ECAC Officiating First Half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Officiating First Half

I am not going to bash Schafer at all. His record speaks for itself. He is among the coaches though that get lost in the event while on the bench. There are a few guys that are kind of jerks on the bench, but good guys outside...Schafer, Donato and Gaudet lead in that category!

Kepler nailed it. We all hated Belanger, Noeth and Amian too, but it was remarkably consistent and I actually think it is/was a penalty for playing three blind mice....I know the bands / stereo had to stop playing that at Appleton because they were told to by the league I guess. ECAC officiating now is like a box of chocolates!!!

Kotyra is on my list because when he has put the screws to us, it is in the playoffs.

As for our radio guys...sure there have been times where Greg went a bit overboard, but more often than not I am at the games and not listening. That we agree on most matters related to officiating makes him good in my opinion.

During the Belanger era, it was a much tougher league. You paid the price big time for parking in front of the net. Now, any contact that looks bad is called regardless of whether it is actually a penalty. I agree, the linesmen can be brutal on some nights and those calls HAVE to be reliable. I don't want an edge. I want players on both teams protected and I want consistency. I find the officiating incredibly inconsistent.

Hell, at Union last year I think every penalty called on SLU was by one ref (Barnard) and every penalty called on Union was by the other ref. I don't remember what the total calls ended up being, but it was not a well officiated game. Sorry to those at Union that counted the 7th player ballots....I stuffed the ballot box that night with the Union 7th player being Referee Barnard!!
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

As someone in the know put it to me, Schafer knows that there are certain guys he can bully around and he uses that to his advantage to get calls for his team.

Of course, I think we all agree that we view ECAC officials as pretty spineless anyhow.
      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

I don't know much about the ECAC officiating since I'm from the State of Hockey, but we will glad ly give up Derrick Shepard and Marco Hunt for just about anyone !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
          Kotyra is the worst ref in the league bar none, have to give second worst to Feola.
          Speaking of Feola, he's just been assigned to ref the Vancouver Olympics.
          http://ecachockey.com/men/2009-10/ne..._FeolaOlympics

(Edit: Looks like he'll be a linesman, not a ref.)
          Last edited by Richter547; 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doghok View Post
            The reffering in this league is below what is required, and the better the player, depending on the team I've come to notice, the more the reaction penalty is handed out, as opposed to the initiation.

Mr. Stewart, the head of officiating, had a wonderful NHL career both as a player and referree. However, I have never seen him at any games watching our product to assess and evaluate his talent.

I cannot remember any games the "Murphy's" have reffed at any rink that stands out. I know they must dis-like the Coach's and/or our current
            captian(s) at Colgate. If he even sneezes, they send him to the Sin-Bin for littering.

One would have hoped that the Two Ref system would be a marked improvement. However, in saying all this, ECAC hockey is frantic hockey, and isn't coached or played within systems similar to the WCHA or the CCHA.

We can discuss this subject until we are blue in the face, however, the problem usually starts or ends, from the Top down.
            I haven't been at QU in 2 years since I graduated, but he went to almost every Quinnipiac home game 2 years ago. My assumption is that he did that so he got the rotation of refs coming to him, instead of travelling around and maybe seeing the same refs over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Richter547 View Post
              Speaking of Feola, he's just been assigned to ref the Vancouver Olympics.
              http://ecachockey.com/men/2009-10/ne..._FeolaOlympics

(Edit: Looks like he'll be a linesman, not a ref.)
              That is amazing!! I guess Donald Rumsfeld was too busy to do it instead??
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                Wow...despite how horrible a ref can be, there's no excuse for cheering when the guy is being taken out on a stretcher.

My Pierre memory is from a 1991 Cornell-Clarkson game. I can't remember if he called 21 penalties total (18 on Clarkson, 3 on Cornell) or 21 penalties on Clarkson alone, but one of them was an unsportsmanlike bench minor on Clarkson because the band played Three Blind Mice.

The game ended in a tie and it was Clarkson's only blemish (18-0-1) during their final season at Walker Arena.
                And one of those penalties was against Clarkson's goaltender (John Fletcher) - Pierre made Fletcher go to the bin, and Clarkson had to change goalies. I haven't seen that before or since. Cornell got the tying goal on the other goalie.

Didn't even know that could happen...
                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
                  the Union guy hit him first
                  When driving to the mall the other day my 5 and 7 year old were in the back seat. By the time we reached the mall the 2 kids were screaming, fighting, and the tears were running. I scolded them and tried to bring peace back to the car. What was the 5 year olds response to me? "He started it. He hit me first."
                  Grow up.

Comment

So all I have seen is negative, is there any positive?

Are there any guys that this group rates as good?

REFEREES
                    Baker, Mike
                    Carusone, Joe
                    Dell, Alex
                    Dumas, Harry
                    Durfee, Jay
                    Ernst, Eric
                    Feola, Peter
                    Gilbert, Dean
                    Hicks, Bryan
                    Kotyra, Tim
                    Leonard, Rich
                    Litterio, Nick
                    McDonald, Chip
                    Millea, Jack
                    Murphy, Dan
                    Murphy, John
                    O'Brien, Andy
                    Petrus, Andy
                    Ritchie, Bob
                    Wahl, Derek
                    Whittemore, Scott

LINESMEN

Barrett, Matt
                    Boylan, Leo
                    Briggs, Jim
                    Brown, Dave
                    Butova, David
                    Caie, Brian
                    Carissimo, Tory
                    Cooke, Glen
                    Cronin, Tom
                    DiFusco, Andrew
                    Dumais, Greg
                    Durfee, Jay
                    Funaro, Craig
                    Harper, Jim
                    Hicks, Bryan
                    Litterio, Nick
                    Lyons, Bill
                    Mann, Andrew
                    Patry, Richard
                    Petrus, Andy
                    Piti, Christopher
                    Pleau, Michael
                    Prim, Scott
                    Reed, Brett
                    Riegert, Matt
                    Shufelt, Stephen
                    Simeon, Paul
                    St. Lawrence, Robert
                    Sullivan, Marc
                    Taggart, Dan
                    Testa, Joe

make groups who you would want doing your games and who you don't.

I comming from CT area know that I don't want to see Hicks @ the Q and Whal @ Yale anymore.

Good List : still to come

Bad List : Thinking
                    Last edited by hockeyguy; 12-08-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

It took 15 posts to get a screed from Got 6? Intriguing.
                      Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

I have good things to say about Gilbert, Leonard, and Wahl: I've never seen them ref a game. :P

Actually, Litterio isn't too bad. Whittemore I don't think I've seen in orange, but he's a decent linesman.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          I have good things to say about Gilbert, Leonard, and Wahl: I've never seen them ref a game. :P

Actually, Litterio isn't too bad. Whittemore I don't think I've seen in orange, but he's a decent linesman.
                          Wahl did the Cornell-RPI game on Friday. Also, that list has St. Lawrence as a linesman but he's most certainly a referee now.
                          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                            Based on what 'Gate Radio posted, that means the refs at the Colgate-Union game got the call wrong. Zajac should have taken the penalty shot for Union, not Valery-Trabucco. At least it wasn't a score.

Officiating at yesterday's Colgate-RPI game was AWFUL. At least twice Colgate should have been called for off-sides, and got away with it. McIntyre shoved a RPI player onto the ice in Colgate's defensive zone during the 2nd and there was no call. And in most Colgate games opposing defenders are doing everything they can to maim McIntyre ... most of the time, no call.

At least Eugene Binda Jr. isn't officiating in this league anymore. But the following refs are those I've never liked in a key game:
                            -John Murphy
                            -Peter Feola
                            -Chip McDonald
                            -Alex Dell
                            Glad to hear your assessment was similar to mine...sometimes I wonder whether I'm simply watching a different game than the zebras.

The missed off-sides were amazing, and was it me or did the refs get in the way of about two dozen pucks ? McIntyre's facegrab throwdown of D'Amigo no-call was beyond inept. If they aren't going to bother calling the BS behind the play, then why bother having a 4 man crew?? Just go back to 3 and let the boys have some room to manuever.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                              Wahl did the Cornell-RPI game on Friday. Also, that list has St. Lawrence as a linesman but he's most certainly a referee now.
                              Mike Emanatian worked as a linesman both nights at RPI. He's normally an AHL guy, Stewart must have talked him into doing some ECAC games ...just a guess. Normally I like him, but Saturday night was tough to watch...the crew was incapable of a single clean faceoff. Whatever happened to the emphasis on quick/clean faceoffs? Instead we're left with mid-game clinics by the refs and the players nutsin' around instead of skating in for the drop. As for the off-sides well, brutal. Then again when you're working with Dell all bets are off.

PS: I've had more than enough of watching the visiting teams trying to sneak in a line change before a faceoff. The ref having to corral them and send them back to the bench while the whole joint waits. One warning then the next time give the coach a bench minor...enough with the BS.
                              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

It seems that a team that is up by a goal with less than 5 minutes to ago always gets penalized. Guess the officials want to keep things interesting. Having never officiated myself, it's best that I add no further comments other than to say, "it is what it is."
                                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Working...
                                X