X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Final Game at Ritter/Playoffs <<<<<

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Even scheduling would have necessitated either 22 or 33 league games. That means either minimal room for non-con games, or way too many to fill, leaving inflated travel budgets, and an unsustainable model (see CHA results). komey nailed it. 10-12 non-con games requires at least a few home dates. Not going to happen at many of the league venues.

Despite our wishes, the reality is AHA is not the ECAC. Nor is it intended to be. That being said, with the resources being added year after year, the conference is getting better every year. As long as the league doesn't practice "addition by subtraction", then it will work.
    Schiegs, you and Komey are right about this, the AHA in it's present form could not sustain that many OOC games for all it's members.., I didn't really think this through. Guess I'm looking at it through "burnt umber" colored glasses and that leaves me thinking what kind of attendance will RIT have in the new barn when an AIC comes calling and in the long run will it be a mistake that RIT built such a big barn if it plans on staying in the AHA where cost containment is an important part of the equation for many of it's members.
    RPI Engineers
    RIT Tigers
    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Would the "pod scheme" have been more accepted had we simply called it what it was; East Division and West Division? It is basically identical to the scheduling format used in every other sport, but for some reason caused a lot of heartburn with AHA fans. Absent some sort of playoff spot guarantee for a division winner (which is moot in a league where everyone gets a playoff birth), what's the difference between "pods" and every other conference alignment, other than the name?
      I don't think the "heartburn" is nearly as pronounced the last couple years as it was when they instituted the concept and aligned the playoffs by pod standings rather than overall standings. While there is still a bit of a disparity between East and West, it certainly isn't as wide as it was that season when 4 of the top five overall seeds were from the West, but two of them had to play in the single game first round against the 5 and 6 West seeds, where they stood a much better chance of being upset than in today's format. If they had seeded the 12 teams overall rather than by pod, either three or four Western teams (I don't feel like looking it up right now) would have gotten a bye rather than just two. That was then, this is now.
      Yes, there still is a disparity in scheduling, but it's only a few games. Although it is still true that four of the bottom five teams in the league this year were from the East and one of the two Eastern teams that finished in the top four is no longer in the AHA next season. So the disparity will potentially blip upwards again next season... maybe.
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
        Schiegs, you and Komey are right about this, the AHA in it's present form could not sustain that many OOC games for all it's members.., I didn't really think this through. Guess I'm looking at it through "burnt umber" colored glasses and that leaves me thinking what kind of attendance will RIT have in the new barn when an AIC comes calling and in the long run will it be a mistake that RIT built such a big barn if it plans on staying in the AHA where cost containment is an important part of the equation for many of it's members.
        Valid point. My bet is that RIT creates a venue experience that can sustain attendance. Let's face it; RIT is light years ahead of nearly every AHA program in terms of attendance. The risk isn't with conference affiliation, it's with on-ice performance. A few more years like this past one would do much more damage to attendance than having AIC come to town every other year. And as other programs (Bentley, SHU, and yes, AIC) gradually add the scholarships that RIT can't, that battle could seem more real as years go by.

Which is why I find RIT fans clamoring for raising scholarship limits (or any other form of arms race) to be a real head-scratcher.
        Last edited by schiegs; 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM.
        Bentley University Hockey
        On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Which is why I find RIT fans clamoring for raising scholarship limits (or any other form of arms race) to be a real head-scratcher.
          Unless there are other plans down the road for RIT and it's committment to AHA hockey, new barns now for Canisius and RIT and maybe new barns on the horizon for other members (Bentley and whoever else needs to get with the program)? In return for RIT's ongoing committment to the AHA it appeals to the NCAA and some type of agreement can be made that would allow D1 scholarships for RIT. Pure speculation on my part. I do agree with you, more scholarships in the AHA would help those schools who offer scholarships and hurt those who do not, and indeed,be a head-scratcher for RIT, who would need to borrow a page out of the Union's current recruiting playbook to keep up.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
            If more teams in the AHA could get home non-conference games, I think this would work. But only a handful have been able to get them on a consistant basis. Hopefully Canisius having a new place and the newfound fanbase at Bentley could help in scheduling a home OOC. However, I can't think too many teams are looking to go to AIC or Sacred Heart.
            I am a little skeptical about Canisius moving into the Harbor Center, but am reserving final judgement for the finished product. If you look at the artist renderings thus far it doesn't look much more impressive than what they had at Buff State. Sure it's going to be newer and have a fresher look but to me there still big questions about what they are going to draw. I guess the good news is that students can take the metro train for $4 from campus all the way down to the arena. Hopefully that will bring more students who show up for the on campus basketball in much greater numbers. I think the general public attendance is even more up in the air. Buff State was probably a better location to draw youth hockey. The Campus was on the edge of downtown, easy to get to with free parking. Generally no one goes to anywhere near where the Harbor will be unless something happening at First Niagara Arena. Now part of the reason of building the Harbor Center is to attract more people downtown, but will see how it goes. Seems like the Harbor center is going to be mostly use for a bunch of travel teams sponsored by the Sabres. Downtown Buffalo is not booming like local politicians are trying to make us believe. There is a lot of private starting much need improvements, but still lots needs to be down and the question of the long term impact is very much in doubt. So that is the long way of saying, I am unsure if the change will improve atmosphere at Canisius games or not.

On the subject of RIT changing conference and adding scholar ships. I do think the last two years will end up being the exception rather than the rule. I like the looks of the recruiting class coming in and I think we are going to start seeing even better classes come in. I saw it at Oswego, you can talk about a new arena all you want, but until you can actually can show a recruit a game in that new arena I don't think it give you much of an advantage on the recruiting trail. I do see the AHA as a crutch for trying to bring the program to the kind of power house level it was at the D-III level. As I been saying for year, it would be worth the investment for a school the size of RIT to elevate all athletic programs to DI. It would be great for the Rochester Community and I think they would support it. There absolutely no reason Rochester can not have 1 DI college and Buffalo have 3! Scholarships along with moving into a conference where school are more committed to hockey would be a great thing...
            Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
            The Mule
            Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
              In return for RIT's ongoing committment to the AHA it appeals to the NCAA and some type of agreement can be made that would allow D1 scholarships for RIT. Pure speculation on my part.
              I'm tempted to say it will never happen, given the way the separation between divisions is being intensified (no more play-ups, etc.). We were **** lucky to get the women's squad up to D1 at all (and the delay due to the moratorium ended up working out in our favor, as it allowed us to capture a D-III title before moving up).

That said, however, I can envision one scenario. Now that new play-ups aren't allowed, they could decide that it's safe to grandfather in all of the existing play-ups and let them offer scholarships like the previously grandfathered teams. I doubt the D-III schools would vote in favor at this point in time, but maybe in several years.

(For the record: Grandfathered teams that can offer scholarships are Clarkson M/W hockey; RPI M/W hockey; St. Lawrence M/W hockey; Colorado College M hockey / W soccer; Hartwick M soccer / W water polo; Johns Hopkins M/W lacrosse; and Rutgers-Newark M volleyball. Non-grandfathered teams that can't offer scholarships are RIT M/W hockey; Union M/W hockey; Hobart lacrosse; Franklin&Marshall M wrestling; and MIT W rowing. SUNY Oneonta used to be grandfathered in M soccer but no longer plays at D-I.)

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                I'm tempted to say it will never happen, given the way the separation between divisions is being intensified (no more play-ups, etc.). We were **** lucky to get the women's squad up to D1 at all (and the delay due to the moratorium ended up working out in our favor, as it allowed us to capture a D-III title before moving up).

That said, however, I can envision one scenario. Now that new play-ups aren't allowed, they could decide that it's safe to grandfather in all of the existing play-ups and let them offer scholarships like the previously grandfathered teams. I doubt the D-III schools would vote in favor at this point in time, but maybe in several years.

(For the record: Grandfathered teams that can offer scholarships are Clarkson M/W hockey; RPI M/W hockey; St. Lawrence M/W hockey; Colorado College M hockey / W soccer; Hartwick M soccer / W water polo; Johns Hopkins M/W lacrosse; and Rutgers-Newark M volleyball. Non-grandfathered teams that can't offer scholarships are RIT M/W hockey; Union M/W hockey; Hobart lacrosse; Franklin&Marshall M wrestling; and MIT W rowing. SUNY Oneonta used to be grandfathered in M soccer but no longer plays at D-I.)

Powers &8^]
                With all the changes over the last decade, it's hard to keep track. But, is it true that a program cannot reclassify it's entire athletic program from D-III straight to D-I? A transition via D-II is required? Wouldn't you then need to complete two divisional transitional periods, amounting to perhaps a decade of sports limbo?
                Bentley University Hockey
                On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

With all the changes over the last decade, it's hard to keep track. But, is it true that a program cannot reclassify it's entire athletic program from D-III straight to D-I? A transition via D-II is required? Wouldn't you then need to complete two divisional transitional periods, amounting to perhaps a decade of sports limbo?
                  As far as I know, that too is true.

Powers &8^]

Comment

However, once you are at D-II, you can offer scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      Here are some photos of the Polisseni construction: http://imgur.com/a/mTCcg

Any concerns I had are long gone...it's going to be an amazing barn. I'll answer what questions I can..
                      Well that answers my question about standing room! Standing room makes for a much more intimidating arena to play in.

I would like to know how many people will be able to sit in the bowl and then I would also like to know how much standing room will be.

I would assume around 4,200 seats in bowl and another 1000 for standing. Please someone know!
                      R I T HOCKEY
                      Frozen Four
                      Elite Eight
                      NCAA Tournament
                      2010-2015-2016
                      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                        Well that answers my question about standing room! Standing room makes for a much more intimidating arena to play in.

I would like to know how many people will be able to sit in the bowl and then I would also like to know how much standing room will be.

I would assume around 4,200 seats in bowl and another 1000 for standing. Please someone know!
                        I seem to recall that they have been talking 350 standing (probably 1 deep at the railing). From the most recent rendering (posted on the Polissini FB page) the only break at the railing would appear to be the 4 suites that will be on the west side of the bowl. The posted pictures sure make me look forward to the first game next season. Really does look like it will be an awesome place to enjoy a game.
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          I seem to recall that they have been talking 350 standing (probably 1 deep at the railing). From the most recent rendering (posted on the Polissini FB page) the only break at the railing would appear to be the 4 suites that will be on the west side of the bowl. The posted pictures sure make me look forward to the first game next season. Really does look like it will be an awesome place to enjoy a game.
                          Anything show a hint of handicap seating along the rail?

A lot of stadiums and venues reserve space along the rail for wheel chair and handicap seating so the site lines are not disturbed for people sitting on the other side of the aisle.
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                            And lets not forget to reserve some space for the RIT Ice Tigers Cheerleaders!
                            RPI Engineers
                            RIT Tigers
                            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

There are two areas at the rail that are indented for handicap seating. on on the north west side and one on the south east side.

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                              Anything show a hint of handicap seating along the rail?

A lot of stadiums and venues reserve space along the rail for wheel chair and handicap seating so the site lines are not disturbed for people sitting on the other side of the aisle.
                              Warning: I'm Loud and Obnoxious at Hockey Games!

"With the lights out in the arena moments before players skated onto the
                              ice, Cornell supporters began a 'Let's Go Red' chant that was tersely
                              drowned out by RIT fans in the boisterous crowd of 5,142." The Ithaca Journal.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Goon View Post
                                There are two areas at the rail that are indented for handicap seating. on on the north west side and one on the south east side.
                                I have also seen these indented areas used by camera crews in other rinks (maybe because they were not needed by a fan) although I couldn't imagine a new rink that did not offer handicap accessibility/viewing. I would assume that would be in the building code.
                                RPI Engineers
                                RIT Tigers
                                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Working...
                                X