Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
    I thought it was the worst two games UVM has played in quite some time although the first BU game was pretty bad also. Some of that is credit to UML for clogging things up and causing turnovers in UVM end, but in general UVM did not play with the speed and physicality that has been the norm recently and their passing was god awful

However, Hoffman played his best two games as a Catamount and that helped offset the poor performance from the skaters. Again, I credit UML for causing a great deal of the UVM underperformance. But interesting that I thought UVM played considerably better against BC (faster, more offense, better passing, better puck possession) despite the worse outcomes. The difference being that BC finishes most mistakes and UML did not, both of their own failure and Hoffmans improved play.

I am not looking forward to a QF rematch at Lowell, I think UML would prevail in a two game set by a goal or two. Hopefully UVM takes care of business Friday and we see an upset in one of the other games, i would relish the Cats playing PC, Maine or NU, I think they can take any of series'. UVM needs Massar back, his absence was noticeable.
    UVM could also use some ECAC help with either Cornell or Colgate getting taken out when they play. UVM does seem to play better on the road so maybe that is not such a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
      Classless cheapshot after the buzzer by two Lowell players, no excuse for that and they clearly knew the game was over.
      I would like to see some supplemental discipline on that one.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        I would like to see some supplemental discipline on that one.
        Watching the stream, it wasn't clear exactly what happened. The only penalty called was a two-minute penalty on Holmstrom at the whistle.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          Watching the stream, it wasn't clear exactly what happened. The only penalty called was a two-minute penalty on Holmstrom at the whistle.
          Go to the UVM site and watch the highlights and it shows the ending, Paliota just skates the puck to the corner and two Lowell players run him from behind after the buzzer for
          no other reason then they lost.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            Arnold and Holmstrom put a hit on Paliotta at or just after the buzzer. At ~1:48 of the highlight clip.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmJ...layer_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
              Arnold and Holmstrom put a hit on Paliotta at or just after the buzzer. At ~1:48 of the highlight clip.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsmJ...layer_embedded
              i see the hit, but what would be supplemental? He goes down under the force of his teammate coming in to support during the scrum.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                i see the hit, but what would be supplemental? He goes down under the force of his teammate coming in to support during the scrum.
                Maybe watch Arnold a little closer. LOOKS like the dude had zero intention of going after the puck and literally jumps up in the air so that he can wrap his arm around Paliotta to take him down. Then to top it off LOOKS he tries to throw a punch to the back of Paliotta's head once he's down.

Can't claim to know what his intention was here but certainly doesn't look as innocent as you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  You can't be serious... even wearing red and blue glass you can't possibly think that #29 and #12 are innocent in anything...

So let me walk you through this... you have Paliotta with back turned facing the glass. You have Holstrom charging, and boarding, hitting from behind etc. You have Arnold come skating in Leap into the air grabbing Paliotta around the head and then dragging him down to the ice. They didn't get to the ice from anything other then Arnold dragging him down... There's video replay and it is super clear... no doubt about it. I mean everyone has a little bias for their team but you can't defend Arnold and Holstrom in that...

Both should be suspended for their next game...
                  Originally posted by Hokydad
                  Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    You can't be serious... even wearing red and blue glass you can't possibly think that #29 and #12 are innocent in anything...

So let me walk you through this... you have Paliotta with back turned facing the glass. You have Holstrom charging, and boarding, hitting from behind etc. You have Arnold come skating in Leap into the air grabbing Paliotta around the head and then dragging him down to the ice. They didn't get to the ice from anything other then Arnold dragging him down... There's video replay and it is super clear... no doubt about it. I mean everyone has a little bias for their team but you can't defend Arnold and Holstrom in that...

Both should be suspended for their next game...
                    Exaggerate much? Did we watch the same video? Yes, Arnold and Holmstrom hit him, and Holmstrom got a penalty for hitting after the whistle. But that's all it was. As bad as HE refs have been this year, they don't miss penalties as egregious as you suggest after the whistle. If that is a suspendable offense, then Hockey East has missed about 100 suspensions this season. Please, something like that play happens nearly every game.

if it really was that bad, why is it that Sneddon never even mentioned it in his post-game comments?
                    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                      Exaggerate much? Did we watch the same video? Yes, Arnold and Holmstrom hit him, and Holmstrom got a penalty for hitting after the whistle. But that's all it was. As bad as HE refs have been this year, they don't miss penalties as egregious as you suggest after the whistle. If that is a suspendable offense, then Hockey East has missed about 100 suspensions this season. Please, something like that play happens nearly every game.

if it really was that bad, why is it that Sneddon never even mentioned it in his post-game comments?
                      I was sitting right there. The video does not do it justice. Both guys eyes weren't even looking at the puck there were looking straight at Paliotta. Sneddon spoke to the refs and requested a report be written. It was a real shame because both teams played hard over the weekend with not a lot of dirty play and they ended on a dirty play.

Comment

• Re: Lowell @ Vermont, 2/28 and 3/1: Let the games commence!

Only Vermont fans can take a weekend split and turn it into a cry-fest about the officiating.

Move on and worry about the one game vs Amherst. I think Vermont wins, but no team should be truly comfortable in a one game playoff. One bad night or one hot goalie the other way and that's the season.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by HOCKEYGUY23 View Post
                          I was sitting right there. The video does not do it justice. Both guys eyes weren't even looking at the puck there were looking straight at Paliotta. Sneddon spoke to the refs and requested a report be written. It was a real shame because both teams played hard over the weekend with not a lot of dirty play and they ended on a dirty play.
                          From the video I saw it looks like Holmstrom slows down a bit before he makes contact. He still hits him after the whistle but it didn't look that bad to me. Arnold on the other hand absolutely looked like he just came in to grab Paliotta and toss him to the ground. Not sure about a punch but totally inexcusable to be doing something like that.
                          Did something happen during the game that Paliotta was involved in that would have caused something like that to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                            Only Vermont fans can take a weekend split and turn it into a cry-fest about the officiating.

Move on and worry about the one game vs Amherst. I think Vermont wins, but no team should be truly comfortable in a one game playoff. One bad night or one hot goalie the other way and that's the season.

You should read your quotes after you lost in the FF....that said this was at the whistle...thuggery sure..late..probably not.

Comment

Funny how no one mentioned Hamilton (#5) who took down the pile with his left hook to Holmstrom's head and got his stick up behind Arnold's head while trying to rip his helmet off with the other hand. No way the league acts against 2 clean players like Holmstrom and Arnold for the little after whistle bumps they gave Paliotta especially considering Paliotta and Hamilton are well known goons.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                                especially considering Paliotta and Hamilton are well known goons.
                                That's information I was looking for. Didn't know that about those guys.
                                Makes sense now why Arnold would jump in like that. I was surprised to see him in that situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X