The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Copied from GPL and obviously doesn't incorporate context, but found it interesting otherwise:

The irony is, that the changes made in the pairwise pretty much make the 'pairwise' obsolete. The pairwise now is pretty much just the RPI, since there is no more TUC comparison. It takes two other comparisons to override the RPI. Without the TUC, now there are only two other comparisons, common opponent and head-to-head. So if two teams don't play each other, the lower RPI team can't overtake the higher RPI team, even if they have a better record against common opponents. Looking at the USCHO pairwise, the pairwise order is exactly the RPI order for 1-24. Denver loses a couple comparisons due to some HTH losses combined with COp in one case. The point is, all of the nice interconference games we are finally getting are becoming less meaningful now. Of course, they all count for RPI.

Comment

It seems to me that the first tiebreaker ought to be H2H, if applicable. Isn't that the basic idea of the pairwise, each team considered individually against every other team? Moreover, I'm annoyed that they de-emphasized H2H (don't know quite when - this year?). Used to be if I beat you 3-0 during the season I received 3 comparison points rather than the measly one I would get now. If the point is each pair of teams compared in a vacuum, shouldn't a season sweep be strongly rewarded? With the schedule scrambling that occurred in HE this year, some teams could meet six or seven times. Wouldn't 6-0 or 5-2 in favor of one team be more indicative than the combination of RPI and common opponents for that particular pair?

How come the guys in charge of this stuff aren't as bright as us board denizens?
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Why not the Hudson River? Then I could ignore Union.
        All of you have to do to ignore Union is look down in the standings from where RPI is. You'll never see them.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          Used to be if I beat you 3-0 during the season I received 3 comparison points rather than the measly one I would get now.
          Where did you see that? As far as I can tell that's still the case...
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Copied from GPL and obviously doesn't incorporate context, but found it interesting otherwise:
            Even if not entirely the case, the removal of one of the points does make the RPI more relevant, afterall, you have to overcome the RPI as its own "point" and then as the tie-break. Making that removal makes that harder.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              Where did you see that? As far as I can tell that's still the case...
              I glanced too quickly at the table. Never-mind

Comment

Today's pairwise:

1 Minnesota
                2 Boston College
                3 Ferris State
                4 Quinnipiac
                5 St. Cloud State
                6 Union
                7 Northeastern
                8 Providence
                9 Wisconsin
                10 Mass.-Lowell
                11 Cornell
                12 Yale
                13 New Hampshire
                14 Clarkson
                15 Michigan
                ---
                16 Notre Dame
                17 Vermont
                18 Maine
                19 North Dakota
                20 Minnesota-Duluth
                21 Colgate
                22 Bowling Green
                23 Minnesota State
                24 Brown
                25 Western Michigan
                26 Denver
                27 Miami
                28 Ohio State
                29 Alaska-Anchorage
                30 St. Lawrence
                31 Lake Superior
                32 Air Force
                33 Northern Michigan
                34 Rensselaer
                35 Mercyhurst
                36 Bemidji State
                37 Alaska-Fairbanks
                38 Nebraska-Omaha
                39 Massachusetts
                40 Harvard
                41 Bentley
                42 Michigan Tech
                43 Michigan State
                44 Merrimack
                45 Boston University
                46 Canisius
                47 Connecticut
                48 Dartmouth
                49 RIT
                50 Princeton
                51 Penn State
                52 Colorado College
                53 Niagara
                54 Robert Morris
                55 American Int'l
                56 Holy Cross
                57 Alabama-Huntsville
                58 Sacred Heart
                59 Army

Quick bracketology:

Code:
                Bridgeport (Yale)	Worcester (Holy Cross)	Cincinnati (Miami)	St Paul (Minnesota)
                Quinnipiac		Boston College		Ferris State		Minnesota
                St Cloud		Northeastern		Union			Providence
                Yale			Cornell			Lowell			Wisconsin
                New Hampshire		Clarkson		Michigan		Air Force
                Almost perfect brackets. Switch up Cornell and Lowell to avoid intraconference matchups and swap Michigan and Clarkson for attendance.

Will have a longer update next weekend.

Comment

I know Priceless will be back on Sunday with lots of information, but I thought today I would do a quick analysis of how much can change in a few games (note Minnesota has played 3 games since Priceless' last post now).

Sat AM:
                  #1's: Minnesota, BC, QU, Ferris No change
                  #2's: St Cloud, Union, N'eastern, Providence No change, but Providence lost some cushion with last night's results
                  #3's: Wisconsin, Lowell, Cornell, Clarkson Here is where things really tighten up. Yale went from being a #3 to out of the field.
                  #4's: Notre Dame, Michigan, Maine, Atlantic Champ More changes. New Hampshire out, Maine in.

No need for a bracketology, but some comments: Since the PWR is almost (not entirely) the same as RPI now, just look at RPI numbers to see how your team might be doing.
                  Minnesota - Looks secure for a #1, because they have .0300 or so on 5th place SCSU.
                  BC, QU - Strong situation for #1s
                  Ferris, St Cloud, Union, N'eastern - a good lead on #13, so would appear to safe to at least a #3 seed, maybe higher
                  From Providence at #8 to Vermont at #21 is the same difference in RPI as from Minnesota to St Cloud. Obviously, this is very tight, and a weekend has the possibility of making a big difference.

Comment

How are you factoring the bonus points for wins over OOC Top 20 teams?
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      How are you factoring the bonus points for wins over OOC Top 20 teams?
                      There is an earlier thread here which likely could be found be querying "whelan" in which we all were trying to figure that out.

Basically, Vs #1 = +.005; #2, +.00475; #3 +.0045, etc unto #20. I believe these are home/road scaled 0.8/1.2. Use ties as half of the bonus (so a tie with the Gophers on neutral ice = +.0025). And, you go by current rankings RIGHT NOW, not when the game was played. Add those all up, divide by the number of games played (not home/road scaled). And, add that number to the Raw RPI.

Examples here: http://pwr.reillyhamilton.com/pwr.php listed after the order of teams. Hamilton uses a 100.00 scale rather than a 1.000 scale, so be aware of the difference when looking at QWB. But, I think you can follow it easy enough.

I see that he has a slightly different result for Minnesota than the others. My current guess is that it is because there would be some question whether the TCF Bank game last night was Home or Neutral.

And, I believe the Bonus applies all all Top 20 games, but just OOC
                      Last edited by Numbers; 01-18-2014, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                        Add those all up, divide by the number of games played...
                        I thought each win was cumulative? Most of the top teams have a bonus that is >0.005...

Comment

I thought each win was cumulative? Most of the top teams have a bonus that is >0.005...
                          Not sure what you mean by cumulative. Each game against a top 20 opponent counts. Add up all the bonus points. That's s big number. For Minnesota, 0.1450. Turn, that number is scaled by the number of games played. For Minnesota,21.

Hope this helps.

Comment

So, does this become an iterative process? As you add these bonus points, don't some of the positions change?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                              Not sure what you mean by cumulative. Each game against a top 20 opponent counts. Add up all the bonus points. That's s big number. For Minnesota, 0.1450. Turn, that number is scaled by the number of games played. For Minnesota,21.

Hope this helps.
                              I must be totally missing something. If the biggest bonus you can get for a win is 0.005, and then add them all up and divide them by the number of games you have, the highest your average can be is 0.005. But we have BC, for example, sitting at 0.009?

Comment

I must be totally missing something. If the biggest bonus you can get for a win is 0.005, and then add them all up and divide them by the number of games you have, the highest your average can be is 0.005. But we have BC, for example, sitting at 0.009?
                                Sorry. Try it 0.05 and so on... Look at Reilly Hamilton site. It shoes all the details for each team.

Comment

Working...
                                X