X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2009 - 2010 -- RIP Nathan Marsters

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Actually Doc, I thought we had a good crowd last night -- even some folks seated in the cheap seats down by the visitors locker room... I believe the announced attendance was 2,789 - but it seemed/looked/sounded more full than that.
    Perhaps one of the public safety clickers broke (the one that counts things).

Comment

Overall I agree with the game reviews already posted here. I think the after effects of the AK trip might have had something to do with RPI's sub-par 3rd period...just a hunch. i for one am hoping we are done with Alaska voyages for a while. My one criticism from last night is that the defense is still allowing forwards to gain the blue line with little or no contact along the boards. If they don't get this solved, this will come back to bite us down the road. As good as the D corps has been in open ice, they need to introduce themselves to puck handlers entering the zone along the boards. I realize it is a judgment call as to whether you can get there in time and not draw penalties, but too often I've seen forwards streak down unmolested and cut back to the net getting free shots off...
      Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Wicked - nail on the head with the D not "introducing" themselves earlier. It seemed like way to many breakouts were 3 on 2 against us (all 3 forwards too deep) and maybe thats the reason for the lack of introduction as if they got past it then a 2 or 3 on 1. We just seem to give too much time and space to gain speed and enter our end (consistent with my prior comment on us getting skated past). As I said before, I thought that they played very well and with a chip when needed, and certainly had a couple of big hits. Its a delicate balance between wanting the forwards to crash then net and 3 guys getting caught deep. I certainly dont want some type of lock played and love that the guys up front want to crash and maybe think that they can just score and get it back, but there has to be more pressure from the forwards. Overall when we played with intensity and were physical, we completely dominated. Its clear to me our forwards are very skilled. If they have a bit more of the "guided missile" mentality when the dont have the puck, this team will be scary.

Comment

Overall I agree with the game reviews already posted here. I think the after effects of the AK trip might have had something to do with RPI's sub-par 3rd period...just a hunch.
          On this note, I think Appert was spot on with his analysis. A young team like that probably thought they were going to roar through the game and stomp these guys. They were looking to make highlight plays in the third, meanwhile SHU kept being abrasive and aggravating to play against and it paid off for them. The observations on Pirri in the third are pretty accurate, but the brother showed up big so whatever.

SHU was rolling with the NZ trap pretty hard last night, note how many times RPI had to dump in to gain the zone. When SHU was down, they were also doing a lot of home run passes to a guy sneaking out to play the role of cherry picker. It's a sh-t way to play hockey (in my not-so humble opinion) and I'm glad RPI was at least aware enough defensively to not get burned by that crap.
          Last edited by GreatLakerMohawk; 10-24-2009, 01:40 PM.
          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
            On this note, I think Appert was spot on with his analysis. A young team like that probably thought they were going to roar through the game and stomp these guys.
            To be fair, they stomped a mudhole in these guys in the 2nd. A more experienced team would have scored more than 2 goals in that period.

And yeah, they might have been a little overconfident and slightly tired in the 3rd. They looked the latter at least.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              To be fair, they stomped a mudhole in these guys in the 2nd. A more experienced team would have scored more than 2 goals in that period.

And yeah, they might have been a little overconfident and slightly tired in the 3rd. They looked the latter at least.
              I won't buy the "tired" aspect, they had great jump in OT. Considering how the third went, if they were tired SHU would've continued to press them. I don't think the two minute break between regulation and overtime is enough to get it all back.

Comment

I won't buy the "tired" aspect, they had great jump in OT. Considering how the third went, if they were tired SHU would've continued to press them. I don't think the two minute break between regulation and overtime is enough to get it all back.
                Well if they weren't tired, they became very disinterested in the 3rd, because they could easily have lost the game. Often times in OT, adrenaline takes over, regardless of how tiring regulation was.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Well if they weren't tired, they became very disinterested in the 3rd, because they could easily have lost the game. Often times in OT, adrenaline takes over, regardless of how tiring regulation was.
                  Not to say they were disinterested, but they were certainly frustrated. Legit and bogus penalty calls piled up on them because they stopped attacking their stupid trap and instead chose to try and dance through it. That won't fly.

Comment

Not to say they were disinterested, but they were certainly frustrated. Legit and bogus penalty calls piled up on them because they stopped attacking their stupid trap and instead chose to try and dance through it. That won't fly.
                    I don't disagree, but there was also a fair amount of standing around waiting for the other guy to make the play.

Comment

To be fair they beat a team from the atlantic conference, playing their first real game that rang two of their posts, had one behind the goaltender that did not trickle in, missed a few open nets, had trouble passing and had six plus odd man rush opportuities,while on the their end of the ice their tender was giving up a softy or two. Some here make it sound like it was much more of a dominate effort than it was.(that is an opinion)The second period was a good as the third was bad. They were lucky to win, which in itself is a major turn in the right direction imo. Skilled teams tend to get lucky more often than non skilled teams and over the last four or five years there has been no luck. Hands down the skill level is up and that is never bad. I think they should have an easier time with AI tonight. It will be very interesting to see what SH does to Union tonight in their second game. I am optimistic once again but i always am at this point in the season. A win is always good.
                      Last edited by blocker; 10-24-2009, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blocker View Post
                        To be fair they beat a team from the atlantic conference, playing their first real game that rang two of their posts, had one behind the goaltender that did not trickle in, missed a few open nets and had six plus odd man rush opportuities,while on the other end their tender gave up a softy or two. Some here make it sound like it was much more of a dominate effort than i thinkit was.(that is an opinion)The second period was a good as the third was bad. They were lucky to win, which in itself is a major turn in the right direction imo. Skilled teams tend to get lucky more often than non skilled teams and over the last four or five there has been no luck. Hands down the skill level is up and that is never bad. They should have an easier time with AI tonight i would think and it will be very interesting watching SH play Union in their second game. I am optimistic once again but i always am at this point in the season.
                        I agree. I am very glad for the W...don't much care how it came, so long as the boys are learning as they go. I don't mean to pick - just pointing out any area for improvement.

Comment

For the RPI football fans. Today in a rainy sloppy game RPI defeated St. Lawrence 10-7. For a change the RPI defense played well when they had to but the offense just turned the ball over too often and could not score on 2 golden opportunites inside the 5. RPI is now 4-2 overall and 2-2 in the Liberty League. Still doubtful they can lead the league with 2 losses but if they win out the season could get some sort of post season bid.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            For the RPI football fans. Today in a rainy sloppy game RPI defeated St. Lawrence 10-7. For a change the RPI defense played well when they had to but the offense just turned the ball over too often and could not score on 2 golden opportunites inside the 5. RPI is now 4-2 overall and 2-2 in the Liberty League. Still doubtful they can lead the league with 2 losses but if they win out the season could get some sort of post season bid.
                            Doc, when a game is played on astro turf can it still be called "sloppy"? I suppose it can, if referring to the manner of play...

Comment

Doc, when a game is played on astro turf can it still be called "sloppy"? I suppose it can, if referring to the manner of play...
                              Well, the astroturf had rain on it. But I guess that would be slippery rather than sloppy.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Alan is definitely the real deal. You know he is when he's receiving compliments from Cornell fans. And given their goaltender tradition (I mean Ken Dryden and the other NHL players, not the tradition of flopping like a fish), that's saying something. However, don't be surprised when you see our ECAC opponents continuously trying to crash the net and expose the rebounds. I know he will definitely want to work on those rebounds and better his game, given the initiative he took while Mathias was getting most of the play time last year.

Puckman is definitely a spectacle for RPI, and to think the administration wants to dispense with Puckman..... hopefully they figure out they'd lose a LOT of their fan base if they did that. And considering they dropped the chicken, it's pretty evident they're listening.

For those who remember Puppa or who have seen highlights, I think York's style is similar to his. He is growing up right infront of us.

As far as Puckman goes, I'd tend to agree with your statement, seeing how Puckman is nowhere to be found on any of the new merchandise, on the ice surface as he once was, or on the jerseys. Used to be painted on the black doors when you enter the arena as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X