Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC First Round: Miami University at St. Cloud State

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
    You might want to follow the Redhawks a little more closely. Coleman was out with an injury in the first game against Denver and now he is back. He's scored 8 goals in the last 7 games. He was out 11 games. His first game back was the upset over SCSU on that Friday, he had 2 goals. They are quite a different team than the PWR shows right now with him back in the lineup.

Guys, when I said that I followed MU, I didn't say that I was a fan, lol. I don't like the MU alum I am referring to. So I'm like an ANTI-MU fan, hehe.

But that being said, I'm also not SO biased, or SO naïve or ignorant that I don't have a clue about what I am talking about when I talk about something.

You will notice that what I said was, that if the 10 games were spread out 2 in Nov, 2 in Dec, 2 in Jan, 2 in Feb, and 2 in March, that the 3 bottom Big Ten teams would win AT LEAST 3 of the 10 games, but as many as 7 wouldn't be impossible, either.

What I did NOT say was that any of the bottom 3 Big Ten teams would win more games vs MU than they would lose if all the games were played in October and November or if all 10 games were played in March.

I understand that Miami has been missing players and all, but those things happen in sports, and so, that being said, while Miami was in the midst of its 2-13-1 stretch its very likely that OSU, MSU and PSU would have won more games then they would have lost to MU during that period of time.

PSU is in its 2nd year at the Div 1 level and 1st year playing in a conf, and has made steady improvements, but obviously its going to take some time for it to get to the level that Miami of Ohio's been at. MSU is in a slump, but is less than a decade removed from a Natl Title, so like MU, they should be better come next year. OSU? I don't know, they've always been nothing better than an average to less than average hockey team. So I'd hope MU is better than them, but THIS year, during Dec, Jan or Feb, my money would have been bet on OSU. Now in March?! I'd bet on MU vs those 3, but not vs SCSU. Still believe SCSU will win this series, but it won't bother me all that much if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeynut92 View Post
      Miami will not be a threat to St Cloud
      Ahem!
      "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
      Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
      The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
      Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        If only there was an example....

Oh! How about last night? Michigan played the #1 team in the ratings, and lost. Moved from 14th to 16th in the PWR. Mankato beat the #40 team in the ratings and moved from 17 or 18 to 12th, AHEAD OF MICHIGAN. I know the RPI formula, here it is

54% of the formula is the average winning percentage of the team's opponents' opponents. The LEAST important factor is opponents winning percentage. So since the B1G mopped up in NC play, it raises the RPI of all the teams because most of their opponents' opponents are each other.

It is hilarious how you are explaining to me the intricacies of the RPI when you crapped all over it in the other thread. Really fine work.

Of course I crapped all over it in the other thread?! Because its a bullsh1t piece of crap rating system, doesn't mean I don't know how it works?!

Why is it so hilarious that I person would KNOW how a system works and also think its a BAD system?! Shouldn't someone KNOW how a system works before either praising or criticizing it?! DUH?!

And maybe I misjudged your level of understanding of the system, but how could I do that? Maybe because of your silly use of PSU as an example.

The #1 SOS in the nation won't help you if you only win 6 of your 33 games. lol

So your bringing up PSU as an example threw me off. For misjudging your level of understanding and speaking condescendingly towards you about it, I apologize, but maybe you shouldn't use such a ridiculous example next time if you want someone to think you know what you are talking about, eh?!

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post

PSU is in its 2nd year at the Div 1 level and 1st year playing in a conf, and has made steady improvements, but obviously its going to take some time for it to get to the level that Miami of Ohio's been at.
          We interrupt this program for an important announcement.

Penn State has nobody but themselves to blame for their lot in life this season. In large part, they have their cupcake schedule from last season to blame for that, one that featured 10 games against ACHA competition.

UNO took a completely different scheduling approach and had a brutal schedule in it's inaugural season and it paid dividends since UNO reached the CCHA tournament championship game in it's first season as a member of ANY conference (and only the 3rd of it's existence). Plus, they defeated Michigan, the #1 seed, at Joe Louis Arena in front of a packed house of screaming Michigan fans, even, to get to the conference title game. And, the game wasn't any fluke, either. In fact, it wasn't even a contest. Michigan got stomped.

And, I might add, UNO didn't have a club program, that "moved up", either. They created a hockey program out of thin air.

IMHO, if you schedule right, recruit well, and coach well, it shouldn't necessarily "take some time". The UNO case is ample evidence that it doesn't have to. I think Penn State is well behind the curve of where they could be if they had gone about this in a different way.

So, I don't believe Penn State deserves any sort of free passes, particularly with the resources they have at their command, which dwarf that of a school like UNO.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            We interrupt this program for an important announcement.

Penn State has nobody but themselves to blame for their lot in life this season. In large part, they have their cupcake schedule from last season to blame for that, one that featured 10 games against ACHA competition.

UNO took a completely different scheduling approach and had a brutal schedule in it's inaugural season and it paid dividends since UNO reached the CCHA tournament championship game in it's first season as a member of ANY conference (and only the 3rd of it's existence). Plus, they defeated Michigan, the #1 seed, at Joe Louis Arena in front of a packed house of screaming Michigan fans, even, to get to the conference title game. And, the game wasn't any fluke, either. In fact, it wasn't even a contest. Michigan got stomped.

And, I might add, UNO didn't have a club program, that "moved up", either. They created a hockey program out of thin air.

IMHO, if you schedule right, recruit well, and coach well, it shouldn't necessarily "take some time". The UNO case is ample evidence that it doesn't have to. I think Penn State is well behind the curve of where they could be if they had gone about this in a different way.

So, I don't believe Penn State deserves any sort of free passes, particularly with the resources they have at their command, which dwarf that of a school like UNO.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, now.

First of all, I am not giving PSU any free passes. I'm not a PSU fan in the least, except for that any success PSU has is good for college hockey as a whole.

2nd, if you honestly think that its realistic to think that teams can just pop up out of nowhere and instantly be title contenders, especially when entering into a conf with teams that have won 23 Natl Titles in the past, then you are out of your mind. If UNO did what you say that they did, then good for them. But that would have to be seen as the exception to the rule. It's just not realistic.

Where do the players come from? Most teams have Senior leadership, Jrs, Sophmores and Freshman. Outside of transfers, how is a 2nd year program going to have any Senior leadership?

Also, having an already established ACHA team probably hurts them more than it helps them, because the school probably had/has a lot of those players on the team out of a sense of not wanting to just kick them all to the curb? But I don't know for sure, because I'm not a PSU fan. But as a Gopher fan I can tell you there isn't a school in the country that can just start up a program out of thin air that can compete and beat Minnesota in their first year of existence unless they are cheating, probably not even during one of Minnesota's down years.

And I'd have to go look it up, if what you said is true about UNO's first year in a conf, but all I can tell you is I haven't read anything about all of the Natl Titles or FFs that UNO has made it to. So what happened?! Oh, I reread it, all they did was win ONE game vs Michigan. Guess what, PSU beat Top 10 rated Michigan this year as well. So what?! And PSU is only in their 2nd season, not their 3rd, so they still have THIS years Big Ten tourney, and next years Big Ten tourney to match that UNO accomplishment. Also, did they excel in their first year in the CCHA because the CCHA in general was not all that great of a conference, and maybe UNO caught the conf in a down year?! What was Michigan rated that year, and how did Michigan and the rest of the CCHA do in the NCAA tourney?

Context.

I don't think PSU is behind schedule at all. Just go look at their schedule. a ONE goal loss to #1 ranked Minnesota. A ONE goal loss to #2 ranked Boston College. TWO wins vs Top 15 rated Michigan. A tie vs Mich St. and two 1 goal losses. TWO 1 goal losses to #3 ranked Union. Two 1 goal losses vs Top 10 rated Wisconsin.

Are you nuts?! PSU is doing incredibly well under the circumstances. They are staying with the top rated teams in the country.

You are just looking at their record and their SOS from last year and ignoring the fact that they pass the eye test. I'm a gambler and I'm not betting on them to win the Big Ten conf tourney title, but I'm also not going to bet against them winning their first round matchup, either. Or their 2nd round matchup unless its the Gophers.

Comment

And UNO took FOUR years to win more games than it lost in a season. And UNO didn't make it to the NCAA tournament until their NINTH year in existence.

And UNO's 6th and 7th years in existence rank as their worst and 4th worst seasons ever. And so far, in the programs first 16 years of existence, its been to TWO ncaa tournaments and didn't make it to the FF in either attempt. So maybe how they went about things isn't as great a model as you seem to think it was?!

Comment

FTLT the ave PWR and SOS for each conference completely counters your dismissing of the B1G. Only Dipsy would argue a conference of inferior teams could manage stronger SOS playing each other and with a weaker NC schedule. It completely defies logic.

Good luck extending your series.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  No, do you need help forming a rebuttal, or something else resembling a worthwhile post?
                  Yeah, I got a rebuttal.

SIMPLE MATH.

There's your rebuttal. Stop crying.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    FTLT the ave PWR and SOS for each conference completely counters your dismissing of the B1G. Only Dipsy would argue a conference of inferior teams could manage stronger SOS playing each other and with a weaker NC schedule. It completely defies logic.

Good luck extending your series.
                    So the math just explains everything does it?
                    No way that actually watching teams can also help determine who's good and who's not?
                    Just the math.
                    Well, according to the math, OSU has a better strength of schedule than SCSU does.
                    When looking at the numbers, OSU has played one team in NC play that is currently ranked in the top 20 of RPI (UMD), their other opponents are ranked 24, 32, 37, 47, 49, & 50.
                    SCSU has played 4 top 15 RPI teams, (MN, Union, Kato, Colgate) and their other opponents are ranked 45 & 58.
                    So how is OSU's strength of schedule so much better?
                    Well part of it is they beat up on their weaker non-con schedule, the B1G ended up with a better Non-con record than the NCHC and they get 8 games against the current #1 and #5 in the RPI which helps boost it, meanwhile out best conference opponent RPI is 11, next best is 20.
                    Because the NCHC has struggled in non-con play we are hurt in the numbers because of it.
                    I'm sorry, the math may say OSU has played a tougher schedule than we have, but it just doesn't pass the eye test.
                    I'm fully confident in saying if you dropped any NCHC team into the current B1G, they'd finish no worse than 4th, better than OSU, MSU, & PSU, but drop any of those 3 teams in the NCHC, and they all finish last.
                    That comes from watching games and deciding for myself, not just relying on math.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Gopher fans are so adorable.
                      St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                        Gopher fans are so adorable.
                        Sure, if you consider a festering disease adorable.
                        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Poll of the day: Who is more arrogant? Gopher Fans or Craft Fair Shoppers.

Also, the probability of me breaking my TV tonight.
                          Originally posted by Skeeterman
                          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            Sure, if you consider a festering disease adorable.
                            Like butt cancer.
                            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Congrats Miami

Comment

I hope SCSU gets throttled in the NCAA, if they even make it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X