This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA @ UA_ It's Never Too Early to Start The Sports Hate

Did you hear my shout out from Bruce Czeck on my "Go Seawolves" comment from Shreveport????

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      Sooooooo me calling you sparkles makes me an internet tough guy? Ok, Fairbanks logic I guess...
      Oh stop it, you're just embarrassing yourself and completely tipping this thread's asshat factor in favor of Anchorage - and that's takes a lot because as far as I can see, most Anchorage fans - and Fairbanks fans too - actually like to talk about the game in addition to juvenile trash talk.

Regardless of how much ego and self esteem you have riding on this college hockey team, It really means nothing to the quality of your university or your town. And these are just college kids, non-elite caliber, many/most of whom are just playing D-I hockey as the pinnacle of their careers. They love the game and are probably playing as good as they can (over all, that is, everyone has a bad game).

From what I can tell, UAA is a decent team, 100x better than last year (OK, maybe only 5 times better). Last night they ran into a buzz saw of a very good team, a team that right now seems to be playing at the top of their game and whose run puts them among the better teams in the country at this particular point in the season.

No shame at getting spanked by a better team that happens to be on a terrific roll at this point in time. I think UAA had some flashes of this themselves too a couple times this year.

Was there really only a couple of penalties in a blow out rivalry game? The UAA coach much have a good discipline basis for that team, which is probably why they've improved so much. How's their penalties compared to last few years?
      Last edited by camilo; 03-08-2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

No, that's entertaining!
        Can't argue that!
        All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

• Originally posted by camilo View Post
          Oh stop it, you're just embarrassing yourself and completely tipping this thread's asshat factor in favor of Anchorage - and that's takes a lot because as far as I can see, most Anchorage fans - and Fairbanks fans too - actually like to talk about the game in addition to juvenile trash talk.

Regardless of how much ego and self esteem you have riding on this college hockey team, It really means nothing to the quality of your university or your town. And these are just college kids, non-elite caliber, many/most of whom are just playing D-I hockey as the pinnacle of their careers. They love the game and are probably playing as good as they can (over all, that is, everyone has a bad game).

From what I can tell, UAA is a decent team, 100x better than last year (OK, maybe only 5 times better). Last night they ran into a buzz saw of a very good team, a team that right now seems to be playing at the top of their game and whose run puts them among the better teams in the country at this particular point in the season.

No shame at getting spanked by a better team that happens to be on a terrific roll at this point in time. I think UAA had some flashes of this themselves too a couple times this year.

Was there really only a couple of penalties in a blow out rivalry game? The UAA coach much have a good discipline basis for that team, which is probably why they've improved so much. How's their penalties compared to last few years?
          It's a rivalry. Whether people like or not, it has more meaning. UAA have to work and live with UAF grads all the time and things like this get mentioned all the time. It hurts a bit when you gotta grit your teeth because a UAF grad is giving you crap over a game like last night. I wonder how the students who traveled last night felt? Can you have pride in wearing that UAA shirt when you look at the scoreboard and it says 6-1 UAF? How about meetings and dealings between the Universities? You know it's gonna come up, you know the UAF people will point at the cup and smile. The hockey team is the main thing people see around the state and the country. And when UAA hockey looks bad, UAA itself looks bad. It's like that with a lot of schools and athletic teams. When somebody like Oklahoma goes to Final Four, you know everyone involved at that school feels a little better about it, wear that shirt with pride! But they get blown out Texas, they don't feel so great about OU.

It's not that UAA lost but it's how they lost. 7-2 is not a flattering scoreline, it's embarrassing. If they lost in OT you could say "hey they played alright but lost in OT to a better team." Well that didn't happen, they got blown out and looked bad doing it. This UAA team is good enough to play and beat UAF, so when they get blown out you start looking at them. Whether they like it or not, that's part of what they signed up for. You put that UAA jersey on, you're representing something. And when you look bad representing something, there's things that go with that. It's like that at any job or anything else in the world.

The reality of this series is, whether anybody likes or not, is that it is more than just the games. It has been that way, it will be that way.

The problem is, UAA has a losing culture. And people don't want to hurt peoples feelings, so they just accept it. If they want the program to really improve, then people should be angry, then people should be embarrassed. We should expect more and we shouldn't tolerate performances like that, especially against a rival. This isn't internet tough guy BS either, I have no problem saying it to their faces. And we have vested interest in seeing the program improve, we invest emotionally a lot of us, we donate money, we buy tickets, so why we should tolerate a terrible game, especially against our rival?
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            It's a rivalry. Whether people like or not, it has more meaning. UAA have to work and live with UAF grads all the time and things like this get mentioned all the time. It hurts a bit when you gotta grit your teeth because a UAF grad is giving you crap over a game like last night. I wonder how the students who traveled last night felt? Can you have pride in wearing that UAA shirt when you look at the scoreboard and it says 6-1 UAF? How about meetings and dealings between the Universities? You know it's gonna come up, you know the UAF people will point at the cup and smile. The hockey team is the main thing people see around the state and the country. And when UAA hockey looks bad, UAA itself looks bad. It's like that with a lot of schools and athletic teams. When somebody like Oklahoma goes to Final Four, you know everyone involved at that school feels a little better about it, wear that shirt with pride! But they get blown out Texas, they don't feel so great about OU.

It's not that UAA lost but it's how they lost. 7-2 is not a flattering scoreline, it's embarrassing. If they lost in OT you could say "hey they played alright but lost in OT to a better team." Well that didn't happen, they got blown out and looked bad doing it. This UAA team is good enough to play and beat UAF, so when they get blown out you start looking at them. Whether they like it or not, that's part of what they signed up for. You put that UAA jersey on, you're representing something. And when you look bad representing something, there's things that go with that. It's like that at any job or anything else in the world.

The reality of this series is, whether anybody likes or not, is that it is more than just the games. It has been that way, it will be that way.

The problem is, UAA has a losing culture. And people don't want to hurt peoples feelings, so they just accept it. If they want the program to really improve, then people should be angry, then people should be embarrassed. We should expect more and we shouldn't tolerate performances like that, especially against a rival. This isn't internet tough guy BS either, I have no problem saying it to their faces. And we have vested interest in seeing the program improve, we invest emotionally a lot of us, we donate money, we buy tickets, so why we should tolerate a terrible game, especially against our rival?
            I agree with you for the most part. However, I will never and have never been embarrassed to sport my blue and gold, so I hope you true Seawolf fans will still proudly wear your green and gold regardless of your teams record. I may not like most of the UAA fans but they are what make the rivalry a rivalry off the ice. When the Nanooks would finish last every season in the CCHA before we were lucky enough to get Gadowsky as coach I was tormented and teased constantly in grade school for loving a losing team, but I never gave up, even though I talked like it at times. But the part I agree with is being able to beat your rival, you need to be able to skate with and beat your rival.

With that being said, I don't think UAA played THAT terrible, they were caught on some bad passes and were generally out-skated, but the Nanooks have a ton of momentum in their favor and the Seawolves worked to keep up but any time the Nanooks would start to back down a bit, the Seawolves took advantage of it and got some goals and some good shots off from it. But it's just one game, maybe if the same happens tonight then you should be worried but everyone can have an off night.

Comment

But stop hating on each other and talking smack about your own team...you're all totally taking the fun away from the rest of us!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                With that being said, I don't think UAA played THAT terrible, they were caught on some bad passes and were generally out-skated, but the Nanooks have a ton of momentum in their favor and the Seawolves worked to keep up but any time the Nanooks would start to back down a bit, the Seawolves took advantage of it and got some goals and some good shots off from it. But it's just one game, maybe if the same happens tonight then you should be worried but everyone can have an off night.
                But, at that point, it was well into Garbage Time. UAF was 5-0 and had clearly backed off so things looked even.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

I get what you're saying but at the end of the day it's just a game. The sun still rose in the east this morning. How do you think I felt when UAA won 16 in a row over us in basketball? Yeah I know basketball isn't as big, but I've never once been ashamed to wear my school's colors or be a donor (to both athletics and academics) and I detested that losing streak. I'm proud of my University because it is so much more than a hockey team or a basketball team.
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
                    Let's D up tonight boys. And Suze their camera work is better than ours.
                    Sorry but I totally disagree. The UA_ camera guys try to zoom in way too often and lose the puck and the play.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      I get what you're saying but at the end of the day it's just a game. The sun still rose in the east this morning. How do you think I felt when UAA won 16 in a row over us in basketball? Yeah I know basketball isn't as big, but I've never once been ashamed to wear my school's colors or be a donor (to both athletics and academics) and I detested that losing streak. I'm proud of my University because it is so much more than a hockey team or a basketball team.
                      I know it is just a game, but I got to kind of side with Jim James on this. It is a rivalry and our performance was dismal and embarrassing. I am a DIE-HARD UAA fan, took my flag to Iraq, my make shift "office" in the field of Tikrit, Iraq sported UAA stuff. This was Saddam Heusen's home town, I had had his area DRAPPED in UAA insignia!!!! All my guys knew I was a UAA Fan, I really put UAA on the map in my squadron.

If they saw a performance like that against our rival, I would be ridiculed all the way back home to Louisiana! We are not talking about UAA against Minnesota, or UAA against UND, we are talking about UAF!!!! To be blown out was just a kick in the nuts.

I was very disappointed because a lot was on the line for this game. We really could have had home ice for the first time ever with a win and maybe a tie tonight. We really need to show up tonight and beat the nooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                        I know it is just a game, but I got to kind of side with Jim James on this. It is a rivalry and our performance was dismal and embarrassing. I am a DIE-HARD UAA fan, took my flag to Iraq, my make shift "office" in the field of Tikrit, Iraq sported UAA stuff. This was Saddam Heusen's home town, I had had his area DRAPPED in UAA insignia!!!! All my guys knew I was a UAA Fan, I really put UAA on the map in my squadron.

If they saw a performance like that against our rival, I would be ridiculed all the way back home to Louisiana! We are not talking about UAA against Minnesota, or UAA against UND, we are talking about UAF!!!! To be blown out was just a kick in the nuts.

I was very disappointed because a lot was on the line for this game. We really could have had home ice for the first time ever with a win and maybe a tie tonight. We really need to show up tonight and beat the nooks.
                        By the way, I don't want to take anything away from the Nooks, they played extremely well. The really did a good job taking it too us. And I am a UAA fan no matter what. I had a melt down one time and thought I could give them up for Texas State, but in the end, I can't do that.

Comment

Okay. So how will you feel if the nooks go on to win the WCHA championship? The way they are playing, it's a very real possibility. When UAF made it to the NCAA's a few years ago, I was unhappy losing in the first round, but took some consolation because Boston College was the best team that year and went on to prove it.
                          The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Methodical View Post
                            Okay. So how will you feel if the nooks go on to win the WCHA championship? The way they are playing, it's a very real possibility. When UAF made it to the NCAA's a few years ago, I was unhappy losing in the first round, but took some consolation because Boston College was the best team that year and went on to prove it.
                            It's a dice roll at this point. Realistically, all eight teams have a good shot. You guys and Mankato are both playing well though.

I'd still be PO'd, a loss like that to UAF, no matter how good you guys are, sucks.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Sounds like if UAA wins tonight, we get a rematch next week. If UAF wins or ties, NMU goes north and I think UAA goes to Mankato.

Oh, and there's that trophy too.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                                Oh, and there's that trophy too.
                                Hey if we win tonight, forget the shootout and the playoff winner gets the Cup!
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X