• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dggoddard
    replied
    Re: The Denver vs tUMD 12/11 and 12/12

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
    He had probably committed to DU by the time they won their 04/05 title, so he thought he was part of the national title by association.
    Ruegsegger won a National Championship at Shattuck St. Marys in 2005. I also believe he won a National Championship with the Littleton Hawks in PeeWees. Clearly Ruegs has more National Championships than UMD.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3361287

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied

Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
    Rueggsager (sp?) was on tilt before he took the elbow contact to the head penalty. He was yelling and screaming at Marco Hunt in the pbox and then commenced to start yapping about Duluth shouldn't start cocking off until they win a national championship... so something or somebody got into his head... and it was Rueggs who was yapping at Sandelin... but I don't know about what

That kid is normally great to be around... he lost his composure on Saturday night, but that doesn't make him cheap or a whiner. He plays hard and got caught up in the moment is all.

That whole team is very very good. I especially liked the Freshman Donovan. That kid can play. I hope Gwoz is looking for a dman to replace him because we won't be in Denver long unless he's wearing a different jersey.
    Very nice. Glad you were close enough to hear all this. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• brianvf
    replied

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    LOL. I didn't know Tyler had been with Denver during their NC days!
    He had probably committed to DU by the time they won their 04/05 title, so he thought he was part of the national title by association.

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by DaTruthinDaluth View Post
    Rueggsager (sp?) was on tilt before he took the elbow contact to the head penalty. He was yelling and screaming at Marco Hunt in the pbox and then commenced to start yapping about Duluth shouldn't start cocking off until they win a national championship... so something or somebody got into his head... and it was Rueggs who was yapping at Sandelin... but I don't know about what
    LOL. I didn't know Tyler had been with Denver during their NC days! He must have been confused and thought he was on USCHO. Did he make fun of your post count, DTiD?

Good thing he wasn't at CC or they would have started a rumor that he was tased.

Fun times. Nobody was hurt. I enjoy hijinx and would have LOVED to see it. And egged it on, of course.

Leave a comment:

• DaTruthinDaluth
    replied

That kid is normally great to be around... he lost his composure on Saturday night, but that doesn't make him cheap or a whiner. He plays hard and got caught up in the moment is all.

That whole team is very very good. I especially liked the Freshman Donovan. That kid can play. I hope Gwoz is looking for a dman to replace him because we won't be in Denver long unless he's wearing a different jersey.

Leave a comment:

• dggoddard
    replied

Originally posted by Not So Sober Hockey Guy View Post
    Puck swami and crew. I have some questions for you. Let me prefece this by saying I am not trying to start a flame fest but I am curious about something. The last 2 times your squad has been to the DECC and lost, they have gotten very cheap and chippy at the end. This was not the case until the last couple of years with your team. Am I seeing this wrong or is Gwoz losing a little bit of control? The end of the game there was just stupid. It didn't help Rakshani (sp?) or Ruetsager(sp?) i don't know which one but they were just jawing with Sandy and Gwoz made him apologize but imho this is not your character and I have been taken back a little? Are these isolated incidents or is this happening more than you would like?

Not saying the dogs are saints, but it just seems out of character.
    Congrats on a great game for UMD on Saturday night.

Did you see the end of the UND-Wisconsin series this weekend? Same thing happened. UND-Minnesota a couple of years ago (Wheeler/Finley)?

These WCHA games are highly emotional and when you are battling for every point tempers run high.

Welcome to big time WCHA hockey. Now that UMD is back in the title hunt again you'll probably see more of this.

Leave a comment:

• Plante26
    replied

Nope. Last year's thuggery was perpetrated by Mullen.....who got the suspension.

Surprised you didn't remember that considering you had every third post in the thread following the game.

Leave a comment:

• Plante26
    replied

Now that you remind me it was Ruegsegger, he was the guy last year who slashed Mike Connolly towards the end of the game in the last 20 seconds wasn't he and Connolly ended up missing a few games? Correct me if I am wrong?
    That might have been. I wasn't at that game, so I'm not sure.

Maybe at halftime of the Sunday Night football game I'll dig up last year's game stats.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Sober Hockey Guy
    replied

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
    Ruegsegger was the DU player that leveled MConn with a high, hard elbow in the third period, and I believe that he was also the one that Sandelin had words with. I would imagine that the two incidents were connected, as from my vantage point the hit on MConn was pretty dirty.
    Now that you remind me it was Ruegsegger, he was the guy last year who slashed Mike Connolly towards the end of the game in the last 20 seconds wasn't he and Connolly ended up missing a few games? Correct me if I am wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Plante26
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Reugsegger and Rakhshani are normally pretty upstanding types (senior leaders, low PIMs, honor students, etc) , so if they were cheesed off after the game, there were probably good reasons for it.
    Ruegsegger was the DU player that leveled MConn with a high, hard elbow in the third period, and I believe that he was also the one that Sandelin had words with. I would imagine that the two incidents were connected, as from my vantage point the hit on MConn was pretty dirty.

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Reugsegger and Rakhshani are normally pretty upstanding types (senior leaders, low PIMs, honor students, etc) , so if they were cheesed off after the game, there were probably good reasons for it.

I wasn't on or near the ice, nor did I get to see any of the "cheap" stuff, but here's my theory: In last two years in Duluth, UMD has won the Saturday game by healthy margins (two goals last year, three goals this year), plus the total 4-0 humiliation in the WCHA tourney final last year) so there is likely a serious humiliation factor, coupled with the fact that almost all of the Pioneers' losses/poor performances this year have come on Saturday night, which is a huge concern for a Denver team that is now feeling some pressure.

I am a big believer in sportsmanship of course, but I also know that if the senior leaders' emotions are running a little high, it's probably because they care a lot about their team and don't enjoy being beaten so badly. I also can also surmise that a few of the Bulldogs probably didn't mind verbally reminding the Pioneers' of the scoreboard and their humiliation.
    Yelling at other players is part of the game, but yelling at the opposing coach is kind of weird. I don't care though. Gwoz took care of it. Which is more than certain other coaches would do...

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

I wasn't on or near the ice, nor did I get to see any of the "cheap" stuff, but here's my theory: In last two years in Duluth, UMD has won the Saturday game by healthy margins (two goals last year, three goals this year), plus the total 4-0 humiliation in the WCHA tourney final last year) so there is likely a serious humiliation factor, coupled with the fact that almost all of the Pioneers' losses/poor performances this year have come on Saturday night, which is a huge concern for a Denver team that is now feeling some pressure.

I am a big believer in sportsmanship of course, but I also know that if the senior leaders' emotions are running a little high, it's probably because they care a lot about their team and don't enjoy being beaten so badly. I also can also surmise that a few of the Bulldogs probably didn't mind verbally reminding the Pioneers' of the scoreboard and their humiliation.

Leave a comment:

• Pablo
    replied

Puck swami and crew. I have some questions for you. Let me prefece this by saying I am not trying to start a flame fest but I am curious about something. The last 2 times your squad has been to the DECC and lost, they have gotten very cheap and chippy at the end. This was not the case until the last couple of years with your team. Am I seeing this wrong or is Gwoz losing a little bit of control? The end of the game there was just stupid. It didn't help Rakshani (sp?) or Ruetsager(sp?) i don't know which one but they were just jawing with Sandy and Gwoz made him apologize but imho this is not your character and I have been taken back a little? Are these isolated incidents or is this happening more than you would like?

I don't think that this Pioneer team is chippier than other recent DU teams. I think they are the least penalized, or second-least-penalized, team in the WCHA, if that tells you anything. And I haven't seen them try to provoke other teams very much with words or dirty play this year.

Our radio guy also said that Ruegsegger was involved in some jawing with Sandelin, which was surprising to me. Tyler plays hard, but he has a reputation for good sportsmanship, so I wonder what this was about. Like Hoosier says, perhaps some ****-talking between the teams over the course of the game that wasn't evident to the fans?

Anyway, nice rebound by UMD to get the win. We continue our trend of playing crappy on Saturdays, but it sounds like UMD put in a great effort and got the 2 points that they deserved.

Leave a comment:

• HoosierPioneer
    replied

Not trying to defend anything here- behavior like you describe shouldn't ever be tolerated on the ice, but all of us on the other side of the glass have no idea what has been said throughout the game or what sort of chips have been happening away from the play or along the bench throughout the game either.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Sober Hockey Guy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X