Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union @ RPI, Wednesday 12/9/09

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    It's just terminology wrt the subject (college hockey). And I don't think it's "obsession"...it's a mere fact that many of Union fans are happy that Union is finally winning more games against RPI recently than otherwise.
    I guarantee you that if the Engineers win tomorrow, we do not care in the slightest about "bragging rights." They are non-existent.

I get that Union has an obsession with beating RPI, but it's hard to have "bragging rights" when the other side just shrugs its shoulders.
    Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
      I guarantee you that if the Engineers win tomorrow, we do not care in the slightest about "bragging rights." They are non-existent.

I get that Union has an obsession with beating RPI, but it's hard to have "bragging rights" when the other side just shrugs its shoulders.
      As an RPI undergrad, I don't see why there isn't a bigger rivalry with Union. Is there some history (or lack thereof) that explains your "not caring" stance toward Union?
      RPI Class of 2012
      Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
        Interesting to note that the thread for this Wednesday's RPI-Union game, up to this point, contains 10 posts, 9 of which are exclusively devoted to last Saturday's RPI-Colgate game.
        At least the RPI-Colgate game was recent. The RPI-BU thread is back in 1985.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
          As an RPI undergrad, I don't see why there isn't a bigger rivalry with Union. Is there some history (or lack thereof) that explains your "not caring" stance toward Union?
          I suppose it is just that Union does not have the long storied Division I history. Or perhaps that years ago when RPI was a powerhouse that Union was just not competitive. They certainly are now, however, and that does make for some rough tough hockey. This game means a tremendous amount to RPI as far as this season goes but either team winning doesn't give anyone "bragging rights" since the other 2 games were both OT affairs. As for me, I view every RPI game as a rivalry game-whether it be Clarkson and SLU(teams we have lost to more than any others) or BU and Vermont who we see occassionally but have a long history with. After 5 losses in our last 6 games-no matter how you paint it, this is a very important game for us and I am sure all the players and coaches are well aware of that fact.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

If I had to guess it is due to U's relatively recent entry into Div. I with other far more storied rivalries taking the #1 spot in many of the faithful's rivalry list. But you are the next generation, rivalries are in the eye of the beholder...
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              At least the RPI-Colgate game was recent. The RPI-BU thread is back in 1985.
              That was a very good year as I recall (maybe not for wines)
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Because they haven't won anything. Ever. For the first 15 years or so of this "rivalry" it was a lot more like the rivalry between a hammer and a nail. That leads a person to not care about the "rivalry" when you're the hammer.

The fact that they are 20 minutes down the road only makes it easier for me to go see my team on the road. I could care less about whether we beat them compared to, say, Harvard. I just want two points.

Why is Clarkson a different story? Easy. Not only is Clarkson the most successful Division I program out there in terms of winning percentage, they're also (gasp!) an engineering school. So not only has Clarkson been a thorn in RPI's side since the beginning of time, the demographics are similar too (even if they're mostly just an assemblage of folks who couldn't get into the Institute - no hard feelings, eh?).

Now, that's not to say that things could change over time, but from my perspective, they still haven't changed. Union fans being fixated on RPI tends to make the games more interesting, but talking about Capital District "bragging rights" is kind of a joke. Call me when there's something hanging from your ceiling, unless you're planning to raise a banner for winning the RPI Tournament.
                Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  That was a very good year as I recall (maybe not for wines)
                  I can see it now, early in the year, we lost two games and everyone except RC and GLM would be saying that the world was ending.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm not sure if this game can match the first two for excitement, but hopefully it will. MVT is red hot right now. On the other hand I don't think Adam Presizniuk has scored a goal in nearly a month. If he can get it going, Union could really get on a role especially with Kinkaid's recent play. On the other hand, RPI did get 4 goals on KK last time. York was definitely not his sharpest the last time around but I assume he was still injured and not at his best. I would expect him to be much sharper tomorrow.

Comment

I think it could be tough getting a crowd for this one given the time of year for RPI & Union students and the fact that it's a Wednesday. Plus there aren't many Union fans anyway and RPI fans in recent years tend to be driven away by losses. I expect a blowout, either RPI plays like crap and gets blown away by Unions uncanny ability to score or RPI actually plays the way they're capable of and their overwhelming talent blows Union away.
                      Either way, the majority of the crowd is gonna leave early.
                      The color of illusion is perfect blue
                      Chase: What Matters.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
                        I think it could be tough getting a crowd for this one given the time of year for RPI & Union students and the fact that it's a Wednesday. Plus there aren't many Union fans anyway and RPI fans in recent years tend to be driven away by losses. I expect a blowout, either RPI plays like crap and gets blown away by Unions uncanny ability to score or RPI actually plays the way they're capable of and their overwhelming talent blows Union away.
                        Doesn't that happen at most RPI games?

Seriously, the weather isn't promising, even though most of the precipitation is expected in the morning & early afternoon hours. I have a feeling there might be a sparse crowd to begin with.
                        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePeople View Post
                          This game will not be a blowout. I think another 5-4ish affair is in the making. Although I suppose it's possible that RPI blows out the clog wearin' skirts 6-0 with Joey Harkenrider seeing some mop-up duty.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                            Doesn't that happen at most RPI games?
                            If I thought that a Union fan had the faintest idea of what a crowd looked like, I'd be more persuaded.

Comment

Based on ticket avaiability as of last week when I went to the box office, I think the crowd could be a decent one. RPI students are still in session aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                RPI students are still in session aren't they?
                                Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X