X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sacred Heart?

http://www.uscho.com/2004/08/24/quin...itted-to-ecac/

2004:

"Ultimately, Niagara, Holy Cross, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst were named finalists. Earlier in the summer, athletic directors chose Quinnipiac for recommendation, and the choice was officially approved by the league’s Policy Committee — comprised of non-athletics representatives from each school — last Friday in Albany."

Sacred Heart was one of 5 finalists for admission to the ECAC. QU was definitely the better option between SHU and QU, QU is further along the path of development and probably the best option out of all 5. Is it possible the ECAC may expand by another two schools? Navy and Rhode Island were considering upgrading to D1 10 years ago. A shame they haven't. Did not know about all that.

SHU takes 1 out of 2 at Canisius, the team is uptrending! AIC defeated UMass last night in Amherst. But that game was lop-sided in shots on goal. The SHU @ UMass-Lowell game was definitely more balanced. And a much better quality win.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
      http://www.uscho.com/2004/08/24/quin...itted-to-ecac/

2004:

"Ultimately, Niagara, Holy Cross, Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst were named finalists. Earlier in the summer, athletic directors chose Quinnipiac for recommendation, and the choice was officially approved by the league’s Policy Committee — comprised of non-athletics representatives from each school — last Friday in Albany."

Sacred Heart was one of 5 finalists for admission to the ECAC. QU was definitely the better option between SHU and QU, QU is further along the path of development and probably the best option out of all 5. Is it possible the ECAC may expand by another two schools? Navy and Rhode Island were considering upgrading to D1 10 years ago. A shame they haven't. Did not know about all that.

SHU takes 1 out of 2 at Canisius, the team is uptrending! AIC defeated UMass last night in Amherst. But that game was lop-sided in shots on goal. The SHU @ UMass-Lowell game was definitely more balanced. And a much better quality win.
      I hope the ECAC does not expand. We don't need to be watered down by crappy AHA teams. 12 is a perfect number for the ECAC.
      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
      https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Butch, what are you smoking? Sacred Heart didn't win a game until February last year and you are talking about moving up to a higher level of competition? SHU can't even compete in Atlantic Hockey, the weakest conference by far. How about shooting for a winning season first?
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          Butch, what are you smoking? Sacred Heart didn't win a game until February last year and you are talking about moving up to a higher level of competition? SHU can't even compete in Atlantic Hockey, the weakest conference by far. How about shooting for a winning season first?
          That did happen before. I know how last season went. SHU was doing decently under their their previous coach.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
            I hope the ECAC does not expand. We don't need to be watered down by crappy AHA teams. 12 is a perfect number for the ECAC.
            I just have to laugh at you calling the AHA "crappy teams". You used to be one of them. Playing in a freaking crappy roadside rink too. All QU has done is made the Frozen Four. Once. UConn actually won championships. 17. QU win any titles in women's rugby? There's QU fans who want to go to the Hockey East. Guess what? My alma mater, UConn, yes, UConn, is going directly to the Hockey East. Isn't that cool? Wasn't the game against Maine great? UMass really got their rear ends kicked.

The AHA is there to develop programs. Army and Air Force provide support for programs. There's more schools out there with potential to grow. The academic landscape has been changing and will continue to change. As said before, who the heck would have ever imagined SHU would become the second largest Catholic school in New England? That's a strong pull for future development. All I know is the SHU administration is very interested in creating a hockey arena for their programs and getting rid of that corny raccoon hat logo.

It's surprising no school in the Buffalo and Rochester areas are in a "power conference", so far. RIT is aiming high. The fact there's a growing pool of schools who aspire to be strong D1 hockey programs in the future developing through the AHA, says more changes will happen.

Comment

I just have to laugh at you calling the AHA "crappy teams". You used to be one of them. Playing in a freaking crappy roadside rink too. All QU has done is made the Frozen Four. Once. UConn actually won championships. 17. QU win any titles in women's rugby? There's QU fans who want to go to the Hockey East. Guess what? My alma mater, UConn, yes, UConn, is going directly to the Hockey East. Isn't that cool? Wasn't the game against Maine great? UMass really got their rear ends kicked.
              I'm sure you're trying to make a pint here but I'll be ****ed if I can figure out what it is. Perhaps "crappy teams" wasn't the right moniker, but let's be honest... there's a definite talent disparity mainly due lack of scholarships. Of course, we all know that Atlantic Hockey teams aren't doormats either (can anyone say AIC? Or Canisius?). But let's be honest, the league as a whole struggles to keep up with the others on a national stage.

The AHA is there to develop programs.
              Ummm... no. Nobody playing at the D-I level is "developing" anything. They're all playing for the same prize. The different leagues all have different attributes. I think it's safe to say AHA schools are more about academics than anything else.

There's more schools out there with potential to grow. The academic landscape has been changing and will continue to change. As said before, who the heck would have ever imagined SHU would become the second largest Catholic school in New England? That's a strong pull for future development.
              Academic or athletic development? And what exactly does being the largest Catholic school in New England afford them?

All I know is the SHU administration is very interested in creating a hockey arena for their programs and getting rid of that corny raccoon hat logo.
              If they're really serious about the hockey program, actions speak louder than words. I find it hard to phathom a school like SHU committing multi-millions of dollars for hockey alone.

It's surprising no school in the Buffalo and Rochester areas are in a "power conference", so far. RIT is aiming high. The fact there's a growing pool of schools who aspire to be strong D1 hockey programs in the future developing through the AHA, says more changes will happen.
              I still can't get my mind around your assertion that the AHA schools are "developing". What are they developing? Do you really think they're (collectively) aspiring to become better D-I programs so they can move to "better" leagues?

While I agree that it would be nice to see schools like SHU do better in the D-I hockey world, the cruel reality is that it takes a boatload of money to "upgrade" with very little in return other than name recognition.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
              Northeast Regional:
              West Regional: 2015, 2021
              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

The talent disparity is not as bad as football. AHA schools beat HE schools more often than Sun Belt beat SEC schools in football.

Coming from an experience where I used to floor with UConn hockey players and we were D3, watched our football and hockey programs develop as our basketball pounded away in the Big East. The Big East's football conference is now all a memory. UConn was given a great start at the FBS level based on conference affiliation. Penn State hockey will take off immediately because of their conference affiliation and already is drawing crowds that put many of us in New England and New York to shame.

I am speaking of trends. The Catholic Church has a solid reputation of creating good schools (except when it comes to Theology) when it snaps it's finger. That's when happened with Sacred Heart. The Catholic Church snapped it's fingers and SHU came into being. As stated, SHU is getting powerful people to donate to developing the school and campus. Fairfield County can use a college hockey program. It is a perfect setting for another hockey program in this state.

AHA schools are generally playing, hoping to get taken up by stronger conferences. The AHA and such conferences are where most new D1 programs are born or die. QU and UConn graduated. Let's support SHU.

Didn't QU change conference affiliation in other sports? The NEC to the MAAC? That's developing. But considering the ECAC even considered SHU 10 years ago, there's hope. Gotta right the ship. SHU hockey will advertise itself here with a rink they can also use to host HS games.
                Last edited by Butch; 01-15-2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post

Ummm... no. Nobody playing at the D-I level is "developing" anything. They're all playing for the same prize. The different leagues all have different attributes. I think it's safe to say AHA schools are more about academics than anything else.

Examples of the fruition of development:
                  Quinnipiac
                  UConn

The league serves the purpose of providing an affordable entry point into the sport, where teams have the ability (if they so choose) to develop into a higher profile program.

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                  I think it's safe to say AHA schools are more about academics than anything else.
                  There is no academic consistency in the league. You have a few programs that are some of the most academically prestigious institutions in the country, alongside several "Heartbeat U." schools.
                  Last edited by schiegs; 01-15-2014, 06:35 PM.
                  Bentley University Hockey
                  On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

I love Sacred Heart University and, in particular, Sacred Heart Hockey. So, Butch, while I don't agree with all of your points, as some are factually incorrect, I do admire your passion and support for the program. SHU certainly has it's challenges, but I do believe it has great potential.

Comment

Let's be real here. UConn was not clamoring for development or advancement in hockey. They got a golden ticket and jumped at the opportunity.

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                      Examples of the fruition of development:
                      Quinnipiac
                      UConn

The league serves the purpose of providing an affordable entry point into the sport, where teams have the ability (if they so choose) to develop into a higher profile program.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Ryan Hardy, correct me on whatever is factually incorrect. I know you are not the only one who loves SHU hockey. Make it happen.

Spoke to more close to the SHU program, seems SHU is here to stay. They know they need a rink and want to succeed. With Bentley getting a new rink, I also heard Oswego State is considering going D1. Need to keep developing the Atlantic Hockey conference for now.

Great win for SHU on Friday night against Niagra. Got beat too easily in the third yesterday.

Comment

Oswego State is considering going D1.
                          I believe they would have to move their entire sports to D II. The NCAA prohibits any more teams from playing DI as a DIII school. RIT beat the deadline with the men, and got the women up on Title IX.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                          X