Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Rutgers and/or Pitt ever do hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireKnight
    replied
    Re: Will Rutgers and/or Pitt ever do hockey?

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Steps to make this happen:

1. Southern Illinois secedes from the North to become it's own state.
    2. Southern Illinois annexes St. Louis.
    3. With the new media market, the Big Ten will bring in SIU for BTN money.
    4. This doesn't really solve anything, because North Illinois will still only be left with one Big Ten school.
    5. South Illinois begins war to take Urbana-Champaign from North Illinois.
    6. Civil War continues north into Chicago where the city is decimated, destroying Big Ten offices and BTN studios.
    7. Big Ten folds, CCHA and WCHA return.
    Sounds like the Salukis need to consider Putin as President or AD.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied

Originally posted by EasternBadger View Post
    http://politics.suntimes.com/article...03232014-324pm

Southern Illinois, playing in the B1G. Can't believe the answer was so obvious this whole time.
    Steps to make this happen:

1. Southern Illinois secedes from the North to become it's own state.
    2. Southern Illinois annexes St. Louis.
    3. With the new media market, the Big Ten will bring in SIU for BTN money.
    4. This doesn't really solve anything, because North Illinois will still only be left with one Big Ten school.
    5. South Illinois begins war to take Urbana-Champaign from North Illinois.
    6. Civil War continues north into Chicago where the city is decimated, destroying Big Ten offices and BTN studios.
    7. Big Ten folds, CCHA and WCHA return.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied

Why would you want Rutgers to start yet another program that they can suck at? I guess maybe if you're in the Big 10 hockey league and you want assurances that you'll always have a team you can beat you might be for it. Otherwise i can think of no reason.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by EasternBadger View Post

Southern Illinois, playing in the B1G. Can't believe the answer was so obvious this whole time.
    I had no idea that Illinois had also legalized pot, or, in this case, mushrooms.

Leave a comment:

• EasternBadger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• slowe
    replied
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    That's interesting. As a Maryland alum (grad school), they at least seemed to imply to us that moving to the B1G was indeed money related but that it would allow them to repair and expand the athletic department. I don't doubt your story but we were at least given the indication that the B1G move was a big payday.
    It is a payday for them and I'm sure it will help them repair the athletic department. But I'd have to imagine they would add the sports they dropped before any brand new ones. Plus they will need to upgrade football to be competitive. I just see any possibility of hockey as pretty far down the list.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    The vast majority of teams, even at the D-1 level, play in almost empty community rinks.
    True enough.

The Huskers ACHA team doesn't even play in Lincoln, but will once the Breslow Center is built there.

They play at Sidner ice arena in Fremont, NE, which is a YMCA facility (and seats 350 or so and is an hour away from Lincoln) and always have.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cows
    replied

Originally posted by Hockey Monk View Post
    Red Cows,

I hope you do not mind but I posted your post from here on the Scout Nebraska board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=204&f=4511&t=12761573

Also, as much as I want Nebraska to make the jump the rumors on the PBA are the sightlines are really bad for hockey as it is a basketball specific design. At the same time it holds 12k+ for hockey so maybe if you block off or tarp 3k of the really bad seats you could still have 9k for hockey.

What are your thoughts of the PBA as you could see the ice floor goes deep into one side:

http://www.1011now.com/localsports/h...213216951.html

Also, here is another look at where the ice floor sits during construction....seems like lots of seats need to be folded back:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/ar...b13b56a85.html
    I haven't been in Pinnacle Bank Center as yet. I do have a standing invite from a customer of mine there that is a suite holder to take in an event there, though. I need to take him up on this. I will say this, though; having a new facility with bad sight lines is better than having no facility at all.

Given the Nebraska lemmings that exist around here, I think Husker D-1 hockey would fill that building on an almost nightly basis. NU fans are a species of some of the biggest bandwaggoners I have ever seen.

Something that I have mentioned elsewhere, too---I firmly believe that Husker hockey would come at the expense of the Lincoln Stars. I don't think there are enough hockey dollars for both and, unlike the Lancers situation in Omaha where they were a long established big, big winner in a much bigger city, I think Stars fans would abandon them in droves for a Husker program. There are some UNO "fans" that would probably do this as well. I'd certainly follow both since they would be in different conferences but my loyalty would be to UNO, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Hockey Monk
    replied

Red Cows,

I hope you do not mind but I posted your post from here on the Scout Nebraska board:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=204&f=4511&t=12761573

Also, as much as I want Nebraska to make the jump the rumors on the PBA are the sightlines are really bad for hockey as it is a basketball specific design. At the same time it holds 12k+ for hockey so maybe if you block off or tarp 3k of the really bad seats you could still have 9k for hockey.

What are your thoughts of the PBA as you could see the ice floor goes deep into one side:

http://www.1011now.com/localsports/h...213216951.html

Also, here is another look at where the ice floor sits during construction....seems like lots of seats need to be folded back:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/ar...b13b56a85.html
    Last edited by Hockey Monk; 03-23-2014, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MGoBlueHockey
    replied

Maybe if Rutgers gets a team Michigan can manage to get to .500 against them in their first year.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Having spent (until this past season) eleven years with Penn State hockey, let me add my perspective to the annual debate of which school is ready to make the jump.

One of the big reasons that got Terry Pegula interested in funding D-1 hockey was the incredible fan base behind the Penn State Icers. The old Greenberg was regularly sold out night in and night out. Very few schools with existing ACHA teams can match the support level from fans, students and the school administration.

Ones that come to mind right away are Ohio, Illinois, Arizona, Rhode Island and Delaware. The vast majority of teams, even at the D-1 level, play in almost empty community rinks.

There's been the rumor of the Jimmy John's founder funding varsity hockey at Illinois, a group of alums looking to raise funding at Colorado State and various others dipping a toe in the water (Navy, Rhode Island). I doubt that any will happen in the near future. In my humble opinion, Illinois might be the best bet, with Navy a possibility for Atlantic Hockey with UConn soon to be heading East.

Leave a comment:

• Jasma
    replied
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    Buffalo State actually has a D-3 program and a "small" arena for D-1 that Canisius uses. U-Buffalo doesn't have a hockey facility at all and I can't imagine that anyone is considering it in the budget the way our state is. (Who knows, maybe if the Sabres get run out of town, the NHL arena will be looking for some guests.)

Two state schools that would be in a better position to add hockey would be U-Albany and U-Binghamton. Both are D-1 schools already and both could theoretically have access to facilities. U-Albany has two division 1 rinks in town as well as the TUC for bigger events. Binghamton has the Broome County facility which would actually be a good size arena for D-1.

Do I think any of the state schools are going to add hockey? Not anytime soon. Given the uptick in hockey programs in the Capital District, I'd think Albany would be the one with the most potential, especially as they've been supporting their athletic programs much more recently.
    UAlbany is very unlikely to add an expensive sport like hockey. They just built a new football stadium and moved their program to the best IAA league in the country. They want to spend millions more on the football facility and need to add more scholarships to make that program successful. Binghamton is a better bet, but with all the recent problems with their men's hoops program they are likely to lay low for some time. Not likely we will see another D1 program in the Empire State soon.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    Whenever this question comes up, a bunch of schools always pop into my head in a "they just sound like they should have a hockey team" list.

Syracuse
    Buffalo
    Colorado
    Colorado State
    Illinois
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Purdue

I know there are probably a dozen reasons (or at least IX) why they don't, and I imagine a lot of it has to do with the sheer cost of new ice facilities. I agree with the post about the Big 10 - I believe it's going to drag at least two of its schools into the fray within the next 5-6 years. Nebraska makes a lot of sense. If I were a betting man (and I am) I'd put my money on either Northwestern or Illinois joining the Cornhuskers when the Big eventually expands.
    Purdue's athletic department is not in nearly sound enough financial shape to think about adding hockey, and most of IUs finanacial health depends on robust booster support of the traditionally sound basketball team. Neither will add hockey anytime soon without their own Terry Pegula. And while there is always some sort of hockey being played at the either the junior or minor pro level (or both) in Indy -- it is where Gretzky started his major league career after all -- there really is not much interest in the sport in the Hoosier state. And the vast majority of it is in the northern quarter of the state.
    Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 03-23-2014, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FireKnight
    replied

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    Whenever this question comes up, a bunch of schools always pop into my head in a "they just sound like they should have a hockey team" list.

Syracuse
    Buffalo
    Colorado
    Colorado State
    Illinois
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Purdue

I know there are probably a dozen reasons (or at least IX) why they don't, and I imagine a lot of it has to do with the sheer cost of new ice facilities. I agree with the post about the Big 10 - I believe it's going to drag at least two of its schools into the fray within the next 5-6 years. Nebraska makes a lot of sense. If I were a betting man (and I am) I'd put my money on either Northwestern or Illinois joining the Cornhuskers when the Big eventually expands.
    Buffalo State actually has a D-3 program and a "small" arena for D-1 that Canisius uses. U-Buffalo doesn't have a hockey facility at all and I can't imagine that anyone is considering it in the budget the way our state is. (Who knows, maybe if the Sabres get run out of town, the NHL arena will be looking for some guests.)

Two state schools that would be in a better position to add hockey would be U-Albany and U-Binghamton. Both are D-1 schools already and both could theoretically have access to facilities. U-Albany has two division 1 rinks in town as well as the TUC for bigger events. Binghamton has the Broome County facility which would actually be a good size arena for D-1.

Do I think any of the state schools are going to add hockey? Not anytime soon. Given the uptick in hockey programs in the Capital District, I'd think Albany would be the one with the most potential, especially as they've been supporting their athletic programs much more recently.

Leave a comment:

• Patronick
    replied

Syracuse
    Buffalo
    Colorado
    Colorado State
    Illinois
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Indiana
    Purdue

Leave a comment:

Working...
X