This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    While I am thankful for the work Cahill has done over the past few games and I won't take away from some of the big wins he's gotten us, obviously stopping those shots in the shootout are huge, I feel as though the defense the past few games (aside from Saturdays game) had been stellar and a crucial part in keeping the opposing teams offense at a minimal. So if the Nanooks can't come up with a way to bring that defense back or find a way to shut down UAAs offense then I can see a replay of Saturday happening.

I hate that things were flowing so well for the Nanooks and then Tyler Morley gets hurt so coach has to switch things around with the line-up and as soon as that happens they lose a game. Not saying any of those who came in on the line-up are bad players but it stinks that the momentum shifted so much just by one player getting hurt. Do any Nanook fans know what the extent of Morleys injury is? I saw him on crutches and someone around us said his leg was broken, but he looked relatively normal when he was getting in the picture for the cup. Hoping it's nothing too severe!
    I hate losing to UAA, but in a twisted way I'm kind of glad we lost when we did. That win streak was bound to end eventually, and I'd rather have it end in the regular season. Other than the trophy on the line, it was a meaningless game for us in terms of the final standings.

On Saturday, a lackluster first period is what cost us that game. The second and third periods we played much better (aside from the one bad turnover that led to their third goal) but UAA got the performance they needed from Gunderson to get a win.

Losing Morley hurts, but we should have enough in the tank to overcome that loss, at least for the duration of the WCHA playoffs. Kunyk will have a target on his back, but it's easy to forget that Colton Beck is right behind him with 36 points on the season. Basara and Perry are both accomplished goal scorers as well who will have to step up. Two X factors for the Nooks are Parayko and Larson. Parayko only has four goals but 19 assists on the year, and we started to get hot about the time Larson came back from injury, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Should be a great series, and I think it will go three games.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: UAA @ UA_ It's Never Too Early to Start The Sports Hate

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      I hate losing to UAA, but in a twisted way I'm kind of glad we lost when we did. That win streak was bound to end eventually, and I'd rather have it end in the regular season. Other than the trophy on the line, it was a meaningless game for us in terms of the final standings.

On Saturday, a lackluster first period is what cost us that game. The second and third periods we played much better (aside from the one bad turnover that led to their third goal) but UAA got the performance they needed from Gunderson to get a win.

Losing Morley hurts, but we should have enough in the tank to overcome that loss, at least for the duration of the WCHA playoffs. Kunyk will have a target on his back, but it's easy to forget that Colton Beck is right behind him with 36 points on the season. Basara and Perry are both accomplished goal scorers as well who will have to step up. Two X factors for the Nooks are Parayko and Larson. Parayko only has four goals but 19 assists on the year, and we started to get hot about the time Larson came back from injury, which I don't think is a coincidence.

I agree, glad to lose when we did because that's always on everyones mind whether or not they admit it and every team wants to be the one to end the streak. So while it stinks it was UAA, I would much rather lose to them in the regular season (while at least still having a chance to win the cup) than to lose to them in the post season. I just wish shootouts weren't so stressful for me. I think I had to tell myself to breathe when our boys went up to shoot.

And while Parayko has few goals, he did get the winner for the shootout so I'm ok with that. Plus being a d-man I love having his size up against the opposing teams especially because his height really doesn't slow him down much. He has a great shot on him and I almost feel bad for the guy who has to block those shots. I noticed he isn't TOO accurate but when he is, someone can get the rebound or screen the goalie well enough for him to be successful.

I hope it doesn't get to 3 games but I also think it is likely if UAA plays the way they did on Saturday. But....Go Nooks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

I've been real impressed with the Campbell and Atkinson pairing. They have really stepped it up in the last 2 months. Both on offense am defense. Atkinson has a +25 this year. And he made quite a few saves the last few weeks at times when Cahill was down or out of position. On the offensive side he has 6 assists in the last 2 weeks after only 2 in the first 32 games.

Comment

UAF is offering $5 admission to students from both UAF and UAA with valid student ID.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            UAF is offering $5 admission to students from both UAF and UAA with valid student ID.
            Do you have to go to the Patty Center or will it be available at the Carlson Center too? And are they student section seats or balcony general admission?

Comment

Do you have to go to the Patty Center or will it be available at the Carlson Center too? And are they student section seats or balcony general admission?
              Oooh, let's have the students sit together! Nothing will happen! Right?
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Is it just me or do the UA_ jerseys they wore last week, look terrible? Way too much going on, all the lines, the NASCAR type font (which I honestly only like on Boston College's jersey), and the terms Alaska, and UA_ with a polar bear I believe? Tone it down yo. Since you guys refer to your sports teams as Alaska, that should only be on your jerseys. UA_ refers to your actual school, having both on a jersey makes me laugh. Also your fans cheering for UA_ makes no sense, they should be cheering for Alaska Nanooks. Just my two cents on your bi-polar nature.
                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  That's pretty great. I'll remember that for when we host a home series.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    Is it just me or do the UA_ jerseys they wore last week, look terrible? Way too much going on, all the lines, the NASCAR type font (which I honestly only like on Boston College's jersey), and the terms Alaska, and UA_ with a polar bear I believe? Tone it down yo. Since you guys refer to your sports teams as Alaska, that should only be on your jerseys. UA_ refers to your actual school, having both on a jersey makes me laugh. Also your fans cheering for UA_ makes no sense, they should be cheering for Alaska Nanooks. Just my two cents on your bi-polar nature.
                    They are throwback jerseys that are from the 80s and are being auctioned off. So they will be back to the regular jerseys with the A for the next games.
                    And we can chant UAF all we want. Sure our sports teams are referred to as Alaska, but we are UAF as a whole so the chant is just fine.
                    Last edited by UAFIceAngel; 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                      It's called a throwback jersey. From the 80-81' season. I thought they looked better than the mercyhurst games. Brighter white, instead of that dirty white the seapups wear at home. And the anchorage fans don't even know what they are cheering for when they say let's go seawolves. What is that?

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        They did look terrible, and even Bruce and Erik mentioned numerous times how bad they were. The numbers were in yellow boxes and were very hard to see/read. Hard to believe anyone would buy them at an auction. The jerseys UA_ wore against UAA were also throwback, but they looked much better.
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          They did look terrible, and even Bruce and Erik mentioned numerous times how bad they were. The numbers were in yellow boxes and were very hard to see/read. Hard to believe anyone would buy them at an auction. The jerseys UA_ wore against UAA were also throwback, but they looked much better.
                          Wait what? The nanooks have had two different auctioned jerseys. The ones against Ferris State were a camo style for military appreciation but it was just the A logo and yes the yellow numbers but no block lettering like AKSWF said so I'm assuming they were talking about the jerseys against UAA. Then the ones this weekend against UAA were the throwback ones from the 1980-1981 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            And believe it or not but people buy the jerseys because the funds support the program. Guess you just aren't used to that concept.

Comment

And believe it or not but people buy the jerseys because the funds support the program. Guess you just aren't used to that concept.
                              Take it easy sparkles, she's just commenting on aesthetics.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                                They are throwback jerseys that are from the 80s and are being auctioned off. So they will be back to the regular jerseys with the A for the next games.
                                And we can chant UAF all we want. Sure our sports teams are referred to as Alaska, but we are UAF as a whole so the chant is just fine.
                                You should have kept those jerseys in the 80's. You are referred to Alaska for a reason, sports! Or is all that wood smoke not letting you see the actual picture. Here I will spell it out for you again. Your sports teams are called Alaska. Alaska. You know that state you live in. So why the eff chant UA_ if Alaska was specifically made for sports?
                                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X