Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kdaddy1968
    replied
    Re: Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
    As you wish...your band sucks, your uniforms are butt-ugly, and your mascot has the mange.

PS - I agree about the games although I could do with less edge of my seat and more my team being up by three goals (hell...even one goal) excitement.
    I wish we had road gold/yellow instead of green. I like the home whites..

Leave a comment:

• CleggyofUML
    replied
    Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Man it would be nice to play with a lead in this series. I expect the worst crowd of the series today, unfortunately.
    It will be the worst without a doubt. A lot of people, myself included, have St. Patrick's day events with family. So another thing to mention is that anyone going, be careful on the drive back. People will drink and be stupid.

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
    PS - I agree about the games although I could do with less edge of my seat and more my team being up by three goals (hell...even one goal) excitement.
    Man it would be nice to play with a lead in this series. I expect the worst crowd of the series today, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• ULowell'81
    replied

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    Now back to our originally schedule *****fest
    As you wish...your band sucks, your uniforms are butt-ugly, and your mascot has the mange.

Leave a comment:

• jcarter7669
    replied

All flaming aside I am amazed at how close these two teams have played... after 4 games each team has played two games at home (and are 1-1 in their own barn), they have each won 2 and lost 2 and have each scored 8 goals and given up 8 goals.

While Patronick in one of his delusional tirades may bring up how UVM was outplayed last night, the better team doesn't always win, and that's been the case with these two teams. Wins are sometimes ugly, there was a fluke goal UML won the game with in BTV, then there was the shot that went in from the red line, etc etc etc... the officiating gave them one here, and gave one back there... blah blah blah. Bottom line is watching the videos most of the goals have been garbage goals outside of Wilson's breakaway. But then again, most guys don't score that GWG, Puskarich was reaching and still got it on net with some umph behind it. That's a nice goal in my book, but a lucky rebound. No different then the one that ended Game 1 of the season series. Each team has had things to deal with over the 4 games, and in the end they have capitalizes on some and not on others.

Like it or not, this series has been amazingly close... I would have thought at least one of these games would have been decided by more then 1 goal.... but it has made for an exciting series so far.

Now back to our originally schedule *****fest

Leave a comment:

• jcarter7669
    replied

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    Only Vermont fans can take a weekend split and turn it into a cry-fest about the officiating.
    Move on
    Because if Vermont manages to get past Amherst they're going to get swept in Lowell anyway?

Vermont managed to come out on senior night and stave off almost certain NCAA elimination by getting the flukiest of fluke goals past the best goalie in the country and then hanging on

if these that series was played in Lowell it's a River Hawk sweep, and it's not close. Vermont fans, delusional as always, have somehow talked themselves into believing that they're a team Lowell doesn't want to see.
    Dope

Leave a comment:

• Cat lover
    replied

It was consistent in the way that Kapla had been called for the same thing late in the second period. Again, I thought the officials did a pretty good job last night.

I think if Paliotta had just slowed him up he would have been fine. The takedown, right in front of the ref, was just way too obvious to be ignored.
    Yea the refs do a great job when they give you a PP in the last 2 minutes but shame if they give any calls to the other team. And
    that call didnt end the game UML had plendy of time to win it afterwards.

Also heres a stat you wont like...

Vermont and UML have now played 250+minutes this year and so far UML has held the lead for only 1:18. Now thats dominance.

Leave a comment:

• Cat lover
    replied

I saw the call and by the rules it was correct. Hate to say but you cant put yourself in that spot to let a ref make that call.
    Kinda like the US women getting that call when the player hit the goailes pad after the shot on the 4 on 3 in OT. Questionable
    maybe but endless you are saving a scoring chance why even take the chance.

That said the hit on Bruneteau could have been more than a 2 as the UML player clearly left his feet. and hit the man from behind.

Leave a comment:

• UML
    replied
    Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    What appeared to be a cross check to McGrath's neck was also interesting.
    I was sitting behind the net for that one. Refs see the cross check up close and let it go. Maybe the interference call was a make up.

Leave a comment:

• Patronick
    replied

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    I'll agree that the time on the clock shouldn't matter. But also not having watched the game I'll ask if the call was consistent with how the game was being called throughout. That's the only time I think the clock matters as sometimes ref let them play all game and then fearing things might get out of hand start being stricter. That I think is wrong, the game needs to be consistent throughout... and this game likely was, again I didn't see it.

Regardless, penalties no matter when they are do not really matter. There are no PW points for games that you almost won and this game is in the books. Time for UVM to step it up and play 110% if 100% isn't getting it done. It's that or start cleaning out lockers, because if they lose tonight I think they need some help from other teams to get an invite.
    It was consistent in the way that Kapla had been called for the same thing late in the second period. Again, I thought the officials did a pretty good job last night.

I think if Paliotta had just slowed him up he would have been fine. The takedown, right in front of the ref, was just way too obvious to be ignored.

Leave a comment:

• UMLFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    It was textbook interference. Lowell player dumps the puck in, and then goes down the wall to go after it. Paliotta checks him into the boards a good 2-3 seconds after the puck is dumped in. That call will get made 98 times out of 100.

I always hate when people complain about a call late in a game. The time on the clock and/or the score shouldn't matter. Either it was a penalty and you call it, or it wasn't and play continues. There should be no in between.
    I also thought it was blatant and really was shocked that he took such a stupid penalty.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

It was textbook interference. Lowell player dumps the puck in, and then goes down the wall to go after it. Paliotta checks him into the boards a good 2-3 seconds after the puck is dumped in. That call will get made 98 times out of 100.

I always hate when people complain about a call late in a game. The time on the clock and/or the score shouldn't matter. Either it was a penalty and you call it, or it wasn't and play continues. There should be no in between.
    Oddly enough, the league observers agree with you. That hit was just blatant.

Leave a comment:

• jcarter7669
    replied

I'll agree that the time on the clock shouldn't matter. But also not having watched the game I'll ask if the call was consistent with how the game was being called throughout. That's the only time I think the clock matters as sometimes ref let them play all game and then fearing things might get out of hand start being stricter. That I think is wrong, the game needs to be consistent throughout... and this game likely was, again I didn't see it.

Regardless, penalties no matter when they are do not really matter. There are no PW points for games that you almost won and this game is in the books. Time for UVM to step it up and play 110% if 100% isn't getting it done. It's that or start cleaning out lockers, because if they lose tonight I think they need some help from other teams to get an invite.

Leave a comment:

• ScottK
    replied

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    In Sneddon's defense, how the heck do you call an interference penalty with less than 2 minutes left in a tied playoff hockey game that also has huge NCAA tourney implications for one of the teams. I can maybe see a tripping call if clearly took away a scoring opportunity, but interference..... I'll confess, I didn't see the penalty in question (or the game for that matter), so what was your take on it? Was it really that blatant and heinous that it had to be called? Anyway, I think if I were Sneddon, I'd have been livid too.

Leave a comment:

• UVM Cat in Texas
    replied

There wasn't a single call last night that wasn't deserved, on either side.

This game wasn't stolen from UVM. Lowell won it. Lowell dominated the first, UVM destroyed them in the second, and Lowell pulled away in the third.

Since everyone in Vermont was such a big fan of keeping it classy (see: the hit at the end of the second game in Burlington) I'm sure they'll call out their coach for colorful, maniacal tirade at the end of the game. I sit center ice and I read lips pretty well. He was WAAAAAAY out of line and deserves to hear from the league - and I say this being a Sneddon fan.
    In Sneddon's defense, how the heck do you call an interference penalty with less than 2 minutes left in a tied playoff hockey game that also has huge NCAA tourney implications for one of the teams. I can maybe see a tripping call if clearly took away a scoring opportunity, but interference..... I'll confess, I didn't see the penalty in question (or the game for that matter), so what was your take on it? Was it really that blatant and heinous that it had to be called? Anyway, I think if I were Sneddon, I'd have been livid too.

Regarding the game overall, this have been UVM's modus operandi all season--losing games they could/should have won. If we had even won half these game, we wouldn't be sitting in such a precarious situation for the big dance. The way I see it, if they can't win tonight, they really have no chance of winning a NC anyway, and probably don't deserve to be there. Thus, we'll see just how badly the boys want it. It won't be easy as Lowell will be stepping on their throats trying to finish the job tonight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X