Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State-Mankato at NMU 1/31 and 2/1: Oh What Fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State-Mankato at NMU 1/31 and 2/1: Oh What Fun.

No, nothing specific. Just wondered if there were any gems in the midst of the interview that could be discussion worthy.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      DavyD, Is there anywhere to listen to the interview you did with Bruce McLeod in UAA, or a recap of what he talked about?

Unless I read another thread wrong that said you interviewed him.
      Kurt Haider of UAA interviewed him as well, and I can tell you what they discussed. McLeod said the new WCHA has more than lived up to his expectations. He had a lot of anxiety heading into the season, but he couldn't be happier with the caliber of play. He's happy with the officiating and how well things have fallen into place. He addressed losing the big guns like UND, UM, and UW, but he said there is a lot more parity in college hockey than there used to be. He also talked about the geography of the WCHA and travel issues, and that these are long term issues ... but noted that Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio travel budgets have really changed as well.

He did say that we aren't done with the changes in the WCHA yet, and that the financial reality for a lot of people is already setting in and there will be some tweaking down the road. Kurt asked him how the America One came to be ... McLeod said he has been thinking about it for awhile because there isn't a lot of money in hockey (getting television rights), and the costs are too prohibitive to air the games on TV ($30,000 for a bare bones broadcast per game or $75,000 for a top notch broadcast). He feels America One is helping to brand the league. Initially Fox Sports was supposed to do the games, but that didn't get off the ground in time so they went with America One.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The team made it out of Mankato without many problems today. Thankfully the snow didn't hinder things for them.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          Kurt Haider of UAA interviewed him as well, and I can tell you what they discussed. McLeod said the new WCHA has more than lived up to his expectations. He had a lot of anxiety heading into the season, but he couldn't be happier with the caliber of play. He's happy with the officiating and how well things have fallen into place. He addressed losing the big guns like UND, UM, and UW, but he said there is a lot more parity in college hockey than there used to be. He also talked about the geography of the WCHA and travel issues, and that these are long term issues ... but noted that Western Michigan and Miami of Ohio travel budgets have really changed as well.

He did say that we aren't done with the changes in the WCHA yet, and that the financial reality for a lot of people is already setting in and there will be some tweaking down the road. Kurt asked him how the America One came to be ... McLeod said he has been thinking about it for awhile because there isn't a lot of money in hockey (getting television rights), and the costs are too prohibitive to air the games on TV ($30,000 for a bare bones broadcast per game or $75,000 for a top notch broadcast). He feels America One is helping to brand the league. Initially Fox Sports was supposed to do the games, but that didn't get off the ground in time so they went with America One.
          Sounds pretty much the same as the conversation I had with him. Nothing earth shattering. Nothing unexpected. They are sticking with the Final Five branding for now in hopes that it will return to either 5 teams or 5 games at some point. But for now it's like the 14 team Big Ten or the 10 team Big 12!
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Sounds pretty much the same as the conversation I had with him. Nothing earth shattering. Nothing unexpected. They are sticking with the Final Five branding for now in hopes that it will return to either 5 teams or 5 games at some point. But for now it's like the 14 team Big Ten or the 10 team Big 12!
            I thought Final Five referred to the crowd in attendance?
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              I thought Final Five referred to the crowd in attendance?
              Stick to worrying about the Big 10. Or is it 6, or 12 or 14?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Solid Win last night... Let's see another performance like that tonight...

Siemer has been a very pleasant surprise... Kid just seems to have a knack for finding the puck...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

These Mavericks are just flat out gross on the road. What a disappointment thus far. For returning so much talent and experience, things just haven't been good.
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

This was sorta the typical nWCHA series so far this year. Each team has moments/periods/a game, but no consistency, and very few sweeps. Adjusting to new styles, or travel, or a lack of depth...whatever it is, it's a lot of frustration, but it does make for some excitement. Who thought that this late in the year, most of the conference could still mathematically miss out on the playoffs?

Comment

Working...
                    X