Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2013/2014 Season, II ... May I have another?

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    You guys got ZERO respect on the selection show. I admire Dave Starman, but he needs to stay up late and watch video of conference tournament games that he did not broadcast if he is going to pick favorites, long shots, best players, etc. on national television. Thatcher Demko? Really, Dave? There was another HEA goalie who actually played games this weekend, was the 1st player ever voted 2x HEA tourney MVP, and has stopped 129 consecutive shots while not allowing a goal in 230 minutes (that's, let's see... ummm... almost 4 games dating back to last freaking year) in the garden. Oh and he is a Sophomore. Yeah.

This year's tournament time River Hawks look like last year's tournament time River Hawks with added experience and understanding of what it takes along with better offense. Lowell was the best team in any of this weekend's conference tournaments and don't forget they play in the best conference in the country. Jeez! Okay, I'm better now.
    Right now I would bet on UML or Union to win it all. UVM is going to have a tough 1st round vs Union. That said UVM is probably the best team UML has seen in the last 5 weeks so if they can play like they did in the QF then it will be fun to watch.

Comment

The hyphenated challenge 2014......

Hoping they can keep showing up like they did this weekend, what a great two games.

Comment

darius, he talked about demko when talking about bc specifically. did you want him to talk about hellebuyck when talking about bc???

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          darius, he talked about demko when talking about bc specifically. did you want him to talk about hellebuyck when talking about bc???
          I talk about Hellebuyck when I'm discussing routine maintenance with my mechanic so I don't see why ESPNU has to dodge that issue.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
          -Blackadder
          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
          -Casablanca
          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            You guys got ZERO respect on the selection show. I admire Dave Starman, but he needs to stay up late and watch video of conference tournament games that he did not broadcast if he is going to pick favorites, long shots, best players, etc. on national television. Thatcher Demko? Really, Dave? There was another HEA goalie who actually played games this weekend, was the 1st player ever voted 2x HEA tourney MVP, and has stopped 129 consecutive shots while not allowing a goal in 230 minutes (that's, let's see... ummm... almost 4 games dating back to last freaking year) in the garden. Oh and he is a Sophomore. Yeah.

This year's tournament time River Hawks look like last year's tournament time River Hawks with added experience and understanding of what it takes along with better offense. Lowell was the best team in any of this weekend's conference tournaments and don't forget they play in the best conference in the country. Jeez! Okay, I'm better now.
            Getting zero respect? I though we were used to it by now. Good ol' Joe didn't seem to be happy awarding us the Lamarillo again. And if Barry Melrose picks us for anything I would expect that a meteor is gonna hit.
            I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

not like they picked bc. they didn't pick that region. all starman picked was union to win it all and north dakota could be this year's version of yale.

Comment

not like they picked bc. they didn't pick that region. all starman picked was union to win it all and north dakota could be this year's version of yale.
                They have Starman's predictions on espn.com. He picks UML as the only non #1 seed to advance to Philly. He said we're better than last year, so there isn't any lack of respect.

Comment

Yes! Especially with Coach York on the phone. "Hey coach, you have a great young goalie, but what do you think about that brick wall up there in the city I can't recall the name of right now?" Why were they even talking about BC without mentioning they lost last weekend to a team that lost in the semis this weekend? Probably because they scheduled Coach York for a phone interview 2 weeks ago. Yes BC is a #1 seed as is MN, but did they play yesterday? Is it of no interest to fans that #1 seeds did not make their conference tournaments and that this year's NCAA's are wide open?

I understand what they were doing, promoting their upcoming broadcasts to the broadest audience by focusing on BC, MN, Notre Dame, North Dakota. I get it. People west of the Hudson probably don't know what state Lowell is in. Doesn't mean I have to like it or that it is right for fans who have more than a casual interest which realistically was the majority of the audience tuned to ESPNU on Sunday at noon. Perhaps it speaks to the long discussed issue of ESPN owning the NCAA hockey tournament broadcast rights with no regular season broadcast interest excepting a few PA ST ESPNNews matinee broadcasts, but I tune in to learn something not shout the obvious at the announcers.

In no way am I comparing my hockey knowledge to Dave's, but I watched some or all of every tournament game Thursday - Saturday and UML was by far the most dominant team and Hellebuyck's performance deserved at least a mention. Years ago my daughter gifted me a multi shot NERF Air-tech 1000 so I could fire at will at the news channel talking heads. I'll have it at my side next weekend.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I think his point was that they didn't say a single word about Lowell other than announcing our spot. Spending time talking about Demko while skipping any talk of our matchup with Mankato entirely was bogus and incomplete crap reporting.

Comment

they did mention earlier that notre dame beat bc. they can't have every coach on for an interview. the selection show isn't just about what happened yesterday. it's a reflection on the entire season. and dave starman picked UNION on air to win it all. he picked a guy from st. cloud to win hobey. he's apparently picked lowell to win the regional. your frustration is misguided here.

Comment

The selection show is about presenting the teams and analyzing the matchups. All the matchups.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                          The selection show is about presenting the teams and analyzing the matchups. All the matchups.
                          They spent all of 10 seconds on our regional last year. Pretty sure they focused more on UNH and Denver than UML and Wisco
                          I'd probably be a lot less stressed if I wasn't a hockey fan, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

• Originally posted by CleggyofUML View Post
                            Getting zero respect? I though we were used to it by now. Good ol' Joe didn't seem to be happy awarding us the Lamarillo again. And if Barry Melrose picks us for anything I would expect that a meteor is gonna hit.
                            Joe didn't appear happy because you cost a 6th HE team from making the NCAA's. These are the Obama years you are supposed to share the wealth. You UML people are greedy taking two titles in a row. That being said, your team looked great this weekend. Good luck. Your team being placed in the same regional as BC is a bit of a disappointment. Had the teams been placed in different regionals I believe they both would make it to the FF.

Comment

Starman's credibility is shot when he didn't say Johnny G should win the Hobey.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                                If it was supposed to cover all of the match ups, it would be longer than 30 minutes long. This is not that important to ESPN. While Starman and Buchigross were spouting off about their love for the game, I was remembering all the miscues in the last several years which starkly revealed the lack of preparation and credibility of the staff.

The running joke (?) is that other than the talking heads, they put the third or fourth string on our broadcasts doing the research, doing the engineering and making the graphics. Doesn't matter, something is usually better than nothing.
                                Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                                Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                                "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                                KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Working...
                                X