Minnesota @ Penn State: 1/12 & 1/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Penn State: 1/12 & 1/13

Would anyone have an issue if Shibrowski got the start tonight? I think this would be a good spot to get him in. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BigM3810 View Post
      Would anyone have an issue if Shibrowski got the start tonight? I think this would be a good spot to get him in. Thoughts?
      I would. Well, let me rephrase...if it were my call, I'd start Wilcox. These are conference points that need to be cashed in on. You put your best team on the ice. I think MN could and should win if Shibrowski played, but I don't see the risk-reward being anything near meriting that call.

Over on GPL someone posted the lines as the same as last night with Guertler in for Michaelson (Wilcox in goal).

Comment

Well, play two periods, take one off, win three points.

Penn State deserved a better fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
          Well, play two periods, take one off, win three points.

Penn State deserved a better fate.
          Gophers seemed to only really care for 1.5 periods of this series, and took 6 points. I hope karma is a load of horse puckey.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
            ...Penn State deserved a better fate.
            Considering everything over the last several years, I am not sure I could find circumstances to justify that conclusion.
            "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Tonight's win reminded me of many Wisconsin victory's in the Eaves era... Get outplayed for a majority of the game; have a goalie that is playing really well; capitalize on golden opportunities when they present themselves; skate away with a victory.

On the bright side, I was able to watch the whole game on the BTN from my hotel room in Columbus, OH, so at least I have that going for me...

Comment

SWEEP!!! Nice road W for the Gophers tonight, but an unusual game in the stats dept. Credit Penn St. who skated hard, went to the net often and outshot the Gophers in every period tonight for a total of 38 SOG (Gophers, 25), the lowest SOG game total all season for the Gophs and only the 3rd time they've been outshot this season. Penn St. was sharp on faceoffs as well and by the second period had won 30, losing only 15 (Boyd got murdered on FOs losing 13/20).

Gophers got off to a great start on a PPG by Boyd just 2:25 into the 1st. Gophers were 1/5 tonight (20%...about average) on the PP and now have a PPG in each of their last 6 games. The Gophers were outshot in the 3rd 15-6 as the Penn St. Nittany Lions kept clawing back scoring two Gs in the final frame. But the Gophers found a way to get the puck by McAdam tonight as half of their 3rd period SOG tickled the twine for the Gophers (Gs by Warning and Condon) with Justin Kloos bagging the ENG to lock up another Gopher sweep to improve to 6-1-1 on the road.

Nice to see Warning, who hasn't scored a goal since Oct., bang in 2 Gs; and Nate Condon, who has also been slumping lately, get his 3rd G this season. Lucia: "I was glad to see Condon and Warning get on the scoreboard tonight, we need them to contribute every weekend if we're going to go anywhere in the postseason".

A bit of a program trivia and milestone for the Gophers tonight as their overall record improved to 15-2-3, which is the third best record at this point in the season in Minnesota Golden Gopher program history! They're now riding an 8 game unbeaten streak, and have lost only once in their last 13 games. Next up: Hope for cold weather and good ice...OUTDOOR HOCKEY!! The Hockey City Classic, Gophers vs. THE Ohio State University, Friday, January 17, 08:00 PM, TCF Bank Stadium. Go Gophers! Rah!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  third best record at this point in the season in Minnesota Golden Gopher program history!
                  2006-07 and 83-84?

And in 39-40 they went 18-0 and the season was over.
                  Last edited by Bonin21; 01-13-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    2006-07 and 83-84?

And in 39-40 they went 18-0 and the season was over.
                    NCAA

1983-84: 17-2-1
                    2006-07: 16-1-3 (2006-07 had the longest overall unbeaten streak in Gopher history: 22; 10/13/2006–1/12/2007)
                    2013-14: 15-2-3

The 1939-40 season was pre-NCAA D1 hockey which wasn't founded until 1948. Actually they were 16-0 in the regular season. Their 18-0 record includes their 2 playoff wins for the Amateur Athletic Union National Ice Hockey Championship beating Amesbury 9-4 and Brockhall 9-1 in Lake Placid for the AAU championship.

Oddly enough, the 2006-07 roster had nearly the same class composition as this season:

Class comparison 2006-07/2013-14:

Freshmen - 9/8
                    Sophomores - 5/6
                    Juniors - 6/6
                    Seniors - 3/5

That was the year Blake Wheeler scored his epic OT diving goal in a nailbiter at the X for the F5 championship win over the Whioux. Then we lost to the Whioux in the NCAA regionals.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota @ Penn State: 1/12 & 1/13

The record is awesome. These records haven't resulted in the big trophy though.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Re: Minnesota @ Penn State: 1/12 & 1/13

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        The record is awesome. These records haven't resulted in the big trophy though.
                        True, of which Mike Guentzel will remember as he played on the 1983-84 team. As did Tom Parenteau, Jake's dad and Mike Brodzinski's dad, Mike. Hopefully, this season will be different.

Comment

Working...
                        X