• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• badgerhawk
    replied
    Re: UW @ UND... The DOTA travels West

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
    It's not like he's shooting the moon by saying that. Your team sure had a tough time beating them tonight on your home ice, and you're supposed to be the class of the WCHA along with DU.
    They beat them, I thought 3-3 was a tie.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

UW fans have got to be happy with the style of play that their team plays now. I was impressed with the more offensive-oriented style...no more trap! Makes for a much more exciting game between these two teams, and helps keep people in the stands awake.

I've said it before (half-jokingly), but it really looks like UW and UMN have traded styles of play in the last couple years. UMN is resorting to a more defensive style, with their goalies keeping them in games, while UW is playing a much more wide-open style with a high-flying offense.

Should be another battle tonight, hopefully the team in green comes out on top, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. UW is a contender this year. From the games that I have seen, I would still put them a notch below both Miami and DU, but definitely a skilled team that could easily put together a run in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• lord k
    replied

What a game! I was there for warmups and the only thing Malone and Kristo worked on was making that goal line pass. Everyone else was shooting and doing the regular drills and those 2 just worked that. Malone's goals was a carbon copy of what they were doing. It was a nice change in strategy from what they normaly try to do on the PP. Usually they try to set up the far winger for the one-timer. It seemed to make a difference working it down a bit lower.

I have been waiting for Zajac and VV to play on a line together. To me it just seems like a natural fit. Two seniors that are awesome forecheckers. If VV was still feeling the effects of an injury i can't wait to see him at full force. He put on a clinic last night. Especially in the 2nd period. They couldn't get the puck away from him.

Tonight should be another battle.

Leave a comment:

• TJbadgerfan
    replied

Originally posted by joeyv View Post
    UND's got to give kudos to Dell, who came in during a close game and did a very nice job.
    In the 3rd period, yes. The Badgers blew this game in the 2nd period. A goalie comes in cold off the bench and they proceed to put 1 shot on him in the next 16 minutes of play. That was pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• MadCityRich
    replied

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
    says the guy whose team blew a 3 goal lead to SCSU last night.

because that's SO important this time of year.

I like how every Wisconsin fan in the scoring thread last night, sans one, was saying Wisconsin was shooting themselves in the foot with dumb penalties, then I come in here and read how the refs are horrible, they were taking the game away from Wisconsin. UND has had goals taken away this year, whistles not blown when they should have been, bad calls, blah blah blah. Play through it. Christ.
    Couldn't find that anywhere, c'mon, you're better than that. I see the same or more sue fans complaining...and UW had 5 more penalties.

IMO, college reffing = the pussification of the sport. You touch a guy, and he goes down like he was shot with an M-16 and looks up at the ref, like, "He tripped me!" Because of a few dikkheads checking from behind, or a player turning and "getting" the call, going into the corners is a joke because the players don't know what to do. The refs are too much like college bb where those guys LOVE to be in the spotlight, unlike the NHL where they rarely get in the way of the game.

Leave a comment:

• MadCityRich
    replied

Originally posted by Innova View Post
    Can someone with Dish Network tell me what channel FCS is? I found the game on the NHL network tonight, but I don't see it in my guide for tomorrow...
    For some reason, DISH doesn't have FCS. I've called a couple of times and requested they look at the programming, but apparently not many others have called. They have a bunch of alternate channels, but there's rarely anything on them. WAIT...currently I'm looking at the alternate channels! WOW..some good stuff; Miss St @ UCLA; NM @ Tex A&M, KS St @ UNLV. Something we're all interested in here in the north.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

UW was only in last night's game because UND was hungover from the Pre-Reading and Review Day party. Once they sobered up, they dominated the Popcorn Weasels. UND wins by at least a baker's dozen tonight.

Sioux Sweep

Leave a comment:

• Sloe Gin
    replied

Originally posted by CCtig View Post
    Badgers will be the toughest team to defeat in the second half of the WCHA. And Dirty's team from South Dakota will be soft and pink in color.
    says the guy whose team blew a 3 goal lead to SCSU last night.

Originally posted by VarsityWisconsin View Post
    FWIW, The badgers move ahead of UND in the PWR after the RPI tie breaker. Getting a point was huge tonight. A win tomorrow would be sugar sweet.
    because that's SO important this time of year.

I like how every Wisconsin fan in the scoring thread last night, sans one, was saying Wisconsin was shooting themselves in the foot with dumb penalties, then I come in here and read how the refs are horrible, they were taking the game away from Wisconsin. UND has had goals taken away this year, whistles not blown when they should have been, bad calls, blah blah blah. Play through it. Christ.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by joeyv View Post
    I think UW's going to blow the doors off the Sioux tonight.
    Agreed, just like last night.

TOTA 17
    UND 1

Leave a comment:

• joeyv
    replied

Thought UW came out with good tempo and really controlled the play. UND was a little flat, but it had more to do with UW's intensity and execution. Craig Smith is going to be a fantastic college hockey player before he is done at UW. He was the best player on the ice during the first period. The D did a nice job of locking down in the small rink.

UND certainly picked it up in the second. They settled in a bit, got dialed in to the pace of the game and scored a nice pp goal to get themselves back in it. The third period was entertaining hockey with both teams nose to nose, up and down, and Gudmanson was outstanding. He is showing himself to be more than capable of handling the load while Bennett recovers.

I thought the officiating was below average. It cut both ways really, but personally I thought the Sioux were "embellishing" just a bit at times. However, UW had to make adjustments in their physical play and they did not do so. If the referees are calling a tight game, then you've got to be smarter about physical play. I also thought the CFB should have resulted in a dq, but not a huge deal. I'm certainly not going to whine about the officiating and I don't think the officiating had a huge impact on the result quite frankly.

I think UW's going to blow the doors off the Sioux tonight. I liked the way UW got off to a good start and it did not appear the environment rattled or intimidated the club at all. UW's got the clear edge in goal and with some adjustments in the game plan, UW could walk out of Grand Forks with 3 points which is a great result.

One game plan adjustment I'd like to see is getting some sustained pressure by keeping the puck deep. UW's F's are a bit stronger on the puck and I think guys like Street, Grotting, and Mitchell have a distinct advantage down low and in the corners.

UND's got to give kudos to Dell, who came in during a close game and did a very nice job.

The OT penalty call was marginal. That's not the kind of call the officials should be making in OT, but again the penalty kill was solid and the call did not cost UW the game.

Wisconsin Hockey: DOTA For the Saturday Win.

Leave a comment:

• bik4u62
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    In the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period they let all sorts of stuff go, then they call that one in ot. They could have called a dive there. Smith didn't hit his legs with enough force to trip him, it wasn't even hard enough to call it a slash.brave
    Yeah, it wasn't a very hard slash. Didn't seem like an intentional slash. Sure wasn't a very smart slash. Can't put my finger on exactly what kind of slash it was.

I see he got called for "slashing", tho. What were the refs thinking?

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Did't get to see the game, but since when has lack of knowledge prevented any of us from posting here. Seems unusual that UW would let a two-goal lead slip away. They have been such a tight defensive team in the past that you don't expect it to play out that way. But this year looks like a different story for them. They can score with anybody, and their game is a little less controlled, though that must make Eaves just a little uncomfortable, given his rep as a discipline/systems guy. They are among the best in the counry right now, and the Sioux would have to be very happy to get three this weekend. Should be great atmosphere tonight.

BE has been very good for the Sioux, but why does he seem to let in a softie each game? Or does it just seem that way?

Leave a comment:

• Dirty
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the brave
    I believe you mean homer of the Sioux.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

The reffing was really bad, but what else is new in the wcha? In the last 5 minutes of the 3rd period they let all sorts of stuff go, then they call that one in ot. They could have called a dive there. Smith didn't hit his legs with enough force to trip him, it wasn't even hard enough to call it a slash.

Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the brave

Leave a comment:

• jdr1
    replied

Come on Sioux get the skates tied up tight, and come out with a win tonight..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X