Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
    I'd disagree that there is less canned music this year. As far as I'm concerned, there should be NO canned music, pretty much at all, but especially during intermissions. The number of times music is played over the band is appalling.

Now they've added these little games with name the price, etc and it feels like the band has been wedged into the tiniest of windows.

So I guess my complaint would boil down to stop trying to be like other events. I expect the games and guess the attendance and fan "entertainment" stuff at Admirals games (or wherever) but I love that I get a totally unique experience at Badger hockey. And that has been the thing I've always "sold" people on when I've convinced them to come. I dislike that they continue to move away from that. The band and the dancing and the cheers are what makes the Badger experience fun and unique and special and as they continue to add all these other little moments with the host and the games, they are making their game the exact same as the AHL/USHL/NBA etc ... and losing the thing that made them distinct.
    (edit for spelling)
    I'm definitely on board with "more band, less canned." The point you made about AHL/USHL/NBA games is a good one. It's better than me saying "it's better this way because it just is."

Regarding getting more students to show up: that's obviously been a big priority for them this year, and it should get mentioned again and again. I ran into a (non-STH) friend the other day who went to the Minnesota games, and thought it was absolutely amazing. (I find that that kind of response from people not as enthusiastic about hockey as I am make a more convincing point about how great Badger hockey is.) I live with some guys who pretty much ignore UW hockey unless I have it on, even though they're definitely sports fans. One in particular, who I'm pretty sure has never been to a game, would certainly love it. (Come to think of it, I should probably ask what's been stopping him.) I've watched the transformation happen in so many cases, which is why I keep harping on the idea that "initial exposure" is so important. Another guy who I knew in my freshman year, who admitted to not knowing jack about hockey (was really into basketball and football), I've seen at several games this year. Season tickets, a jersey, everything. It was really bizarre to leave the Kohl Center after the Minny sweep, which felt like a live-changing, transcendental experience, into a room of people who were fairly happy at best when I told them the result. It was a very, very strange feeling.

Regarding swearing: appending that diminuitive form of "Richard" to the end of everything bugs me, but is there really a way to change that? The bigger issue to me is the "eff you" that most of the students add between "all your fault" and "sieve." Language issues aside, it muddles up what made the original SIEVE yell great. If only the band (I assume it started there) had known what would happen when they decided to add the "all your fault" part. "Eff the [mascot]" chants rarely happen, and the culture of creativity and positive chants overrides the swearing, easily. It's much, much better than at basketball or football (not even including ESFU) games.

Comment

The current sieve chant sucks. Every time I hear it, I kind of feel like the Indian in the old "Keep America Beautiful" litter commercials.

Singing "Sieve" to "On Wisconsin"? Just stupid.

EDIT: Get off my lawn snow.
      Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

My thoughts:
        Keep the American Flag across the student section during the national anthem.
        Keep the light show and smoke machines.
        Keep the intro videos. (Historical and such)
        Keep the variety of singers and the band for the national anthem.
        Keep the player vs. fan challenges at intermission.
        Get rid of arena announcer guy. The University can find someone better.
        Add a cell phone tower inside the Kohl (wishful thinking).
        What ever happened to Ask the Badgers?

Finally, the University was able to get butts in the seats for UMich, OSU, Minny, and MSU. Make that a trend for next year on Fridays and Saturdays, plus against weaker opponents.
        The first year of the Big Ten is not done with but I like the change. The last couple years a felt like the competition vs. the old WCHA was getting stale. Competing vs. the B1G schools this year made the games so much more entertaining.

Just my thoughts.
        WISCONSIN BADGERS
        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          Finally, the University was able to get butts in the seats for UMich, OSU, Minny, and MSU. Make that a trend for next year on Fridays and Saturdays, plus against weaker opponents.
          I want opening night to be a bigger deal.

Comment

I'm not sure how realistic it is, but as you mention your roommates who know nothing about hockey, I'd suggest/ask about some sort of "intro" course before the season starts. Basic rules, etc. Heck, maybe the Crease Creatures could run/sponsor it.

One of the things that drew me to (the) Badger hockey (experience) initially was that the students WANTED to be there. When students were lining up to get season tickets. So it wasn't like football games where everyone got student tickets because it was the thing to 'do'. I always liked how into the game and knowledgeable the student section was because about a decade ago the students would camp out for tickets. Obviously they can't falsely create the demand for tickets, but they could help create a smarter fanbase and also maybe introduce and find new fans by making the game more accessible. Think of that "primer" piece I wrote before Fill the Bowl. Some sort of pre-tickets on sale event that has the same premise might drum up support.

Just my penny's worth ...
            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
              I'm not sure how realistic it is, but as you mention your roommates who know nothing about hockey, I'd suggest/ask about some sort of "intro" course before the season starts. Basic rules, etc. Heck, maybe the Crease Creatures could run/sponsor it.
              That wasn't quite what I was getting at. I do know people who would fit what you described, and I've seen them get more and more into hockey. I'm talking about people who may have a basic knowledge of hockey (average minnesota sports fans who don't focus on it), but never give Badger hockey a try because.....reasons? We'll watch Wild games and whatnot, but considering what I've experienced at some hockey games exceeds any football game, last year's court-storming vs Michigan, etc, it bewilders me that people who aren't completely foreign to hockey and watch sports programming all the time don't get into it.

When it comes to capturing the interest of students, hockey is in a much different situation than football or basketball. Everyone knows about college football. People generally get what college basketball is all about. If they ever watch sports stuff, they'll be exposed to it. With hockey, you have people who want to watch lots of sports and be a fan who have never even considered college hockey. I had never even heard of college hockey until the 2009 Frozen Four. I'm sure there are plenty of NHL fans who don't really consider college hockey when they come to UW. The same cannot be said about basketball or football. We're spoonfed those. College hockey is just something "extra" to the general populace of sports fans.

Edit: To summarize this, I think getting the low-hanging fruit should be emphasized, because unlike in football and basketball, there's a lot of it. Whether they're hockey fans or just have a mild interest in hockey, there are quite a few people who don't get into Badger hockey when they're perfect for it.
              Last edited by WiscDC; 02-28-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Suggestion for red-white scrimmage:

Add a skills competition before or after. You could also include some women's players and have co-ed teams compete against each other in a team like format. If this takes too long cut one period off the scrimmage or have an alumni game followed by a skills competition the night before. I realize you won't be able to get current pro players, but I do think you can get a decent draw if the right players were in involved.(Eaves, Johnson, Shuchuk, G. Suter, B. Suter, Norwich, Byce, etc.) And again you could add some of the more popular women alumni to the game as well.
                Last edited by sweatpants; 02-28-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Badgers now at 5th in the PWR.....thanks to nodak for taking out st clown.....keep it rolling bucky that #1 seed is within reach...of course we will need a strong finish and little help from our friends

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                    Badgers now at 5th in the PWR.....thanks to nodak for taking out st clown.....keep it rolling bucky that #1 seed is within reach...of course we will need a strong finish and little help from our friends
                    You may get help, but you are badgers. You have no friends.
                    "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                      That would be extremely difficult, especially if they want to capture the crisp sounds of that first guitar. I mean, it took me forever to recognize that they were playing "Pinball Wizard," because it sounds so different if you don't know exactly what to listen for.
                      I wish I were a composer, I can hear it in my head right now.

It would be really cool to do the men's/women's no check scrimmage/skills competiton. You could go straight up men vs women or have mixed teams. I'd pay some serious coin to see the gals go against the lads straight up. Just the chance to compare the speed and skills straight up in a game would be awesome. Too bad the "pre-season" for hockey is just so short it would be impossible to do it then, but maybe a post season event.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                        The current sieve chant sucks. Every time I hear it, I kind of feel like the Indian in the old "Keep America Beautiful" litter commercials.

Singing "Sieve" to "On Wisconsin"? Just stupid.

EDIT: Get off my lawn snow.
                        Agree and disagree......agree the current seive chant isn't as good as the original......disagree on singing seive to On Wisconsin. I like the fact I get to say sieve 840 times a game, especially @ Labahn....they hear ya.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The only suggestion worth giving the AD is letting the **** band play, and knock it off with the canned entertainment. You have a band for a reason, it's a COLLEGIATE event which shouldn't aspire for a USHL/AHL/NBA/Arena Football environment. Canned entertainment (I'm now saying that since it has gone beyond music) keeps a silencer on the band and even worse prevents fans from having a lively experience at games. The AD should encourage passion in its fans, not remove it.

I hate to say it, but the rest of it is all on the students and the more vocal of the old people. The cleverness I cheers and chants, how involved you are... that's on you guys. The AD will not be able to force in atmosphere (that's how we get lame canned entertainment), you have to make it for yourself, and it's up to the Crease Creatures to be crass without being stupid (which, let's admit, is hard to do but fun when you pull it off).
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                            I prefer creativity over crudeness and just adding d*ck to the end of each chant is rather pathetic coming from all these "bright" minds at UW. I think they can do way better than that.

I would like to see them get someone far less annoying and loud, to do all the talking during tv timeouts. The current guy is HORRIBLE! If you are going to add some arena microphone person who goes around during timeouts and intermissions, at least have them be good at what they do. Hire the girl from Green Bay Gamblers (if she is still there). He reminds me of Brett Bielema, and that triples my annoyance.
                            Totally agree on that guy. They can kill the whole thing. He is awful with a face only radio could love. Thats why he is at the Big 1070 in Madison where he should stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                              I prefer creativity over crudeness and just adding d*ck to the end of each chant is rather pathetic coming from all these "bright" minds at UW. I think they can do way better than that.

I would like to see them get someone far less annoying and loud, to do all the talking during tv timeouts. The current guy is HORRIBLE! If you are going to add some arena microphone person who goes around during timeouts and intermissions, at least have them be good at what they do. Hire the girl from Green Bay Gamblers (if she is still there). He reminds me of Brett Bielema, and that triples my annoyance.
                              have to agree Gandalf 80% of student section cheers suck.....take it in the rear song....how disgusting is that, they took one of the all time great sieve songs and ruined it.....how many other student sections countdown and then yell halftime....halftime for what there isn't a break in the action.....agree if we have a PA guy/gal during breaks bring Frenchie from the gamblers in at least she knows how to connect with the crowd...

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                                have to agree Gandalf 80% of student section cheers suck.....take it in the rear song....how disgusting is that, they took one of the all time great sieve songs and ruined it.....how many other student sections countdown and then yell halftime....halftime for what there isn't a break in the action.....agree if we have a PA guy/gal during breaks bring Frenchie from the gamblers in at least she knows how to connect with the crowd...
                                You're the only person I've ever heard of who hates the mildly amusing and completely harmless "halftime" countdown. (How many others do it? It's probably not as big as asking how much time is left when there's a minute to go, but it's close.) And it is "sound of me" and "in the ear." Pretty much everyone doesn't know it, though. Still better than Michigan by a very large factor.

Comment

Working...
                                X