Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    Except that there are different rules for goalies. So, position is not irrelevant.
    How is the penalty different then ramming a guy from behind along the boards? Still the same chief, only different because everyone wants to protect the goalie.

And speaking of goalies, what is with Hellebuyck, nervous tick or something. The kids head twitches back and forth enough to give me whiplash. Can't argue with his results but man its distracting.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
      As I saw the play unfolding I thought “oh crap this is going to get ugly.” I won't make an excuse for Holmstrom’s or Arnold’s actions because every time I see an opponent pull one of those stunts I get PO’d. I cannot agree with your hyperbole JCarter; the Riverhawks aren’t a bunch of unsportsmanlike goons. Holmstrom plays with some edge; McGrath toes the Little Ball of Hate Lite line but Arnold’s one of the last guys I would have expected to be involved. Their reaction to Paliotta’s move back towards the boards was so quick and intentional it made me wonder if something had occurred between him and one of them (or a Lowell player) during either game that I'd missed (again…not condoning).

Regardless, I think the penalty fit the crime and that should be the end of it. I don’t know if it was egregious enough to give the Cats more incentive to beat Lowell than they would have otherwise but it certainly appears to have stoked the flames of the fan base.

PS – Thank you UVM for the game feed; I enjoyed watching both games from the friendly confines of home.
      I appreciate your level headed and unbiased assessment. Not having watched the river hawks much the past two season I can't speak to their unsportsmanlike goonship over those years, however in years past they have given MC a run for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
        That kind of stuff happens at the end of almost every game I have ever attended. . I'm not sure why we are still talking about it.
        Because if we weren't this thread would have ended, and since your next games are probably going to be against UVM why bother letting this thread die only to make a new one in two weeks. I thought throwing a cinder on the dried sticks in the mud that are Patrondick and ScottyK would suffice to keep the coals going for another week or two. Looks like I'm smarter then most of you give me credit for...

Comment

Originally posted by BTV802 View Post
          Well if Rob "Mad Dog" Hamilton has anything to do with it...
          Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
          Hmmm, I've always known him as "Raging" Rob Hamilton....
          I'd go with "Hacksaw Hamilton" or maybe Rob "Van Damme"

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
            I find it funny that no one has thought to post this side of the story.

How dumb is it to give the team you are most likely going to face in your next games another reason
            to really want to beat you. I think UML's coach should be more mad at the players for that then anything
            else.

Hope those two guys have eyes in the back of thier heads if VT plays them.
            Because if Vermont manages to get past Amherst they're going to get swept in Lowell anyway?

Vermont managed to come out on senior night and stave off almost certain NCAA elimination by getting the flukiest of fluke goals past the best goalie in the country and then hanging on for the last 30 minutes of the game despite the River Hawks continually putting themselves a man down.

Congrats, good win. There's the banner moment for your entire season.

Like I said before these weekend games, if these that series was played in Lowell it's a River Hawk sweep, and it's not close. Vermont fans, delusional as always, have somehow talked themselves into believing that they're a team Lowell doesn't want to see.

Nope.

Notre Dame is the team that no one wants to play. Bring on Vermont.
            Lowell Forever
            Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
              Because if Vermont manages to get past Amherst they're going to get swept in Lowell anyway?

Vermont managed to come out on senior night and stave off almost certain NCAA elimination by getting the flukiest of fluke goals past the best goalie in the country and then hanging on for the last 30 minutes of the game despite the River Hawks continually putting themselves a man down.

Congrats, good win. There's the banner moment for your entire season.

Like I said before these weekend games, if these that series was played in Lowell it's a River Hawk sweep, and it's not close. Vermont fans, delusional as always, have somehow talked themselves into believing that they're a team Lowell doesn't want to see.

Nope.

Notre Dame is the team that no one wants to play. Bring on Vermont.
              Vermont is 7-3 in HE this year on the road and have won 5 straight. They have played much better on the road then at home which
              one UML poster tried to use as reason UML would win last week which didt work out so well.

Also your previous post on how UML is a better scoring team then Vermont is now false as Vermont passed UML in GPG several games ago.
              And with only 5 goals in its last 4 games that killer OFF seems to have gone cold.

And your claim to the better goalies didnt hold up last week did it, while the stats show that yours are overall better he definately got outplayed
              by Hoffman and after Saturday I think teams now know they just need to back up on Hellybuck to score more.
              Last edited by Cat lover; 03-04-2014, 05:43 AM.
              New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

by getting the flukiest of fluke goals past the best goalie in the country
                Now the shiite is getting deep... hold on and let me get out my waders. Hellebuyck is an excellent goalie but best goalie in the country... he isn't even the best goalie in the league.

But it ought to keep the discussion going for a while... well done on a nice flame

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                  That kind of stuff happens at the end of almost every game I have ever attended. . I'm not sure why we are still talking about it.
                  I always wondered what kept UML fans going to the games. Now I get it. Sleep through the snooze fest, then awaken in time to see the fireworks at the end. Brilliant!
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Here is your new slogan... "UML - The Charlestown Chiefs of Hockey East!" ..pure poetry

Comment

I'm not sure if there's more trolling in here or on the forum boards right now?
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        Hellebuyck is an excellent goalie but best goalie in the country... he isn't even the best goalie in the league.
                        Not trying to take anyone's side here, but heck, I'm not even sure he's the best goalie on his own team this year. Doug Carr has been playing great. Its definitely a 1 & 1A situation between those two this year. Last year he was significantly better than Doug.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                          Here is your new slogan... "UML - The Charlestown Chiefs of Hockey East!" ..pure poetry
                          I don't buy JCarter's assertion nor yours on this topic either. While not every cheap shot gets called a team that has a propensity for that type of play gets a reputation which normally results in more penalty minutes. Statistically speaking since 2003-2004 (I though 11 years would represent a fair amount of your likely viewing history) Lowell has had only one season (2005-06) where they had more penalties called against them than their opponents and only two where it resulted into more penalty minutes (2004-05 and 2005-06). The overall numbers were UML: 2286 penalties/5228 minutes versus Opponents: 2462/5778. I suppose I could drill down further and compare majors, 10 minute, game/gross misconducts, and match calls but the three years I did review (2003-2006) showed them to be about even.

I'm not calling them choirboys by any stretch but by comparison to the Lowell Chiefs of my undergrad days the current iteration seem more like a bunch of pussycats...at least to my admittedly biased eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by BTV802 View Post
                            Well if Rob "Mad Dog" Hamilton has anything to do with it...
                            Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                            Hmmm, I've always known him as "Raging" Rob Hamilton....
                            Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                            I'd go with "Hacksaw Hamilton" or maybe Rob "Van Damme"
                            If we are making Slapshot references, how about Rob "Dr. Hook" Hamilton?

Comment

This thread is awesome. UVM had better play UML in two weeks for the benefit of us all.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Uh huh that's an interesting perspective...but the way I see it UML only managed to stay in the game at all because they hung on to avoid being down 4-0 after a pathetic first period.

Comment

Working...
                                X