Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
    Very strange thing happened tonight. Somewhere between last night and tonight (it is 9 PM CST as I write this), CHN and USCHO PWR rankings have coalesced. Unfortunately, I was not paying sufficient enough attention to notice whose changed. However, as I type, I also notice it is the identical list to JimDahl on SiouxSports.
    It appears that USCHO changed -- all 3 now seem to match the "CHN formula", weighting all three components of RPI (instead of just win%, as USCHO had been until tonight). Assuming I'm interpreting their table correctly, it would have been nice if USCHO had announced that they changed, but it wouldn't be surprising they did it silently.

Given that most people probably don't compare multiple sites or follow this stuff closely enough to realize there was any controversy, it's good for everyone that they converged.
    Last edited by JimDahl; 02-15-2014, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
      It appears that USCHO changed -- all 3 now seem to match the "CHN formula", weighting all three components of RPI (instead of just win%, as USCHO had been until tonight). Assuming I'm interpreting their table correctly, it would have been nice if USCHO had announced that they changed, but it wouldn't be surprising they did it silently.

Given that most people probably don't compare multiple sites or follow this stuff closely enough to realize there was any controversy, it's good for everyone that they converged.
      Thanks for this note. This is great news. Given how close things are this year, it will be great we are all reading from the same page.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 02-16-2014, 04:57 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
        1-5 get a bye.

Seeds 6-8 host seeds 9-11 respectively in a one game playoff.

Then the regular best of three series with 1-4 getting home ice.
        Are teams reseeded after that new first round?

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
        Very strange thing happened tonight. Somewhere between last night and tonight (it is 9 PM CST as I write this), CHN and USCHO PWR rankings have coalesced. Unfortunately, I was not paying sufficient enough attention to notice whose changed. However, as I type, I also notice it is the identical list to JimDahl on SiouxSports.

Addition after all games posted on CHN except the Alaska game:

#1s - BC, Minny, Union, SCSU
        #2s - Ferris, QU, Wisco, Lowell
        #3s - N'eastern, Mich, Maine, NoDak
        #4s - Cornell, NoDame, Vermont, AHA (UMD just off the bubble)

Worcester: BC v AHA, Lowell V NoDak
        St Paul: Minny v Cornell, Wisco v No"Eastern
        Bridgeport: Union v Vermont, QU v Maine
        Cincinnati: SCSU v NoDame, Ferris v Michigan

Explanation:
        For the #4 seeds, first put AHA v BC. Then, NoDame to Cincinnati. Then, Vermont has to play Union since Cornell can't.
        The #2 seeds come out perfect for attendance as bracketed. For the #3s, first put Michigan in Cincinnati for attendance. Then, Lowell has to face NoDak (not Maine or Northeastern). Then, QU is higher seeded than Wisco, so they should play Maine. Northeastern to St Paul to face Wisconsin.
        That looks like what I worked out last night. Attendance in Cincinnati is pretty much a lost cause, but that's about as good as it will get. Maybe if Ohio State moves into the field.

People are paying attention. I've been fielding more questions than usual on twitter about the pairwise and the differences between sites. I just wish more TV media understood pairwise if they're going to try to talk about them on a broadcast (for starters, it's pairwise, not power ranking).

Comment

Hopefully it is the correct formula now that all are using it. Perhaps the change was made because someone from the committee, who chose to remain anonymous, told the USCHO that the "CHN formula" is what will be applied.
          "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

For a moment last night UMD was 11th in the USCHO PWR and 16th in the CHN PWR. Sounds like the discrepency has been fixed.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Another update for this week. Still have the Beanpot games to get through, but I don't expect that to change much:

Total Apps Current Programs Apps / Program Apps/Program / Year Conf. Apps / Year 2014 Proj. Apps 2014 Proj. Apps/Program
              B1G 30 6 5.00 0.50 3 3 0.50
              NCHC 43 8 5.38 0.54 4.3 3 .38
              WCHA 10 10 1.00 0.10 1 1 0.10
              HE 41 11 3.73 0.37 4.1 5 0.45
              ECAC 23 12 1.92 0.19 2.3 3 .25
              AHA 13 12 1.08 0.11 1.3 1 0.08
              The great normalization continues, although naturally everyone in double digits is still in a precarious situation.
              Another update (since it's an issue: I'm using the USCHO PWR calcs). UMD is the last team out, several HE teams made a jump this week.

Total Apps Current Programs Apps / Program Apps/Program / Year Conf. Apps / Year 2014 Proj. Apps 2014 Proj. Apps/Program
              B1G 30 6 5.00 0.50 3 3 0.50
              NCHC 43 8 5.38 0.54 4.3 2 .25
              WCHA 10 10 1.00 0.10 1 1 0.10
              HE 41 11 3.73 0.37 4.1 6 0.55
              ECAC 23 12 1.92 0.19 2.3 3 .25
              AHA 13 12 1.08 0.11 1.3 1 0.08
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                For a moment last night UMD was 11th in the USCHO PWR and 16th in the CHN PWR. Sounds like the discrepency has been fixed.
                That usually happens when the sites are busy updating their results. Once all the updates are done, things seem to line up as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                  That usually happens when the sites are busy updating their results. Once all the updates are done, things seem to line up as expected.
                  Stupid question. UMD was 0-2 against SCSU before this weekend. After losing Friday they went up a spot in the PWR and after losing Saturday they dropped 3 or 4 spots. Is there a different between 0-2, 0-3 and 0-4 in the PWR or is what happened to UMD reflective of other comparisons flipping?
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I can't read the USCHO color grid properly apparently. What causes BC to win the comparison with MN? It looks like they are tied in comparison points.
                    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      I can't read the USCHO color grid properly apparently. What causes BC to win the comparison with MN? It looks like they are tied in comparison points.
                      RPI is the tiebreaker.
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        RPI is the tiebreaker.
                        But both BC and Minnesota defeated RPI.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          But both BC and Minnesota defeated RPI.
                          Exactly.
                          BC 7, RPI 2
                          Minnesota 6, RPI 2

BC wins goal differential tie breaker.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

nyuk nyuk nyuk
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Oh that is well done.
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Shameless self promotion:
                                Update on each team's tournament chances

So you don't actually have to click:
                                tl;dr - #8 Mass.-Lowell and above seem pretty safe, through somewhere around #19 Minnesota State control their own destinies, down to about #27 Alaska Anchorage can still mathematically finish the regular season in position for an at-large bid.

Comment

Working...
                                X