X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA @ UA_ It's Never Too Early to Start The Sports Hate

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Final House number is a $43 million UA system cut. One of the committee members introduced a bill to basically gut both athletic departments on top of that but it was withdrawn.

Cross your fingers the Senate comes back with a better number.
    Do you know which committee member? I wonder if that was done in an Executive Session?
    Last edited by Suze; 02-24-2015, 09:16 PM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Do you know which committee member? I wonder if that was done in an Executive Session?
      Seaton.

It was done at the close out meeting, which was public.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Seaton.

It was done at the close out meeting, which was public.
        Paul Seaton Republican Representative from Homer
        UA_ graduate

http://www.housemajority.org/members/seaton/

Along with several other post graduate programs he's a commercial fisherman so he most likely is aware of the value of athletics to our institutions.
        He doesn't appear to be Draconian so I'm hopeful he will be aware how much esteem athletics adds to our universities.
        It never hurts to put forth our position on an issue.

Comment

Rep Seaton's comments were more about cuts to "non-core" areas, including athletics as an example, but he didn't get into micro managing the cuts. Here is the 1 hour committee meeting. Others also commented on cuts to athletics.

http://www.360north.org/gavel-archiv...647_2015021379

The House committee reduced their original recommended cut of $43m to $25m. I missed if that was replacing the Governors $9m cut or in addition to the Governors $9m cut. Some confusing comments but I didn't go back and listen. A summary should be in tomorrow's paper.

This is far, far, from over. The House action means little.

Comment

Let's not forget that the state has very healthy reserves. Channel 2 news interviewed a UAA economist a month or so ago, and he said if the state budget remained level, we would have the money in our savings to pay the bills for the next 6 or 7 years. I believe the state has around 12 billion in savings (aside from the permanent fund of course).
            Last edited by Suze; 02-25-2015, 01:06 AM.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
              Rep Seaton's comments were more about cuts to "non-core" areas, including athletics as an example, but he didn't get into micro managing the cuts. Here is the 1 hour committee meeting. Others also commented on cuts to athletics.

http://www.360north.org/gavel-archiv...647_2015021379

The House committee reduced their original recommended cut of $43m to $25m. I missed if that was replacing the Governors $9m cut or in addition to the Governors $9m cut. Some confusing comments but I didn't go back and listen. A summary should be in tomorrow's paper.

This is far, far, from over. The House action means little.
              As I understand it, it's $25 million on top of Walker's $18 million cut.

However, the Senate is more friendly to UA and will likely come back with a more reasonable number (relatively speaking).
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                Paul Seaton Republican Representative from Homer
                UA_ graduate

http://www.housemajority.org/members/seaton/

Along with several other post graduate programs he's a commercial fisherman so he most likely is aware of the value of athletics to our institutions.
                He doesn't appear to be Draconian so I'm hopeful he will be aware how much esteem athletics adds to our universities.
                It never hurts to put forth our position on an issue.
                Probably why he proposed taking more money from UAA.

Joking aside, though, as much as we enjoy hating each other the fact is that we are in this mess together.

Comment

Perhaps it's time to axe the pfd, it was made for future generations to account for loss of growth and jobs when the oil is gone (which was one-sided thinking once oil was found). Well oil production is going down, Alaska has so much space available we should be one of the world's leaders in renewable energy resources. I think it's only natural we graduate to that and something else after oil. Perhaps aviation, makes sense to me. I never really knew why us Alaskans got money from something that was in our land (do we get a pfd for our salmon!?). While I certainly have liked getting a bonus in my account every October, now is the time to look closely if we need the pfd. I know for lower income families this is the least likely option they want, but cuts have to made somewhere. Spending our saved up bank account seems like a even less likely option (truly last option, isn't that why when a natural disaster happens a state will declare a state of emergency, for a handout from the government instead of paying for everything from the natural disaster?)

Anyways, there is my solution I came up with at 5 in the morning because my apartment building gets too hot when it is above 25 outside. Also sorry for any mistakes, on the mobile phone!
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

"Look on the bright side, I am voting for UAA as "Friendliest Road Game Fans - 2015".
                    Ryan J "
                    quote from Johnson's Jerseys

So put that in your pipe UA_
                    Completely unbiased truth

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                      "Look on the bright side, I am voting for UAA as "Friendliest Road Game Fans - 2015".
                      Ryan J "
                      quote from Johnson's Jerseys

So put that in your pipe UA_
                      Completely unbiased truth

5-1, 10-0
                      …sounds like both the team and the fans were giving it away all weekend.

But shouldn’t you be directing this “unbiased truth” at LSSU, FSU, BSU, UAH, NMU, or some other team that MTU actually played on the road in 2014-2015?
                      Last edited by mmf; 02-26-2015, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Heck of a promotion for next weekends Seawolf vs. dump bears at the Sully
                        4 tickets
                        4 hotdogs
                        4 sodas
                        for $40
                        Don't have all the details but the way I understand it it's only going to be available online through the Seawolf site.
                        Offer is even being extended to the UA_ fans.
                        That has to be the best deal ever for a UAA vs. UA_ tilt.

Comment

Well it's that time of the year for the UAA vs UA_ for the final showdown of the year. Alaska Pride is on the line. start churping.........
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            Well it's that time of the year for the UAA vs UA_ for the final showdown of the year. Alaska Pride is on the line. start churping.........
                            I hope ACC has been practicing their shootout skills.

Assuming UAF doesn't implode and take dumb penalties a la January, this should be a couple of great games.

Comment

I hope ACC has been practicing their shootout skills.

Assuming UAF doesn't implode and take dumb penalties a la January, this should be a couple of great games.
                              UA?
                              Think you've got a typo there Squarebanks.
                              Or at least according to the powers that be you do.
                              I much prefer the UA_

Comment

Are you going to take advantage of the 4, 4, 4 for $40?
                                It doesn't take that super computer up there to figure out that's a heckof a deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X