• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies '13-14 Season Thread Part II: In Witt we Trust

Accourding to the HE website:

Maine - away vs HE teams - 1-4-2 away overall - 1-9-2
    NU - home vs HE teams - 2-3-1 home overall - 6-4-1
    Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Can we just get some NU fans in the building this weekend? Where have the students been this year??
      Northeastern University
      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 1988 | ECAC Champions: 1982 | Beanpot Champions: 1988, 1985, 1984, 1980

Comment

I am trying to get there Saturday night
        The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Originally posted by tkidBOSTON View Post
          Can we just get some NU fans in the building this weekend? Where have the students been this year??
          No kidding.. its Feb with piles of snow outside.. get in the rink!

Doghouse ers!!!.. et al.. :+)
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bsaeagle64 View Post
            Accourding to the HE website:

Maine - away vs HE teams - 1-4-2 away overall - 1-9-2
            NU - home vs HE teams - 2-3-1 home overall - 6-4-1
            of those 6 homes wins, Alabama x2, Holy Cross, Umass, and Merrimack. Not exactly murders row. The away record is good though.

Can only play who is on the schedule, I know, but be nice if there were wins over BC and UNH at home. I guess the UML win counts as a home win though.
            DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

This weeks bracketoogy has NU in Minnesota. Have to leap frog Lowell to get back east. Now these projections are as if season ended today. I will be ****ed if they make NCAA and they get shipped out west.
              The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                While I'd LOVE for him to come in and be Witt's successor in net, I wonder if he'd look for a place to start right away, rather than sit a year (assuming Witt stays for his senior year).
                Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                this is his fourth year in school, he might be pretty close to getting his degree at this point, so if he is one or two classes off he can take in the summer, might be time to cash in.
                I think we would all be foolish to expect that Witt will be back, especially given Huskies01's point. This technically is his senior year, and, if I'm not mistaken, he actually already has his undergraduate degree. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

He WILL end up with a contract in a few months and he will take it. Just my opinion on something I think is a no-brainer.

Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
                I would think that Szmatula is really the only potential jumper because of his age. Roy probably has a small chance, but if Gaudreau is still in college hockey you would think Roy would follow that lead. I think there will be some kids asked to move on. I think Ferrero's brother will be gone, they have 8 d now, they have 3 coming in. Something has to give there.
                It would not surprise me to see Szmatula get an offer and have the thought of dollar signs in his future sway him away from college. The kid is talented, no denying that, and he will definitely have some teams looking to make him an offer. However, if he was smart, he would stay in college. While he is skilled, I don't see him succeeding long term in the NHL, so if he does leave he will likely be making an AHL salary (at best) for many years to come.

Roy has, in my opinion, been mentally checked out for a while now. He looks downright lazy on the ice at times. If he leaves it'll be a huge mistake, but it would not surprise me either.
                On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

I'm looking forward to seeing Maine's Devin Shore this weekend. Solid player.
                  These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                    of those 6 homes wins, Alabama x2, Holy Cross, Umass, and Merrimack. Not exactly murders row. The away record is good though.

Can only play who is on the schedule, I know, but be nice if there were wins over BC and UNH at home. I guess the UML win counts as a home win though.
                    Every Hockey East team except for Maine wishes this so it's not really an issue. Of course the irony of ironies, Holy Cross beat BC in Conte.

But yes, the UNH weekend was a god-awful weekend.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                      ...My guess... Witt will sign if he gets a good offer. No offer, he'll be back.
                      I'm assuming that everyone on here who is participating in the CW love-a-thon is also taking the time to vote for him at hobeybaker.com. Yes, I know the fan vote counts for almost nothing but the kid's vote total is embarrassingly low considering what he's accomplished so far. You can (and should) vote once a day.

Speaking of CWs options for next year, the other side of the equation is that if he comes back, he's probably going to be one of the consensus Hobey Baker favorites, assuming he puts together another year like this behind a more experienced and (hopefully) deeper team. If those things happen, his stock goes up exponentially and he ends of making a boxcar load more than he'd make by grabbing whatever free agent cash he can snag at the end of this year.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Another nice tidbit....Chris Wilkes, writing for SB Nation College Hockey, rated the candidates for the NTDP in the '98 and early '99 group from the Elite Tier One AAA League. Wilkes had David Melaragni as "very poised, excellent puck mover. Best passer in this group."

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          Speaking of CWs options for next year, the other side of the equation is that if he comes back, he's probably going to be one of the consensus Hobey Baker favorites, assuming he puts together another year like this behind a more experienced and (hopefully) deeper team. If those things happen, his stock goes up exponentially and he ends of making a boxcar load more than he'd make by grabbing whatever free agent cash he can snag at the end of this year.
                          The goalies are never the favorites to win the Hobey, its always the forwards. Winning the Hobey of late is actually a bit of a curse to making it in the NHL and having any kind of succsess.

While I am sure he would love to win it, I do not think that would be a factor in him returning or not. Its going to come down to the $$$.

As for Roy and Szmatula. I think these last few weeks will go in determining what they do, and I do not mean in Wins and Losses. If they stick together on the first line, and show some chemistry together, I think they both come back and look to go scoring balastic next year. IF they do not, and one or the other leaves, the other will go to.

Roy has been missing a partner forward to support him and give him the puck all season. He is smart enough to know that we do not have a guy on the roster who can do that, (unless its Szmatula) and wont want to rely on next years freshmen class to supply him that guy. He wont stick around if he has to be the guy to carry the puck up the ice, and create on his own to get off his shots every time, which is what it turned into. He needs to be fed. The big dog needs to eat. But he cannot do it all himself. (some of this also flows into the horrible design of a PP we have that cannot put him in a position to get off a shot)

Why have they not played together all season? I think JM likes to have them seperate to have two "balanced" scoring lines. And it sorta worked for awhile, especially as Pimm went on a bit of a tear there for a bit. But with Stevens' play falling off the cliff, Pimm back to being Pimm, and Szmatula virtuallly avoiding giving the puck to who ever his linemates were, something he cannot do with Roy out there with him, time to switch it up.

We maybe a one scoring line team now, but it could be as dangerous as the Johnny Goo line.

edit: I know Hedges was Roy's center to start on Saturday but got hurt and Szmatula took over. I think they should stick with those two, forget that they may hurt the squad defensivly, what they could do on offense together could make other teams play more careful nullfying their own chances.
                          Last edited by Huskies01; 02-20-2014, 07:33 AM.
                          DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Florence Shelling, (NU alum).. & Team Switzerland.. just came from behind 0-2 to beat Sweden, 4-3 to claim the Bronze medal.
                            Time for Kendall Coyne & co to bring home another, v/s Team Canada later today. Go you (Lady) Huskies!
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

Get that Olympics flag up in the rafters at Matthews, NU!..
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

So is the old Barn filiing up this year for games or is it 2/3rds empty (Dogpound excluded) like everytime I've been there? Thinking of coming down Sat so just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X