X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXX: 1 All American at a Time

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
    So is Will Johnson viewed as a top 6 or bottom 6 guy?
    He's a play-making type forward. Was on pace to finish second in the USHL in scoring this season before a knee injury ended his season. Finished with 36 points in 30 games.

Comment

That's not a bad start
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
        It might not be the worst idea in the world to roll with 14 forwards this year. They don't graduate anyone and there are no guys that jump out as flight risks to leave (Maybe Besse if he goes off this year?). So you bring in Trent Frederic next season. Frederic is likely a 3-year type guy. If they are going to make an attempt at balancing the forwards they need to bring in more than Frederic next season. If you bring in 15 this year, Frederic is 16 and you're already handcuffed. If you go with 14, bring Frederic in as 15 next year and maybe 2 more and make it clear to some of the lower-rung forwards that they probably will never see the ice, you can at least attempt to get this thing back on track.

Cullen Hurley can be a swing guy an play forward in a pinch if a few guys go down.

If they can find the right defenseman, I'd like to see them bring in another one if possible. Wittchow, Schulze, Davison, Dougherty, Linhart, Tischke are the top 6. I don't trust Bunz and Hurley is very untested. I don't mind going with 9 defensemen with Hurley being a swing guy and Bunz a walk-on. Then you add Berkovitz and Stillwell next season to replace Wittchow and Schulze.
        This is pretty much what my thinking was going forward. And Eaves is going to have to recruit over the top of a few guys if there's any hope of straightening out the classes at all, but it would be a first step. Haven't seen enough of Hurley to feel very good about him playing D, but he's a good skater and I have no problem with him going out on a checking line should it come to that.

Finding the right D at this point is a bit of a needle in a haystack proposition though... I'm sure somewhere in the world there's a guy that fits the bill, but where?

Thinking out of the box, if I felt like I had a line on another stud for '16, I'd wouldn't mind hiring a one year insurance policy. Maybe even a top D3 guy like UWSP's Alex Brooks. (who I mostly just pick because the last Alex Brooks we had turned out pretty good) Will be a 23 year old Sr. puck mover that's experienced enough to probably not get you in too much trouble if he actually had to play. He gets a free year of school and a Rocky Balboa shot at the big time, and you have an open scholarship again next year. (It's a little complicated but a guy like that can get an exception to play this year.) Of course the hitch being that you can't just call up and recruit another college player, they have to come to you. Bah. Technicalities...
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          This is pretty much what my thinking was going forward. And Eaves is going to have to recruit over the top of a few guys if there's any hope of straightening out the classes at all, but it would be a first step. Haven't seen enough of Hurley to feel very good about him playing D, but he's a good skater and I have no problem with him going out on a checking line should it come to that.

Finding the right D at this point is a bit of a needle in a haystack proposition though... I'm sure somewhere in the world there's a guy that fits the bill, but where?

Thinking out of the box, if I felt like I had a line on another stud for '16, I'd wouldn't mind hiring a one year insurance policy. Maybe even a top D3 guy like UWSP's Alex Brooks. (who I mostly just pick because the last Alex Brooks we had turned out pretty good) Will be a 23 year old Sr. puck mover that's experienced enough to probably not get you in too much trouble if he actually had to play. He gets a free year of school and a Rocky Balboa shot at the big time, and you have an open scholarship again next year. (It's a little complicated but a guy like that can get an exception to play this year.) Of course the hitch being that you can't just call up and recruit another college player, they have to come to you. Bah. Technicalities...
          Interesting player of choice. I'm trying to remember him from all the UWSP games I went to this year but I'm drawing a blank. Could very well be a good thing since he's a defenseman.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            It might not be the worst idea in the world to roll with 14 forwards this year.
            Strand mentioned he needs to bring in 2 more guys. I don't get why you'd ever need more than 14. With so many tv timeouts, you could roll your top 3 lines and spot the 4th. It isn't like the #15th guy is an insurance policy if #1 guy leaves early, the talent gap is too big.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
              Interesting player of choice. I'm trying to remember him from all the UWSP games I went to this year but I'm drawing a blank. Could very well be a good thing since he's a defenseman.
              Well he did have 5g 21a in 28 gp this year from the Blue line. Not bad. Wouldn't have to be him, but the idea of having a older, physically mature player for a year rather than an inexperienced youngster come in for next year appeals to me a lot. His points suggest he sees the ice well and I just think a guy like that can probably give you 10-12 minutes a game and not screw you up too much. And who knows? Sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. The nice thing would be that you get the scholarship back next year just in time to hand it to Fabbro. And if Berkovitz doesn't get his mojo back you can even give his spot to Jost, still ok on D, and then we're back in the FF in two years. Simple!

So if you happen to see Alex down on the Square, maybe mention he should get permission from UWSP to call up Eaves.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Strand mentioned he needs to bring in 2 more guys. I don't get why you'd ever need more than 14. With so many tv timeouts, you could roll your top 3 lines and spot the 4th. It isn't like the #15th guy is an insurance policy if #1 guy leaves early, the talent gap is too big.
                I suppose the other end of it is that you have scholarship $$ just sitting on the shelf and that probably doesn't feel right either. Especially for government employees.

I see a kid I kind of liked, Chase Pearson, is now headed to Maine this fall. Big, 2 way center with NHL pedigree and some upside. Could have been a Brendan Woods type who was a grinder the first year and then found his stride just in time to leave us in the lurch when we needed him. Could also be a Brad Navin type who had big potential for four years. So we missed out on that.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I'm thinking that the staff may reach out to former Green Bay Notre Dame forward Brett Gruber. He's not real big but tore up the BCHL in his first season (35-31=66 in 57 games) and was the #2 pick in the USHL Phase II Draft recently (by the Green Bay Gamblers). He's committed to ASU for 2016-2017. No inside knowledge, just a guy that would potentially make sense to pursue.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                    I'm thinking that the staff may reach out to former Green Bay Notre Dame forward Brett Gruber. He's not real big but tore up the BCHL in his first season (35-31=66 in 57 games) and was the #2 pick in the USHL Phase II Draft recently (by the Green Bay Gamblers). He's committed to ASU for 2016-2017. No inside knowledge, just a guy that would potentially make sense to pursue.
                    I like the sounds of this guy. I don't think size is that important. Maybe you should have applied for a job @ UW.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't understand the D3 player idea. He would have to sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules. What would be the point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                        I don't understand the D3 player idea. He would have to sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules. What would be the point?
                        A DIII to DI transfer also loses a year of eligibility for the year he is required to sit out. Those rules exist to prevent DIs from poaching top DIII players.
                        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                        X