Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Someone has probably already said, but is there unlocked wi-fi service at the Kohl Center?
    Yes. "BadgerWiFi" is what you want to connect to. You'll have to open your browser and hit "agree" before any of your apps will connect, but you don't need to log in to anything. (This is new for this year.)

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
      Yes. "BadgerWiFi" is what you want to connect to. You'll have to open your browser and hit "agree" before any of your apps will connect, but you don't need to log in to anything. (This is new for this year.)
      that is a nice new amenity, especially for my kids who have i-pods and don't have data service.

I opened up my varsity app and no badger game day app yet for hockey tonight. I wonder if/when that will get loaded up.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Video boards? Canned music? Lights on the ice?

Are you not entertained?
        They had to do something else entertaining because of the on-ice product.

Sorry... couldn't resist that one because it was way too easy. *Retreats back to safety*

EDIT: Does the canned music really do much for the crowds? I have been against that when you have a band right there every night. I think lights, smoke, video boards and other things are a little more acceptable IMHO.
        Last edited by Tiggsy; 11-07-2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
          Don't get me wrong, I would love that. But I thought there used to be a NC$$ prohibition on general alcohol sales at on-campus facilities (boxes, special people excluded). I don't know if The Ralph is on the UND campus so I'm curious if this is actually a rule, or still a rule.

As a former Blue Line Club member who enjoyed the benefit of drinking beer in between periods at the Kohl Center for a couple years, I would like that to be reinstated. That would improve my - and many fans - game experience a lot and be more entertaining to me than video boards and nifty lights.
          There are a few ways to get around the NCAA rules.

If I'm correct, The Ralph is just barely off campus, which allows it.
          WISCONSIN BADGERS
          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            How about a membership like blue line club, or better yet take those stupid club seats out of the ends and make them bars similar to NoDak's end line bars? Or do it by number of years giving / buying tickets instead of by giving level.
            Ok, make it a membership. It cost $500/year. How is that different? If it's $10 a year, they obviously aren't set up to service that number of people.

As for years, I understand where you're coming from, but how does it make sense? For example let's say DC graduates and becomes extraordinarily successful in a couple of years (as no doubt, he will) and wants to give $25k a year to the Athletic department. UW is then supposed to say "Thanks for the pile of cash, but sorry, you still can't get into the Kellner Club for a beer." I just don't think that works.

Good idea on the club seat thing, it would be great, but again it seems there are rules about alcohol sales that need to be circumvented somehow.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Video boards? Canned music? Lights on the ice?

Are you not entertained?

This was said in jest...

C'mon people!

Comment

It's unbelievable, but that's how Chicago sports fans are.

There is nothing unbelievable about that.

As for the rest, before I moved I didn't attend every game I had tix for either, or go to as many football or bouncy ball games as I could have for all the same reasons you list. And I'm not crying about fans complaining at all. For example, if solo didn't post his complaints about the boring hockey, what would I have to do? Complaints, disagreements, etc., are just fine by me. Right now I'm disagreeing with TJK but it's all good and he has a legitimate point to make.

I more just trying to add some perspective to the discussion. Like when folks feel this country has gone to hell and is the worst place ever, spend a couple weeks in a place like India, and despite all our problems, they'll have a much different understanding of the luck involved in being Americans.

Or similarly, just imagine what it would be like to be a gopher fan.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

I more just trying to add some perspective to the discussion. Like when folks feel this country has gone to hell and is the worst place ever, spend a couple weeks in a place like India, and despite all our problems, they'll have a much different understanding of the luck involved in being Americans.

Or similarly, just imagine what it would be like to be a gopher fan.
                  ?
                  Watching up-tempo hockey from a packed, un-obstructed view, dedicated use home arena? Every game televised?

Something Badger fans can contemplate as they reside in college hockey's version of Calcutta.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                    ?
                    Watching up-tempo hockey from a packed, un-obstructed view, dedicated use home arena? Every game televised?
                    Yeah, but with all that, you're still gopher fans. There's the rub.

Comment

Figures it would be cater to the have's. I choose corner tickets to be close to the Students and because I like sitting in the corner. Apparently that and my lower Badger Fund donation aren't good enough to get a chance to have a beer between periods. Again all they care about is the high end givers, not the long time ticket holders like me 15+ years (Friday and Saturday) not counting as a student.

I have about given up on UW and Hockey tix and this crap is what drives that mentality to me. Maybe I should just give up my tickets and listen / watch from home - the only way I can show my disdain by the UW for the common man. The AD shows no appreciation for my continued giving and buying tickets.
                      Not trying to start a fight or anything like that, but in what ways do you feel that UW should show appreciation to you?

Being completely honest, and not trying to be snarky or condescending, but you buy tickets (at a discount as part of the season ticket package) for an event and are granted entrance to and a seat from which to watch that event...what other things should be provided for you as a ticket purchaser?

As a donor (even at the lowest level), you are given access to purchase tickets in locations that are not available to a non-donor, you have a special purchase window for tickets to other sporting events, special access to post-season tickets, access to special discounts at Bucky's Locker Room; the list is pretty impressive.

And please, let's not let this devolve into a typical message board argument, I'd honestly like to know what you expect.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                        Not trying to start a fight or anything like that, but in what ways do you feel that UW should show appreciation to you?

Being completely honest, and not trying to be snarky or condescending, but you buy tickets (at a discount as part of the season ticket package) for an event and are granted entrance to and a seat from which to watch that event...what other things should be provided for you as a ticket purchaser?

As a donor (even at the lowest level), you are given access to purchase tickets in locations that are not available to a non-donor, you have a special purchase window for tickets to other sporting events, special access to post-season tickets, access to special discounts at Bucky's Locker Room; the list is pretty impressive.

And please, let's not let this devolve into a typical message board argument, I'd honestly like to know what you expect.
                        Well I do get a slight discount buying tickets for the season. However, they offer discounted tickets, family four packs throughout the season that are a better deal, with concessions vouchers. Granted you don't get the premium seats, but can easily move down to those (since the place is half empty). We pay for our tickets whether we go or not as season ticket holders.

So, some things I think we deserve in order of importance (almost all related to performance):

1. National Titles
                        2. Frozen Fours
                        3. Consistent NCAA tournament appearances almost every year
                        4. Winning at home
                        5. An entertaining brand of hockey
                        6. Discounted concessions / coupons
                        7. Just some simple thank yous from the athletes and / or athletic dept.
                        8. Listen to and address our concerns we place on the end of year surveys.
                        9. Other perks for helping fund the hockey team and athletic dept in general (what these are I don't exactly know)

The performance and entertainment value haven't been there as far as I am concerned. I write about that in my annual surveys, but they just keep doing the status quo each year. Instead of improving the team performance they add lights, canned music and smoke. I don't care about that crap. I spend a lot of my entertainment dollars on the UW men's hockey team and I don't feel currently the value is there. Obviously, I am not the only one as season ticket holders get less and less each year.

Heck 2 years ago they add the game at soldier field as a conference game and take away a premium game from the season ticket holders. Making us pay for a US under 18 exhibition game as part of the season tickets. Scheduling home cupcakes for non-conference games (although that is not the case this year). All of these take away from what used to be so much fun.

As a season ticket holder over many years, you would think they would come up with some way of thanking you for continued / repeated purchasing every year. Maybe after 10 years you get something, 20 years, 25, etc. Almost like a work anniversary. But mostly, I just want a better team year in and year out. I am not expecting perfection.

As a badger fund supporter, I am fine with the perks I get from that. You list them all out, even at the lowest levels. You also get the ticket exchange. And I simply can't afford to give more.
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Well I do get a slight discount buying tickets for the season. However, they offer discounted tickets, family four packs throughout the season that are a better deal, with concessions vouchers. Granted you don't get the premium seats, but can easily move down to those (since the place is half empty). We pay for our tickets whether we go or not as season ticket holders.

So, some things I think we deserve in order of importance (almost all related to performance):

1. National Titles
                          2. Frozen Fours
                          3. Consistent NCAA tournament appearances almost every year
                          4. Winning at home
                          5. An entertaining brand of hockey
                          6. Discounted concessions / coupons
                          7. Just some simple thank yous from the athletes and / or athletic dept.
                          8. Listen to and address our concerns we place on the end of year surveys.
                          9. Other perks for helping fund the hockey team and athletic dept in general (what these are I don't exactly know)

The performance and entertainment value haven't been there as far as I am concerned. I write about that in my annual surveys, but they just keep doing the status quo each year. Instead of improving the team performance they add lights, canned music and smoke. I don't care about that crap. I spend a lot of my entertainment dollars on the UW men's hockey team and I don't feel currently the value is there. Obviously, I am not the only one as season ticket holders get less and less each year.

Heck 2 years ago they add the game at soldier field as a conference game and take away a premium game from the season ticket holders. Making us pay for a US under 18 exhibition game as part of the season tickets. Scheduling home cupcakes for non-conference games (although that is not the case this year). All of these take away from what used to be so much fun.

As a season ticket holder over many years, you would think they would come up with some way of thanking you for continued / repeated purchasing every year. Maybe after 10 years you get something, 20 years, 25, etc. Almost like a work anniversary. But mostly, I just want a better team year in and year out. I am not expecting perfection.

As a badger fund supporter, I am fine with the perks I get from that. You list them all out, even at the lowest levels. You also get the ticket exchange. And I simply can't afford to give more.
                          #1-4 are earned not deserved and the athletic department has no control on the outcome of the games. #5 is a coaching style....and we already know your thoughts on that topic. The comment about how the university should improve the team instead of the lights/smoke/music, this is college hockey it isn't like you can pick up a free agent or trade for players. The Soldier field game taking away a UM game and having to pay for a US 18 game is a reasonable complaint. Barry is running the athletic department like a corporation. It isn’t going to change any time soon, so I would suggest giving up your tickets instead of being this upset for something that you have seen firsthand that your opinion will not change.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                            #1-4 are earned not deserved and the athletic department has no control on the outcome of the games. #5 is a coaching style....and we already know your thoughts on that topic. The comment about how the university should improve the team instead of the lights/smoke/music, this is college hockey it isn't like you can pick up a free agent or trade for players. The Soldier field game taking away a UM game and having to pay for a US 18 game is a reasonable complaint. Barry is running the athletic department like a corporation. It isn’t going to change any time soon, so I would suggest giving up your tickets instead of being this upset for something that you have seen firsthand that your opinion will not change.
                            The athletic dept sure as heck can influence outcome of games / teams with who they choose as a coach. And yes we should see championship level college hockey at Wisconsin with its resources and history - whether its earned, deserved whatever. My only recourse is giving up my tickets. Crazy it has to come to that after all these years, but yeah, you are probably right.

Comment

Working...
                            X