X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union @ RPI, Wednesday 12/9/09

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    What about the freshmen? Upperclassmen?
    Seeing as how the sophomores have been "picked on" in the papers the most, that is probably the reason for the reference.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
      Posts from early that year if the Internet existed:

"If we didn't get injured last year we would've had a real shot to win it all then and now this. Last year was our year to win it all and we blew it. Mike Addessa better really get his act together because there's no way Daren Puppa can carry this team and Oates, Servinis and Carter are a one line show. I don't know why Addessa feels the need to sit guys, what's the deal with that?"

I'll let you kids decide if 1985 troyboy or RedWrister would've written that.

Bravo!!! LOL
      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Jooris usually skated with Oates and Carter in 84-85. Servinis usually was with Tiano and DiPronio. Both Carter and Servinis skated on the left wing. The only time that they probably were on the ice was on the powerplay when Carter was on the left point.

Servinis skated with Oates and Jooris as frosh, but when Servinis was on the Canadian Olympic team (pre-Olympic tour) in their soph year, Carter was moved up. That line stuck together most of the time.

I think that I got that correct.

You definitely got the posting idea correct.
        This is a great topical reference to the heat Appert has been getting in the other thread. Jooris was often in Addesa's doghouse, and Bob DiPronio played most games in 83-84 and the first 8-10 in 84-85 w/ Carter and Oates. I think the Xmas tournament was when the switch of RW's happened.
        Class of '93

Comment

One can make a credible argument for the growing prominence and acrimony of the RPI/Union rivalry. Appert likes scheduling them for possible out-of-conference games. Also, consider that RPI is something like 3-9-3 against Union going back 5-6 years. I don't know that people are just going to shrug that off.
          Mileage logged, 2005-06: 12759

Comment

Originally posted by RobTricks View Post
            One can make a credible argument for the growing prominence and acrimony of the RPI/Union rivalry. Appert likes scheduling them for possible out-of-conference games. Also, consider that RPI is something like 3-9-3 against Union going back 5-6 years. I don't know that people are just going to shrug that off.

Not easy to shrug it off, especially when not too long ago, we "Ran things in the Capital District"

All in all, very much looking forward to tomorrow night,as we really need a win to right things a bit before BU and the break. It just happens to be against Union who is playing well right now, which adds more spice to it.
            Last edited by DavidSec17; 12-08-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
              and realet you're kidding yourself if you don't think that RPI totally outplayed Union 5 on 5 in both games. I was at both games, were you? The entire game pretty much spent in the Union zone, the only relief being RPI's stupid penalties or Unions clutch and grab in the first game. Honestly, if you don't think they were dominated then maybe you should watch another sport.
              That was awesome.
              Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                This is a great topical reference to the heat Appert has been getting in the other thread. Jooris was often in Addesa's doghouse, and Bob DiPronio played most games in 83-84 and the first 8-10 in 84-85 w/ Carter and Oates. I think the Xmas tournament was when the switch of RW's happened.
                I wonder if the fact that Mark Jooris was often in Addesa's doghouse had something to do with his son, Josh, committing to Union for next season. It probably didn't, but conceivably Jooris Sr. has some negative feelings to RPI.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder if the fact that Mark Jooris was often in Addesa's doghouse had something to do with his son, Josh, committing to Union for next season. It probably didn't, but conceivably Jooris Sr. has some negative feelings to RPI.
                  I'd say Jacob Laliberté, Brock Higgs, and Matt Tinordi probably played a pretty large role in Jooris not coming to RPI.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    I'd say Jacob Laliberté, Brock Higgs, and Matt Tinordi probably played a pretty large role in Jooris not coming to RPI.
                    I agree. That's why I wrote "It probably didn't".
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                      That's a generous estimate on your part.

The Union folks that come to RPI are more of the Schenectady townie variety as well as folks who look like they graduated from the very first class at Union College.
                      I'd have to agree here...even when classes are in session, not many Union students make the trip to Troy. I think it's harder to gauge the student contingent (and pretty much the entire Union crowd) now that Section 1 is history, but I don't see many students at HFH these days...disappointing, really.

As for the "rivalry", I can see how some current RPI students may start thinking of this as a bigger rivalry than the alums/townies, but I would also imagine many alums would pass along the "hatred" for Clarkson, Cornell, etc. more so than whatever exists for Union. Most of what I see here are some RPI alum still thinking "C'mon...it's Union" and focusing on beating Clarkson & Cornell.

Because of RPI's history, there's certainly less of a rivalry for Union, but from any Union fan's perspective, RPI is the chief rival...they're the "big brother" that has always gotten top billing with the local media (excluding Ken Schott!) win or lose. Heck, I've been rooting against RPI for years even before Union went D-I!
                      Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                        As for the "rivalry", I can see how some current RPI students may start thinking of this as a bigger rivalry than the alums/townies, but I would also imagine many alums would pass along the "hatred" for Clarkson, Cornell, etc. more so than whatever exists for Union. Most of what I see here are some RPI alum still thinking "C'mon...it's Union" and focusing on beating Clarkson & Cornell.
                        That's pretty much exactly right. And to some extent I can see why current students might think of Union as a rival, since the Engineers have been so bad for so many years. No offense.

Because of RPI's history, there's certainly less of a rivalry for Union, but from any Union fan's perspective, RPI is the chief rival...they're the "big brother" that has always gotten top billing with the local media (excluding Ken Schott!) win or lose. Heck, I've been rooting against RPI for years even before Union went D-I!
                        Which is why, ultimately, Union ends up having an edge when the teams are evenly matched. These games obviously have some kind of esoteric value to Union and its fans beyond the point value. The "big brother" analogy is spot on and there's really not much that can be done in the short-term to get around it, much to UHM's displeasure.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

lets hope the snow doesnt keep people away from the last home game for 6-7 weeks

cant spell sucks without the U
                          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post

The engineer players and coaches have made it a "rivalry" by playing so bad against Union. Even when RPI has had "good" teams and the dutch have had "weak" teams the hfhers' let Union play with them. It time to put those boys from edison in the rear view mirror.
                            Union is good this year so this would be a most excellent time to beat them by 4 goals

Time 4 sgt York to earn his 50 grand a year scholarship.

Comment

Call it what you will, but it sounds like the coaches and players are into it.

"It's a huge rivalry," Helfrich said. "It's safe to say that we don't like them and they don't like us."

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...ory=COLLHOCKEY

Comment

I'm not sure, I seem to remember an article on Jooris around the 20th anniversary, that touched on his struggles. There seemed to be talk of his transferring at one point. I wonder what the google has to say...
                                Class of '93

Comment

Working...
                                X