Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    I believe it's $8.99 a game, which I do not consider reasonably priced. Maybe $8 but jeez, you can get tickets to the game at some arenas for that... sadly not UVM, but we do have free video stream... yet one more edge for the Cats
    So UVM lost ... but at least you're not BC. Wow.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      So UVM lost ... but at least you're not BC. Wow.
      You sure they didn't play BC High's team? That was ridiculous.

Anyways back to our game. UML stole that game thanks to the penalty at the end. I liked UVM's play especially in the second but the refs thought you guys hit too hard I guess.

Also, can you leave the band back in VT?
      I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post

Anyways back to our game. UML stole that game thanks to the penalty at the end. I liked UVM's play especially in the second but the refs thought you guys hit too hard I guess.
        That has been the case much of the year sadly. It's unfortunate but too many times this year UVM has had games stolen from them for some reason or the other.... They have been on the cusp too many times and lost points. It really has been a bad year with regards to that.

The refs are terrible that way... it's almost like they forget its a men's game and not a women's game. If there is a big hit they are calling a penalty clean or not, and it's been sad to watch. Hitting is a part of hockey and the only hits that aren't called are the love taps. Someone needs to sit down with the refs and show them the difference between a hard clean hit and one where there is an actual penalty.

I'm not going to complain to much because ultimately the team needs to adjust to the refs, but still if you are trying to be a physical team and you can't hit anyone it severely diminishes your odds of success.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

That has been the case much of the year sadly. It's unfortunate but too many times this year UVM has had games stolen from them for some reason or the other.... They have been on the cusp too many times and lost points. It really has been a bad year with regards to that.

The refs are terrible that way... it's almost like they forget its a men's game and not a women's game. If there is a big hit they are calling a penalty clean or not, and it's been sad to watch. Hitting is a part of hockey and the only hits that aren't called are the love taps. Someone needs to sit down with the refs and show them the difference between a hard clean hit and one where there is an actual penalty.

I'm not going to complain to much because ultimately the team needs to adjust to the refs, but still if you are trying to be a physical team and you can't hit anyone it severely diminishes your odds of success.
          There wasn't a single call last night that wasn't deserved, on either side.

This game wasn't stolen from UVM. Lowell won it. Lowell dominated the first, UVM destroyed them in the second, and Lowell pulled away in the third.

Since everyone in Vermont was such a big fan of keeping it classy (see: the hit at the end of the second game in Burlington) I'm sure they'll call out their coach for colorful, maniacal tirade at the end of the game. I sit center ice and I read lips pretty well. He was WAAAAAAY out of line and deserves to hear from the league - and I say this being a Sneddon fan.
          Lowell Forever
          Forever Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by Patronick View Post

This game wasn't stolen from UVM. Lowell won it. Lowell dominated the first, UVM destroyed them in the second, and Lowell pulled away in the third.

Since everyone in Vermont was such a big fan of keeping it classy (see: the hit at the end of the second game in Burlington) I'm sure they'll call out their coach for colorful, maniacal tirade at the end of the game. I sit center ice and I read lips pretty well. He was WAAAAAAY out of line and deserves to hear from the league - and I say this being a Sneddon fan.
            What appeared to be a cross check to McGrath's neck was also interesting.
            Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Well jumping ahead to tonight, I see this being an even closer game than yesterday. More physicality and a lot more desperation out of UVM. Wouldn't be surprised if they get the W here. Almost kind of want it so you guys have a better chance in getting into the NCAA. More HEA the better.
              I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

• Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
                Well jumping ahead to tonight, I see this being an even closer game than yesterday. More physicality and a lot more desperation out of UVM. Wouldn't be surprised if they get the W here. Almost kind of want it so you guys have a better chance in getting into the NCAA. More HEA the better.
                I'm going to pretend I didn't read that post.
                Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post

In the past Sneddon has suspended himself when he got out of line, even without the league telling him to. If he was waaaaaayyy out of line I suspect he will do the same. That in mind, if Bennett gets 4 games for punching a player in the head and going after an opposing coach I'm not sure what a tirade at the end of the game should warrant. Please feel free to submit your complaint to Bertagna.

Comment

Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
                    That's the most level headed thing I've ever heard from a Lowell Fan... Are you sure you went to Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post

In Sneddon's defense, how the heck do you call an interference penalty with less than 2 minutes left in a tied playoff hockey game that also has huge NCAA tourney implications for one of the teams. I can maybe see a tripping call if clearly took away a scoring opportunity, but interference..... I'll confess, I didn't see the penalty in question (or the game for that matter), so what was your take on it? Was it really that blatant and heinous that it had to be called? Anyway, I think if I were Sneddon, I'd have been livid too.

Regarding the game overall, this have been UVM's modus operandi all season--losing games they could/should have won. If we had even won half these game, we wouldn't be sitting in such a precarious situation for the big dance. The way I see it, if they can't win tonight, they really have no chance of winning a NC anyway, and probably don't deserve to be there. Thus, we'll see just how badly the boys want it. It won't be easy as Lowell will be stepping on their throats trying to finish the job tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        In Sneddon's defense, how the heck do you call an interference penalty with less than 2 minutes left in a tied playoff hockey game that also has huge NCAA tourney implications for one of the teams. I can maybe see a tripping call if clearly took away a scoring opportunity, but interference..... I'll confess, I didn't see the penalty in question (or the game for that matter), so what was your take on it? Was it really that blatant and heinous that it had to be called? Anyway, I think if I were Sneddon, I'd have been livid too.
                        It was textbook interference. Lowell player dumps the puck in, and then goes down the wall to go after it. Paliotta checks him into the boards a good 2-3 seconds after the puck is dumped in. That call will get made 98 times out of 100.

I always hate when people complain about a call late in a game. The time on the clock and/or the score shouldn't matter. Either it was a penalty and you call it, or it wasn't and play continues. There should be no in between.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                          It was textbook interference. Lowell player dumps the puck in, and then goes down the wall to go after it. Paliotta checks him into the boards a good 2-3 seconds after the puck is dumped in. That call will get made 98 times out of 100.

I always hate when people complain about a call late in a game. The time on the clock and/or the score shouldn't matter. Either it was a penalty and you call it, or it wasn't and play continues. There should be no in between.
                          I'll agree that the time on the clock shouldn't matter. But also not having watched the game I'll ask if the call was consistent with how the game was being called throughout. That's the only time I think the clock matters as sometimes ref let them play all game and then fearing things might get out of hand start being stricter. That I think is wrong, the game needs to be consistent throughout... and this game likely was, again I didn't see it.

Regardless, penalties no matter when they are do not really matter. There are no PW points for games that you almost won and this game is in the books. Time for UVM to step it up and play 110% if 100% isn't getting it done. It's that or start cleaning out lockers, because if they lose tonight I think they need some help from other teams to get an invite.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post

Oddly enough, the league observers agree with you. That hit was just blatant.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post

I also thought it was blatant and really was shocked that he took such a stupid penalty.
                              Monty

Comment

I'll agree that the time on the clock shouldn't matter. But also not having watched the game I'll ask if the call was consistent with how the game was being called throughout. That's the only time I think the clock matters as sometimes ref let them play all game and then fearing things might get out of hand start being stricter. That I think is wrong, the game needs to be consistent throughout... and this game likely was, again I didn't see it.

Regardless, penalties no matter when they are do not really matter. There are no PW points for games that you almost won and this game is in the books. Time for UVM to step it up and play 110% if 100% isn't getting it done. It's that or start cleaning out lockers, because if they lose tonight I think they need some help from other teams to get an invite.
                                It was consistent in the way that Kapla had been called for the same thing late in the second period. Again, I thought the officials did a pretty good job last night.

I think if Paliotta had just slowed him up he would have been fine. The takedown, right in front of the ref, was just way too obvious to be ignored.
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X