celebration specifically to give a boost to the team's morale/confidence heading into the FF.
                              Where they immediately crapped the bed leading into the NCAAs.
                              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

On the Bob Motzko Show, Bob said he was excited for the playoffs because we do pretty well in the playoffs. I was about to nominate him for the Preposterous Statement Tournament but decided to look at the numbers. During the previous 4 seasons we were 10-8 in playoff hockey, which is pretty good in my book. 2 of the losses were a sweep in the first round against the eventual NCAA champion UMD Bulldogs.

So there's that.

Comment

Working...
                                X