Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Officiating First Half

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    I am not going to bash Schafer at all. His record speaks for itself. He is among the coaches though that get lost in the event while on the bench. There are a few guys that are kind of jerks on the bench, but good guys outside...Schafer, Donato and Gaudet lead in that category!

Kepler nailed it. We all hated Belanger, Noeth and Amian too, but it was remarkably consistent and I actually think it is/was a penalty for playing three blind mice....I know the bands / stereo had to stop playing that at Appleton because they were told to by the league I guess. ECAC officiating now is like a box of chocolates!!!

Kotyra is on my list because when he has put the screws to us, it is in the playoffs.

As for our radio guys...sure there have been times where Greg went a bit overboard, but more often than not I am at the games and not listening. That we agree on most matters related to officiating makes him good in my opinion.

During the Belanger era, it was a much tougher league. You paid the price big time for parking in front of the net. Now, any contact that looks bad is called regardless of whether it is actually a penalty. I agree, the linesmen can be brutal on some nights and those calls HAVE to be reliable. I don't want an edge. I want players on both teams protected and I want consistency. I find the officiating incredibly inconsistent.

Hell, at Union last year I think every penalty called on SLU was by one ref (Barnard) and every penalty called on Union was by the other ref. I don't remember what the total calls ended up being, but it was not a well officiated game. Sorry to those at Union that counted the 7th player ballots....I stuffed the ballot box that night with the Union 7th player being Referee Barnard!!
    The game at Union....wasn't that the game where SLU was down 5 on 3 for nearly 5 minutes straight with all penalties minors? I've never seen that in 40+ years. Petizian and 3-4 posts saved our bacon.
    GO SAINTS.

Comment

I... I don't want an edge. I want players on both teams protected and I want consistency. I find the officiating incredibly inconsistent...
      That about sums it up for me. I think we were all hoping that Stewart's leadership, attitude and ability to teach these guys would change things, but no dice. Maybe it will take a whole new flock of zebras, after the current guys age out...
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
        That about sums it up for me. I think we were all hoping that Stewart's leadership, attitude and ability to teach these guys would change things, but no dice. Maybe it will take a whole new flock of zebras, after the current guys age out...
        I don't think new ones will help - it really never has, the only thing that can help is a competent commissioner(hahahahahaha) that reviews every game to determine which referees are (in)consistently bad or if there are any blatant biases, then they should be confronted and if they won't change then they're fired. Every game needs to be called the exact same way, every time. Either let the little stuff that doesn't effect the play go, or call it every single time - but don't call one team and look the other way when the other team does something far worse
        The color of illusion is perfect blue
        Chase: What Matters.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
          they should be confronted and if they won't change then they're fired.
          Yeah, the only problem with that method is that sooner than later you'd be out of refs and be forced to hire Bantam refs for ECAC games..though some might not think that'd be a bad thing. The problem is a systemic lack (NCAA - USA Hockey) of recruitment and training of young refs.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            McIntyre's facegrab throwdown of D'Amigo no-call was beyond inept.
            D'Amigo I'm certain surely didn't deserve that kind of treatment. If your going to bother reporting one incident, it would likely take me 3-4 paragraphs to describe what I witnessed that wasn't called. PLease, Give us a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
              The game at Union....wasn't that the game where SLU was down 5 on 3 for nearly 5 minutes straight with all penalties minors? I've never seen that in 40+ years. Petizian and 3-4 posts saved our bacon.
              Yup! We got out of there with a win and 25 ulcers!

The only good thing about Albany for me last year was Stewart coming back to the hotel after the game thinking his guys did a great job, and an NHL agent (former player) and buddy of his just **** all over him for how bad the offiating was to the point Stewart started getting ****ed and defensive. Almost salvaged the wee hours after watching one of the worst losses ever for the Saints!

Step 1 is admitting you have a problem. I personally don't think we have ever made it that far as a league.
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by doghok View Post
                ...it would likely take me 3-4 paragraphs to describe what I witnessed that wasn't called. PLease, Give us a break.
                Right, so you're the only one who is allowed to beeyatch and gripe? Got it.

Comment

There's a ref with the last name Dumas. Every Yale game he has done, that is exactly what he has been.
                  Yale Hockey

Comment

Here's an idea, and would make "home field advantage" important:

Since the crowd is always complaining about the refs, pick some random bums out of the crowd, throw them in stripes. Though try to get a visiting team ref in there just to make it SEEM fair. :P

OK, maybe not.

For the non-RPI fans (simply because my goggles are cherry, and would like to see this from another angle), is there anyone out there that feels your team is constantly given the short straw by the refs?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Here's an idea, and would make "home field advantage" important:

Since the crowd is always complaining about the refs, pick some random bums out of the crowd, throw them in stripes. Though try to get a visiting team ref in there just to make it SEEM fair. :P

OK, maybe not.

For the non-RPI fans (simply because my goggles are cherry, and would like to see this from another angle), is there anyone out there that feels your team is constantly given the short straw by the refs?
                      Not consistently! There are certain individual players on SLU that I believe are picked on unfairly by the refs - Mike McKenzie is one for sure. I believe the incompetence is both directions but I also believe that the message that the SLU coaches preach is play, clean, fast, no chirp hockey and I do believe they are more disciplined than most teams (most nights anyway ), yet there are many games where the number of calls are even or reflect the score and are not reflective of the actual number of infractions. The only exception is I believe Kotyra has put the screws to SLU twice in playoff games / series and was a major factor in the outcome.

So in summary, I believe it is just general incompetence and that if they were competent that the number or penalties would "generally" be less than what they are for SLU.

Comment

there are some good refs on that staff. If you look at the the names and then go to website and click on their names it tells what they have worked.

Some of the young guys are promising.

One of you said litterio. I also think that Ernst, Obrian and Richie all call decent games and all can rise to the occasion of a big game.

On the lines I think that Testa, Taggart, Patry, Cooke and Brown all do a good job. I think that these officals have the potentail to help the league and us fans enjoy the game, by being fair and objective.

Anyone else......?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
                          there are some good refs on that staff. If you look at the the names and then go to website and click on their names it tells what they have worked.

Some of the young guys are promising.

One of you said litterio. I also think that Ernst, Obrian and Richie all call decent games and all can rise to the occasion of a big game.

On the lines I think that Testa, Taggart, Patry, Cooke and Brown all do a good job. I think that these officals have the potentail to help the league and us fans enjoy the game, by being fair and objective.

Anyone else......?
                          Patri is good. I have not seen Itterio. The other guys not sure I agree with. Have not been impressed with any refs. Feola is good some nights and awful others! For those that don't know, Chip MacDonald is Stewart's nephew!

Comment

Chip MacDonald is Stewart's nephew!
                            That explains a lot!
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                            Northeast Regional:
                            West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
                              there are some good refs on that staff.

Anyone else......?
                              I think the reason we aren't seeing more "good" names posted is that a good ref shouldn't be noticed. They should be transparent to the players and the fans. Those of us calling out specific guys do so because they make blatantly bad/one-sided calls and make us notice them.

Personally, my worst experiences have been with MacDonald. It's almost as if there are times when he says "hey, look at how important I am out here."
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                              Northeast Regional:
                              West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                                Personally, my worst experiences have been with MacDonald. It's almost as if there are times when he says "hey, look at how important I am out here."
                                I've seen him a couple of times and was left equally unimpressed.
                                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X