The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
    Can you tell me your reasoning for why St. Cloud may or may not be in St. Paul? I'd love to attend if they get placed there.
    In my scenario (which is already shot) St Cloud is #10 and paired with #7 Lowell in the #2 bracket. The easiest way for the Huskies to be in St Paul would be to finish #9 overall and be placed vs #8 in the #1 bracket.

A serpentine bracket will be
    1-8-9-16
    2-7-10-15
    3-6-11-14
    4-5-12-13

We know that the 1 seed will be in St Paul, the 2 seed in Worcester, the 3 seed in Bridgeport and the 4 seed in Cincinnati. Root accordingly.
    Last edited by Priceless; 03-20-2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Re: The 2014 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread`

Jim Dahl could help us here a little, but it seems to me like this: Michigan still survives if any one of five things happens, but not 2 of them (there are some exceptions to this, but it's a general guide).
      Cornell winning at least one game
      Colgate winning at least one game
      New Hampshire winning the HEA title
      North Dakota not winning the NCHC title and still winning one game
      Mankato winning one game, and Anchorage winning the WCHA (BG defeating Mankato drops Mankato below Michigan)
      Last edited by Numbers; 03-20-2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

With Michigan's loss to Penn State, Notre Dame now moves up in the Pairwise for a tie for 6th with Quinnipiac and Lowell.
        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
        https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          This looks fantastic !!!!! How is it that you can come with sensible brackets, following the rules, and USCHO can only come up with crap. These are nicely balanced regions, Nice Job !!!
          How does QU get stuck in Cincinnati with a 2 seed
          Quinnipiac University '15
          ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
          ECAC Championship: 2016
          NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
          NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
          Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by BigAl View Post
            Finish #5

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
              They should send Providence west first
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

As for the final bracketology, it seems to me that the committee may proceed thus:

Minnesota will make St Paul a success (never mind how empty it was today).
                BC in Worcester will ensure crowds.
                Union going to Bridgeport helps there a lot.
                So, all we have to worry about for attendance is Cincinnati, and that is a big worry.

Therefore, I would think it likely that the committee follows serpentine, unless there is a 2 or 3 seed swap that would greatly help Cincinnati. Also, it is possible that they would swap 13 overall for 14 to make the 1/4 game in Cincinnati a better draw if Lowell, or Wisconsin gets the #4 overall.

The questions would seem to be:
                If Notre Dame is #8overall, it is a big swap to trade 5 for 8 to get NoDame in Cincinnati. I think they would worry less if Notre Dame were 9th. If ND is 9th, it seems a logical swap to put them there, if possible.
                How much draw can you expect from Michigan or Western Michigan or Ferris?
                Can Miami continue their run and get a place in the tourney, where they would automatically play at Cincinnati?

If Quinn ends up 5th, and Providence 7th, I think the committee would send Quinnipiac to Cincinnati because sending the 7 creates the possibility of regional finals with 2v5 and 4v7, and those are imbalanced, when there is no attendance advantage.

Comment

PC fans would travel to Bridgeport so let's do it up!
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                    As for the final bracketology, it seems to me that the committee may proceed thus:
                    If Quinn ends up 5th, and Providence 7th, I think the committee would send Quinnipiac to Cincinnati because sending the 7 creates the possibility of regional finals with 2v5 and 4v7, and those are imbalanced, when there is no attendance advantage.
                    This makes a lot of sense. It would be great for Providence to be in Bridgeport, especially given the history of the coaching staffs.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Updated Bracketology following the conclusion of games on March 20.
                      http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...college-union-
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Fun observation: No team controls its own destiny for the final #1 seed. Ferris State would seem to, and if all higher seeds win they do, but if Bowling Green upsets Mankato (and Wisconsin upsets Minnesota) the Badgers get the spot. However if Ohio State upsets Minnesota first then the advantage switches back to Ferris. If both the Badgers and Bulldogs stumble, Quinnipiac is up next. If all three fall then Lowell has a chance by winning Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Minnesota will make St Paul a success (never mind how empty it was today).
                          BC in Worcester will ensure crowds.
                          Union going to Bridgeport helps there a lot.
                          So, all we have to worry about for attendance is Cincinnati, and that is a big worry.

Therefore, I would think it likely that the committee follows serpentine, unless there is a 2 or 3 seed swap that would greatly help Cincinnati. Also, it is possible that they would swap 13 overall for 14 to make the 1/4 game in Cincinnati a better draw if Lowell, or Wisconsin gets the #4 overall.

The questions would seem to be:
                          If Notre Dame is #8overall, it is a big swap to trade 5 for 8 to get NoDame in Cincinnati. I think they would worry less if Notre Dame were 9th. If ND is 9th, it seems a logical swap to put them there, if possible.
                          How much draw can you expect from Michigan or Western Michigan or Ferris?
                          Can Miami continue their run and get a place in the tourney, where they would automatically play at Cincinnati?

I don't know how much the committee will worry about helping Cincinnati. Notre Dame and Miami did not exactly pack Toledo last season and both are just a couple of hours away. My guess is they may just cross their fingers and hope it works out that the seeds put Notre Dame there and that Miami (host school) pulls out a couple more upsets. If they do rearrgange the seeds to create atmoshphere and attendance one more time and it doesn't work I think that will signal the end of neutral site regionals for this tournament. My guess is short of having Miami, UM and Notre Dame all in Cincinnati, it will have trouble drawing flies, even with the cheapest regional tickets in years. Look for another friends and family crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                            Is it possible, at all, that today's B1G games would eliminate all 80 situations in which St. Cloud would be left out?
                            Not much to say other than, I was wrong. Looks like SCSU is now a lock. While neither of yesterday's games were the pieces that really moved SCSU's PWR or the cutline, they were nonetheless apparently necessary.

Comment

This is the part where the teams in front of Michigan all lose, thus, opening the final spot up. And Michigan goes Yale-style and gloriously wins the whole thing as a 4 seed and 15 overall.

Then they hoist Red on their shoulders and carry him off the ice to send him riding off into the sunset into retirement the right way.

Ugh.
                              ---
                              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                              19 Conference Championships
                              10 Conference Tournament Championships
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JimDahl View Post
                                Not much to say other than, I was wrong. Looks like SCSU is now a lock. While neither of yesterday's games were the pieces that really moved SCSU's PWR or the cutline, they were nonetheless apparently necessary.
                                The one scenario I saw drawn up had SCSU tied for 11th PWR with Michigan but losing the RPI tiebreaker. Obviously, that can't happen now. So even though the PWR scenarios and cutline scenarios weren't affected, WHOM was affected seemed to make difference.

Now I just need them to land in the #8 or #9 spot for a shot at St. Paul!
                                scsuhockey.com
                                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Working...
                                X