• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goon
    replied
    Re: UW @ UND... The DOTA travels West

Originally posted by joeyv View Post
    Brian,

I watched on dvr...the Hextall play is a CFB. Take a good look and I think you will agree with my assessment.

That was not a CFB, it was a hip check.

Leave a comment:

• blockski
    replied

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    Speaking of confrontational coaches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAA5lW4SK7s

Hakstol is walking away, and then Eaves says something that starts a heated argument.
    Probably just telling him that his necktie sucks.

Leave a comment:

• redwing77
    replied

redwing77 will stop saying Home of the Sioux if TimothyA spells Sioux correctly.

I'm already living up to my end of the bargain. Seriously, saying "Sioux" at the end of the anthem while in your apartment listening to or watching the game is ridiculous.

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
    Really the opposite of last night's game for UW, horrible 1st period and pretty good the rest of the way. Glad to see they had some resolve against a good team on the road after coughing up a 2 goal lead one night and getting off to a horrible start the next. Props to Gudy for handling back to back games. I came into the weekend thinking 2 points would be fine, so tacking on an additional one is pretty solid.

I didn't bother reading back to see what people were saying about the pleasantries at the end, but I think that was instigated by the last second call more than anything. The best word I can use to describe Anderson overall is puzzling. He sometimes makes me wonder if I'm getting a different feed thru my TV than what he's seeing on the ice.
    That's what I said. We're pretty much flip flopping this weekend. The difference is that Gudmanson played his backside off and Eidsness had a bad weekend. Ok, that's not the only thing, but UW generally played well when it mattered and took advantage of UND's mistakes. It was nowhere more evident than on Saturday's game.

As for the end of the game. Hextall got called for a phantom CFB. Malone was the one who made the alleged check, but Hextall did it in Friday's game. WCHA refs occasionally like to think of themselves as teachers or lawmen (more so than just upholding the law) in that they remember players who've done it in the past and seem to be more eager to call them again if they even look like they're doing a similar act. Anderson, to me, defies me. I thought he called a relatively good weekend. Yeah, he missed a few calls, but that speaks of just human error. He didn't Don Adam the weekend. I mean, if that was the case, UND would have had Hextall all weekend long and that UW player would've gotten injured.

This is the first weekend where I was genuinely ****ed at UND for the after the whistle nonsense. Blood, Zajac, and Malone got called this weekend for after the whistle crap. It's out of character for Blood, but the other two tend to play with emotion and often times that seems to land them in trouble (Hextall too). This is not coaching because there haven't been too many coaches (even allegedly) tell their players to go out and perform such acts. I know of one in the NHL that got fined $10,000 for it and one allegedly said it (which doesn't hold any water imo). What coaching that needs to happen is for Hakstol to simply sit them down (easy not for Zajac since he's injured and out a month) and teach them how to play smart. Every team needs a Hextall type player, but not one that keeps getting the team short handed.

Originally posted by K7776S2001 View Post
    Yeah, they got into penalty trouble but how much did it really hurt UW? They lost a point because of it, sure, but UND lost 2 or maybe even 3. UW was just flat out dominant at times.

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I also spell gopher r-o-d-e-n-t, and Minnesota R-o-d-e-n-t-s-o-t-a. The rodent fans don't seem to mind and they are more arrogant than you guys. I hate Wisconsin being called Wisco and badgers spelled B-A-D-g-e-r-s. And yes, I hate the sue's ending to the national anthem. It's the National Anthem, not the sue anthem. It's all part of the game....Dirty irritates me, I irritate you, Varsity Wisconsin write non-fiction, Brianf makes reasonable posts, Brenthoven gaurentees rodent wins on yellow sticky notes, Scooby's glass is cracked and so on.

Wisconsin Hockey: Home of the BRAVE.
    Knickers twisted much? I've never called them WISCO or BADgers. I try not to call them paint thinner nation (though I might have used the term a few times, I can't recall). I don't call the Gophers rodents or rodentsota as you call them. This isn't a push for moral superiority, I guess it is just a basic respect for one's opponent.

Then again, I get bothered by fans of opposing teams that generalize Sioux fans as any particular thing as a whole.

It's why Dirty is so effective. It doesn't matter what he says really, someone will get all bothered over it.

Leave a comment:

• uwbadgers14
    replied

Ben Blood is much improved defensively over last year. I expect him to follow in the Greene/Smaby/etc role and be very good next season as a junior.

Hakstol is walking away, and then Eaves says something that starts a heated argument.
    Child Please

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
    who's that Ben Blood character???
    Ben Blood is much improved defensively over last year. I expect him to follow in the Greene/Smaby/etc role and be very good next season as a junior.

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
    I'm starting to think it has to do with UND's coach, he seems to be very confrontational, I'm not sure if he does it to get his team going or what but he just seems to pull some sort of shenanagains and I think it rubs off on there players.

Leave a comment:

• uwbadgers14
    replied

I didn't realize that it was just UND out there fighting. The UW angels were no where to be seen? Didn't look that way on my tv.

They'll come down hard alright. They'll add a couple goals to his stat line and a few PIM.
    who's that Ben Blood character??? I realize UND makes it a habit to get one of these goons on there roster but i wouldn't have minded seeing RAmage or someone fight that guy, i'm not sure the suspension rules as far as if he made the USA jr team would her have to sit when he gets back or what but someone needed to pop that guy a couple times and I thought grotting was going to get him eventually. I'm starting to think it has to do with UND's coach, he seems to be very confrontational, I'm not sure if he does it to get his team going or what but he just seems to pull some sort of shenanagains and I think it rubs off on there players. I realize you are frustrated at the way the game was called on sat. but the weekend evened out and the better team got the points. Its that simple.

Leave a comment:

• uwbadgers14
    replied

Through the halfway point in this season I have come up with one conclusion that pretty much sums its up. So far UW has played know one who can keep up for 3 periods. Even in the losses there are significant chunks of time where the opponent just can't do anything. If this team continues to get better there is a chance they win everything. They are going to have to figure out how to keep a lead and extend it but they took a step in the right direction saturday night. The refs game UND a tie on friday and gave UW a win last night. Thats just the way it is in the WCHA now. The key is not put the refs in a position to cost you the game and thats where building a lead is so important.

Leave a comment:

• VarsityWisconsin
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I also spell gopher r-o-d-e-n-t, and Minnesota R-o-d-e-n-t-s-o-t-a. The rodent fans don't seem to mind and they are more arrogant than you guys. I hate Wisconsin being called Wisco and badgers spelled B-A-D-g-e-r-s. And yes, I hate the sue's ending to the national anthem. It's the National Anthem, not the sue anthem. It's all part of the game....Dirty irritates me, I irritate you, Varsity Wisconsin write non-fiction, Brianf makes reasonable posts, Brenthoven gaurentees rodent wins on yellow sticky notes, Scooby's glass is cracked and so on.

I'm working on it. Remember, I'm a Wisconsin-Whitewater grad, so I wasn't trained as well. BTW, Go Warhawks in the Stagg Bowl on Saturday!

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Originally posted by redwing77 View Post
    Timothy- It's spelled SIOUX. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• K7776S2001
    replied

Originally posted by redwing77 View Post
    UW played amazing all weekend long. Yeah, they ended up squandering a 2 goal lead (welcome to the club) on Friday, but it makes little difference.

Friday, UW comes out of the gate on fire and plays a great first period going up 2-0. Then UW gets into penalty trouble and plays rather poorly.

Leave a comment:

• diddlypoo
    replied

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Note to Badger fans: Use the DOTA in sarcastic or ribbing terms only. When you say it as if it's fact, you look silly.
    Amen. Especially, because the expression is "for the ages", not "of the ages." I don't care if the original DOTA acronym was derived from a post by an SCSU fan, one of the two ******** badger posters, or one of the Minnesota *********s. Time to move on.

Leave a comment:

• GoBucky
    replied

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
    Probably hiding in his parents' basement crying himself to sleep.
    So, he's in his bedroom then.

Leave a comment:

• SiouxTechie
    replied

Where's Dirty?
    Probably hiding in his parents' basement crying himself to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• HoosierBBall_GopherHockey
    replied

Nice weekend for Bucky. Could have had all four, but could have gotten 0 based on how they were outplayed at times. Found a way to win and tie, so that's great.

I have no problem with the little hugging incident at the end and yes both teams were willing. No harm, no suspensions. Good team building for both squads.

Goody looked real, well, good. Good for him!

Not so sure about the DOTA when it comes to overall play. They're great offensively, but I'd take the 05-06 group if given the choice. Since I'm not given the choice, these guys will more than do and if they get a title, they'll be right up there.

Note to Badger fans: Use the DOTA in sarcastic or ribbing terms only. When you say it as if it's fact, you look silly.

See you Suzy Green-mullets in March!
    Originally posted by joeyv View Post
    Additionally, anyone who isn't buying the DOTA theory wasn't watching.

Did anyone ever see Cody Golobeuf turn the puck over? Or make a breakout pass that didn't hit a UW tape? Or make a poor d zone decision? That kid is just plain old fashioned SOLID.

Brendan Smith was his usualy dangerous self, without the costly d zone mistakes and overplays.

Gardiner was tough, and while he didn't wow you with his end to end speed, he showed he can stand up under pressure and make good decisions.

Justin Schultz, like Golobeuf, was hardly noticeable in terms of goof ups. He controlled play, made good decisions, and was able to play physical while staying discliplned. Remember, the kid is a FROSH.

Ramage also did a nice job. Liked his physical play, and liked the fact that he did not make any glaring errors out there.

McD was nondiscript, but he clearly was the rock when the Sioux put on the pressure.

While DOTA might not be readily apparent, this is the best collective D corps I've seen in many years at UW, and this is my 33rd year of watching UW Hockey.

Wisconsin Hockey: Yeah, DOTA is Real.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Where's Dirty?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X