Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union @ RPI, Wednesday 12/9/09

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Regarding anthems, I only yell "Red" if I am at a home game around other people that commonly do it. For the most part I find it in bad taste, and this is coming from someone who has commonly performed the song both vocally and instrumentally (vocally not at college, but elsewhere; obviously I performed it with the pep band). Commonly I will sing along, either English or French depending upon how I feel that day and if they actually pllay that anthem. Yes I get weird looks from people around me, but it's still respecting the song and respective countries.

I think the Game DQ is because it was a scuffle at the end of the game for being ticked about losing. Yes, it's OK for the team to be ticked, but that doesn't mean you take it out on the winners. In the NHL (at least when the lockout ended, I don't know if it's still true), you receive a fine for fighting in the last 5 minutes of the game. I see the Game DQ as something very similar, except that since NCAA players are not paid, their punishment comes in the form of ice time.

But yea, so it's 1-2 now. January 16th is when we attempt to get our revenge. Until then, continue to play well when you don't play RPI.
    Ripping the facemask off got him the major and DQ. Had it stayed on, it would only have been a minor penalty.
    "That was a lot of fun. We don't go to jail, we beat up their chicken forwards, we score 10 goals and win. Now, 'The Moose' drinks beer." -- Defenseman Andre Dupont after the "Broad Street Bullies" Flyers beat up Vancouver, 11-5, in March 1973.

Comment

Originally posted by slapschott View Post
      Ripping the facemask off got him the major and DQ. Had it stayed on, it would only have been a minor penalty.
      So he gets a game DQ 'cause Simpson's chinstrap was loose?
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        The anthem discussion had me thinking, why is it that it has to be played at sporting events? The fact that it precedes "games" with certain exceptions, like Memorial Day or the 4th of July, to me demeans its value and significance. I can't honestly remember the last time I've heard the anthem at a nonsporting event and maybe that's part of my concern. Just seems odd to me.
        It's tradition at this point, but it's also a display of respect.

From 2003:

It is generally accepted that its first appearance during a sporting event was the 1918 World Series. To demonstrate major league patriotism, baseball teams had the players march in formation during pre-game military drills while carrying bats on their shoulders. During the seventh-inning stretch of game one, when the band spontaneously began to play the "Star Spangled Banner," the Cubs and Red Sox players stood at attention facing the centerfield flag pole. The crowd sang along and applauded when the singing ended.

Given this reaction in Chicago, the "Star Spangled Banner" was played during the seventh-inning stretch for the next two games. When the Series moved to Boston, the great theatrical Red Sox owner Harry Frazee pumped up the show biz: He brought in a band, and the song was played before the start of each game.

When the war ended, the song continued to be played, but only on special occasions when a band was present — such as opening day, special holidays or the World Series. On opening day in Washington, D.C., it was played before the president of the United States, and local politicians in other cities learned to participate in the events.

The "Star Spangled Banner" was finally declared the official national anthem in 1931. Even though by 1934 some ballparks had public address systems, it still was not played at every game. The coming of war in the late 1930s changed all of that. During the 1939-40 National Hockey League season, the Canadian anthem was played at games in Canadian cities as Canada was already at war. Then the practice spread to Madison Square Garden and from there it was transferred from hockey to baseball.

In 1940, with the fighting underway in earnest and America becoming more conscious of the possibility of war, there was increased talk of the need to hear the national anthem before all baseball games. This was suggested by The Sporting News in June, while at the same time the president of the International League called for the anthem to be played in U.S. league cities, as was already being done in Canadian cities. By 1941, the practice of playing the anthem before sporting events had achieved nearly universal status. At some games the pledge of allegiance was added, and, by 1941, "I Am an American Day" became a feature at major league parks.

It would be nice to say that all of this was due to pure patriotic expression, but of course much of it was created by PR-conscious owners who wanted to make sure that no one would question the patriotism of athletes who played games during World War II while others went off to serve their country. Four years of war, followed by the Cold War and the emergence of the American Empire, solidified the practice and made it into a national ritual.

In recent years, the national anthem has lost its patriotic air in most sports venues. It has become an occasion for entertainers to display their talents or lack thereof, fans to create new cheers, and the networks to run commercials. Its symbolic significance has been overshadowed by commercial purposes and public indifference, but it can still rattle the
        cages when someone uses it as an occasion for protest.

Whether the practice should continue is doubtful as sporting events have little inherent relationship to patriotism. To try to change this custom in the middle of war fever would, of course, be impossible.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
          The anthem discussion had me thinking, why is it that it has to be played at sporting events? The fact that it precedes "games" with certain exceptions, like Memorial Day or the 4th of July, to me demeans its value and significance. I can't honestly remember the last time I've heard the anthem at a nonsporting event and maybe that's part of my concern. Just seems odd to me.
          Agreed. The national anthem at a sporting event is silly and unnecessary. Most other countries don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            It's tradition at this point, but it's also a display of respect.

From 2003:
            I can certainly agree that it at least should be a display of respect, but unfortunately boorish behavior has demeaned it which is wrong on every level.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
              Agreed. The national anthem at a sporting event is silly and unnecessary. Most other countries don't do it
              Unnecessary? Perhaps.

Silly? (facepalm)

Comment

Ah but is does allow you to see the dolts who don't know the difference between the Anthem and the Pledge put their hand over their heart! Some even do it for Oh Canada!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                  Ah but is does allow you to see the dolts who don't know the difference between the Anthem and the Pledge put their hand over their heart! Some even do it for Oh Canada!
                  Ha yes and I actually love the Canadian national anthem. It's a much better melody.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                    Know what you're talking about before you speak, kids.

The Salute
                    To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
                    The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
                    When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.
                    Fail.

I do see a lot of people putting their cover over their heart when they salute. I'm always sure to place it on my shoulder.

Comment

When Americans and or Canadians come together to compete in a sporting event I don't see it as silly that we pay respect to our flags. Especially when we are fighting a war. It is good to take time and think about the young people that are making the ultimate sacrifice.
                      Just watch the greatest announcer of all time use his place in front of the camera pay his respects to fallen Canadien soldiers. Don Cherry never misses the chance to let us know how lucky we are to have brave people out there to protect our sorry asses.
                      So take your stupid hat off and think about it

RED!!!
                      Last edited by Beman; 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                        When Americans and or Canadians come together to compete in a sporting event I don't see it as silly that we pay respect to our flags. Especially when we are fighting a war. It is good to take time and think about the young people that are making the ultimate sacrifice.
                        Just watch the greatest announcer of all time use his place in front of the camera pay his respects to fallen Canadien soldiers. Don Cherry never misses the chance to let us know how lucky we are to have brave people out there to protect our sorry asses.
                        So take your stupid hat off and think about it

RED!!!

I don't come to hockey games to think about wars. I come to hockey games specifically to not think about wars (except for the one on the ice). If they want to make a special event only on veterans day and memorial day that makes sense and would be more meaningful. It's not needed at every game though.

Comment

I don't come to hockey games to think about wars. I come to hockey games specifically to not think about wars (except for the one on the ice). If they want to make a special event only on veterans day and memorial day that makes sense and would be more meaningful. It's not needed at every game though.
                          We'd be happy to send you a one way ticket to North Korea, or Iran if you prefer, if the anthem irks you that much.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Yeah, I know, it's really a drag have to ever think about those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that you have the freedom to take in a hockey game whenever you feel like it.

You're probably one of the many mouthbreathers who show up after the opening faceoff anyway, standing there staring at your ticket in the aisle while everyone who bothered to show up on time tries to look around you to see the game. So what do you care?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              Yeah, I know, it's really a drag have to ever think about those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that you have the freedom to take in a hockey game whenever you feel like it.

You're probably one of the many mouthbreathers who show up after the opening faceoff anyway, standing there drooling on your ticket in the aisle while everyone who bothered to show up on time tries to look around you to see the game. So what do you care?
                              FYP.

Comment

That is the point you idiot.... Take the couple minutes out of your so important life to think about it.
                                Last edited by Beman; 12-11-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X