Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sacred Heart?

Originally posted by Butch View Post
    I didn't mean such a development like that. The school's Catholic affiliation will help the school take care of itself. I just meant developing the hockey program. It is the second largest Catholic school in New England now as stated before, which was a surprise to me. If they can buy the adjacent golf course, that would make expansion super easy. I only was speaking of Pecknold from a hockey program point of view. I am well aware QU has undergone a huge academic expansion.

Good news, Mr Valentine does appear to be open ears about making SHU a hockey school. Let's go to games! The more people go to games, the more others follow. There are people there who are cheering as is. Can't go wrong with another D1 college hockey program. It's really up to us. More college hockey games can't hurt, right?

SHU plays in Milford because ND-Fairfield plays there.
    We don't dare mix the Catholics and Jesuits I am not sure which arm of the Church is in control of SHU, but if it is the Archdiocese of Hartford, you can forget about spending money on anything. They are downsizing, consolidating parishes and closing schools all over the state. The initiative would have to come from alumni and donors. Maybe UCONN will let you guys have the shell of Frietas for a start. A 2500 seat butler building with decent locker rooms and training facilities would be all that is needed to really upgrade.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      Most credit Quinnipiac President Lahey for having the plan for the expansion.

My 23 year old daughter paid for her own Predators ticket last night, odd hockey town, but she loves it there. Sooo inexpensive

Found an interesting article about area hockey and QU's expansion, makes good reading and gives you an idea about how much SHU would have to put into being another QU

http://deadspin.com/how-quinnipiac-t...ey-h-472545033
      I've always given Kudos to Lahey and QU. I admire risk takers, as long as we acknowledge this is a risk. A half-billion dollar debt load for a school that size? They better hope rates don't increase.
      Last edited by schiegs; 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

We don't dare mix the Catholics and Jesuits I am not sure which arm of the Church is in control of SHU, but if it is the Archdiocese of Hartford, you can forget about spending money on anything. They are downsizing, consolidating parishes and closing schools all over the state. The initiative would have to come from alumni and donors. Maybe UCONN will let you guys have the shell of Frietas for a start. A 2500 seat butler building with decent locker rooms and training facilities would be all that is needed to really upgrade.
        I AM a UConn alum. But our program is not nearby. I attend other college hockey games in the state. Primarily Yale and QU. (I think Cavanaugh will do very well at UConn. Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.) I love the tradition and rink of Yale.

I think SHU was started with the permission of the Archdiochese of Bridgeport; from what I see, SHU is getting big-time donors, such as Linda McMahon and Jack Welch.

Comment

I had the "forture" of getting to see RIT play at SHU. Boy was that rink a dump. Myself and my group of 5 friends from RIT were the loudest and most engaged people there. It just completes the picture of why they're such a sad program.
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Good news for CT and SHU hockey, the administration of the athletic department does realize the value of hockey and has the desire to create a solid program. When it comes to the facilities, in their words, "NO question...a state of the art arena would certainly redefine our men's and women's hockey programs." There you go, SHU has the desire to succeed in hockey and be a hockey school. They do compete at the D-1AA level in football already.

Someone pass it on to the Atlantic Hockey office to remove the 12 scholarship per team limit. That holds programs back.

Comment

Someone pass it on to the Atlantic Hockey office to remove the 12 scholarship per team limit. That holds programs back.
              Also keeps programs from folding up altogether, and thus shrinking the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                Also keeps programs from folding up altogether, and thus shrinking the sport.
                I do see what you are saying. SHU is one of the schools that can handle 18. Was talking to the father of a Niagra player at the QU-Union game tonight and he thought the AH should allow 18.

Comment

Good news for CT and SHU hockey, the administration of the athletic department does realize the value of hockey and has the desire to create a solid program. When it comes to the facilities, in their words, "NO question...a state of the art arena would certainly redefine our men's and women's hockey programs." There you go, SHU has the desire to succeed in hockey and be a hockey school. They do compete at the D-1AA level in football already.

Sacred Heart can't afford a new arena because they don't have to give out more scholarships? Does not compute.
                  Originally posted by SJHovey
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  Originally posted by Brenthoven
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Do you really think that SHU could afford to purchase Fairchild-Wheeler golf course at Fairfield County per acre prices? Also, SHU uses the course as a promotion for alumni and as a home course for the golf team. Not sure if the city of Bridgeport would give up one of the only things that makes the City "Un-Urban"
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

I do see what you are saying. SHU is one of the schools that can handle 18. Was talking to the father of a Niagra player at the QU-Union game tonight and he thought the AH should allow 18.
                      Always sounds like a great idea. But, we can all name a half dozen programs that have folded in the last several years because they couldn't maintain the cost of staying competitive. At a time when college hockey is (factually) shrinking, I think we need ONE conference where teams can compete with a shot at something without having to take out a mortgage the size of Peru to do it. Then when they want to offer more resources, they can step up and do it when they're ready (i.e., QU, UConn, etc.).

Just one stick-in-the-mud's opinion.

Comment

Do you really think that SHU could afford to purchase Fairchild-Wheeler golf course at Fairfield County per acre prices? Also, SHU uses the course as a promotion for alumni and as a home course for the golf team. Not sure if the city of Bridgeport would give up one of the only things that makes the City "Un-Urban"
                        I am not worried about the school's expansion. That is something that would take care of itself. SHU to have a larger student population than Fairfield University and SHU takes FU's place in hockey and football? That is something I never thought I'd see. But a school like SHU should focus on hockey and let the other sports follow. That helped at Quinnipiac. It appears the administration agrees. As said, I went to Fairfield Prep. We have the record for state championships in hockey. We were a football school and still are. I've had a solid exposure to high school hockey culture. Plus, SHU's rink can be used for high school hockey games, etc. This is a golden opportunity for SHU.
                        Last edited by Butch; 01-11-2014, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                          Always sounds like a great idea. But, we can all name a half dozen programs that have folded in the last several years because they couldn't maintain the cost of staying competitive. At a time when college hockey is (factually) shrinking, I think we need ONE conference where teams can compete with a shot at something without having to take out a mortgage the size of Peru to do it. Then when they want to offer more resources, they can step up and do it when they're ready (i.e., QU, UConn, etc.).

Just one stick-in-the-mud's opinion.
                          I totally understand. We're going to definitely undergo more changes as the economy continues to change. I hope it does not affect collegiate sports too much.

Comment

I think Sacred Heart has essentially been left behind with the expansion of the AHA. The balance of power in the AHA has shifted to the west, where before it was in the east or even at best. How far they have fallen is shocking though. I think no matter what, it's going to take some time to get back to being close to where they were.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              I think Sacred Heart has essentially been left behind with the expansion of the AHA. The balance of power in the AHA has shifted to the west, where before it was in the east or even at best. How far they have fallen is shocking though. I think no matter what, it's going to take some time to get back to being close to where they were.
                              The very first step is a new state of the art arena. Expansion doesn't necessarily have to hurt. UConn is the only northeast school in the AAC apart from Temple. But facilities go a very long way. An arena can be widely used here, doesn't have to be just SHU games.

Comment

The AHA is not a bad conference. It has the support of the Army and the Air Force. But a solid hockey program is a GREAT way to advance their school and I think they realize that.
                                ?? With half of the league in the bottom 7 in PWR & RPI, I think it is pretty safeto say that the AHA is, in fact, a bad conference.
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X