2014 Bottom-Feeders Bracket: Road to "Futile Four" Site Selection Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Bottom-Feeders Bracket: Road to "Futile Four" Site Selection Process

The 2014 "Bottom-Feeders Bracket" is accepting bids from venues willing to host 4 regionals, and the national anti-championship event, known as the "FutileFour".

Regionals will be held the weekend of March 28-30, and Nationals the weekend of April 4-6.

The site-selection committee wishes it to be known that the late date for the start of this process was intentional, rather than a result of simple negligence or procrastination. We hope that only the worst facilities will still be available.

Site selection will be based on the following criteria:
    1. We seek the poorest quality facilities, and are especially fond of venues without ample locker-room space or silly amenities for the fans...like seats, heat, rest rooms, or edible concessions.
    2. The committee considers it desirable for the venues to be in out-of-the-way locations, and prefers they lack easy access to basic creature comforts: hotels, restaurants and public transportation.
    3. While we realize that even the nastiest places on earth may have some redeeming, positive attribute (that might, otherwise make the area seem 'over-qualified' to host an event of this magnitude) we give special preference to prospective sites that no rational, sane human being would be likely to visit voluntarily.
    4. As the old saying goes; "A picture is worth a thousand words." The committee encourages you to include pictures of your rink, and links to web-sites.
    5. No rink that is currently the home of any NCAA D1 or D3 team will be considered
    6. While this might seem to contradict #1, the committee will only consider indoor facilities (OK, they can be open from the sides, but the ice must be under roof). We refuse to join the outdoor hockey frenzy!
    7. All venues MUST be within the borders of the USA.
    8. Please keep this in mind. While that 'other' national tournament is a reward for the players, coaches, fans and their respective schools; this tournament is intended as punishment for those programs that really suck!
    9. It would NOT be unreasonable to believe that the committee could be influenced by any sort of incentives, kickbacks, or outright bribes; including sexual favors.

Bids will be accepted until 7:00AM EST on Sunday, March 2.

The Team Selection process will be covered in a separate thread
    Last edited by Freddie; 02-16-2014, 09:08 PM.
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Re: 2014 Bottom-Feeders Bracket: Road to "Futile Four" Site Selection Process

I want an update regarding any skeletons found of the still missing teams from the 2013 tourney. I am worried that the fleet of 1989 Waldoch conversion vans used to transport the teams didn't make it to their destinations.
    Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      I want an update regarding any skeletons found of the still missing teams from the 2013 tourney. I am worried that the fleet of 1989 Waldoch conversion vans used to transport the teams didn't make it to their destinations.
      You wish. All the travel budget allowed for was a Trabant, a Yugo, and a Le Car.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

is there a minimum ice size requirement?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          For this tournament, isn't having ice at all an amenity in and of itself?
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            We are certain that the committee has dealt with this question before, but we are not able to find a record of any previous decision on the subject. The committee rarely sets iron-clad standards on individual criteria, and will consider the size of the sheet as just one of the many metrics used in considering venue bids.

Comment

No apologies are given for people not listening on our ham radio frequencies for 2013. We are able to do media coverage for the Futile Four again this year only because the sun activity will be causing propagation issues.

That being said, is Cass Park in Ithaca too close to Cornell for a venue? There is a roof, but no true windows.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                is Cass Park in Ithaca too close to Cornell for a venue? There is a roof, but no true windows.
                There is no specific regulation against a rink being too close to a school, as long as it is not the home rink of any NCAA school.

If they want to bid for a regional, their cause would be helped along by pictures and bribes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  As Gallaudet was the host last year at the Uline Arena, I asked around campus today.

Unfortunately I was out of town that weekend and forgot to email the volunteers list until that morning to remind them to be on the lookout for the regional winners.

No one seems to remember much about that weekend last year, but people were saying, "There was a really good rent party on 8th st."

Comment

http://www.hoosickrecreation.com/
                    http://www.townofhoosick.org/skatingrink.shtml

Though I still think http://www.regencyicerink.com/ is a good choice, but maybe the actual red and blue lines might work against it.
                    Or maybe the three rows of "seating" at only one end of the ice.

Comment

Hurricane Sandy left this rink in prime condition for this tournament. As a bonus, its in New Jersey...ew.

The rink in Ashland, Oregon now as a cover for the winter season. So it meets the guidelines now. Perhaps a western region site.

Comment

Does the site need to be in America? I understand a rink will be available for the Futile Four in a soon-to-be ghost town in Russia, some place called Sochi. The rink itself may be overly nice, but that will be offset by the lack of security forces, thereby allowing the local terrorists to return along with packs of feral dogs. Hotels are plentiful, potable water not so much. But hey, there's vodka!
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                          Does the site need to be in America? ...
                          Please read the original post: " 7. All venues MUST be within the borders of the USA."

The packs of feral dogs and brown water all sound great, but the committee will not budge on this. We are certain that there are plenty of horrible venues right here in the good ol' US of A.

Comment

Now that ECAC is going to Lake Placid, would it be possible to nominate Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City?

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                              Please read the original post: " 7. All venues MUST be within the borders of the USA."

The packs of feral dogs and brown water all sound great, but the committee will not budge on this. We are certain that there are plenty of horrible venues right here in the good ol' US of A.
                              ****! Nobody told me this thread involved reading comprehension
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X