Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tUMD @ UNO - Please File the Appropriate Paperwork

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Leaving tomorrow and I'm very stoked. First new rink in just over two years.
    I already weighed in in the UNO thread for you about the "what-to-do's" for you here in Omaha. I saw your post in Mavpuck, too, about it. Caveat emptor on some of that advice rendered to you there based on what I already had to say about some of the places they mentioned that I warned you off of. Whether my advice is good wholly depends on your food and drink tastes. Just remember that my wife is a chef and the former director of the culinary school here and my thoughts are VERY colored by that.

Megna and Coach Blais finish out the last game of their utterly ridiculous and undeserved suspensions tonight.

What this series may bring, who knows? Based on what I have seen UNO do in conference, and, what I have seen UNO and other NCHC teams do out of conference, I am of a mind that the NCHC, save St Cloud State, isn't very good this year.

That said, we have looked very, very good in every home conference game we have played. Red Berenson, Dave Hakstol, and Enrico Blasi, all three, publicly said after playing UNO they had a difficult time skating with us.

I'm getting more and more unhappy with the direction the program has taken, frankly, the past 3 seasons. The program has regressed and I am getting tired of all these incidents that have occurred over those seasons that have manifestly affected this team and the program over that same time frame. We've gone from the unfortunate incident realm to "trend" and that is concerning.

Doesn't look there will much more than about 6,000 at tonight's game.

My gift to UMD fans. The game is on TV, locally. You can watch it. This is totally under the radar. It is not on any TV schedule that I have seen at the places you would normally see it. The game is being broadcast statewide here on NETV (Nebraska Public Television) and it is also streamed on their web site, freebie, and, it's a great stream, too:

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-m...-duluth-vs-uno

They are doing 3 UNO home games this season this way, and this is the 2nd of the 3 they will show.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
      If you want to drive around a bit, check out California Taco and Brewburger, they were both on Triple D and I thought both were very good.
      If he wants to go to a Triple D restaurant here in Omaha, he can also go to Amato's and while eating, he can stare out the window and watch our new arena being built.

It's literally right across the street.

The others are Big Mama's, Dixie Quick's, and Joe Tess.

As far as overall food quality, the best, by far, is Dixie Quick's. It has moved since the show aired and is now over in Council Bluffs, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        If he wants to go to a Triple D restaurant here in Omaha, he can also go to Amato's and while eating, he can stare out the window and watch our new arena being built.

It's literally right across the street.

The others are Big Mama's, Dixie Quick's, and Joe Tess.

As far as overall food quality, the best, by far, is Dixie Quick's. It has moved since the show aired and is now over in Council Bluffs, however.
        Also went to Joe Tess, and thought it was meh. I did, however, get the fried carp, which is notoriously inedible, so I would certainly go back and give them a chance with a more traditional eating fish.
        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
          Also went to Joe Tess, and thought it was meh. I did, however, get the fried carp, which is notoriously inedible, so I would certainly go back and give them a chance with a more traditional eating fish.
          "Carp are known for being inedible, but what the heck? I like things that taste horrible."
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            "Carp are known for being inedible, but what the heck? I like things that taste horrible."
            Indelible is an exaggeration, but carp is much maligned. However, it's the specialty at Joe Tess Place and the main dish they featured on Triple D, so I had to try. It was not bad in any way, just not something I'd try again.
            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Good win for UMD last night. Aaron Crandall played his best game I've seen and had some fantastic saves. Twice he robbed a UNO player when I thought they were going to score.

UNO fans were very friendly even if they hated my cowbell.

Had a blast after the game with some UNO fans who showed us Dudley's Pizza and Tavern near UNO's campus, their wings, pizza (with its awesome crust) and cookie pizza. Went to Spaghetti Works before the game which was good. We ended up at Dixie Quick's for breakfast and loved my guac, goat cheese and bacon omelet. Fantastic.

Hoping for a UMD win tonight! Go Bulldogs!
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Good win for UMD last night. Aaron Crandall played his best game I've seen and had some fantastic saves. Twice he robbed a UNO player when I thought they were going to score.

UNO fans were very friendly even if they hated my cowbell.

Had a blast after the game with some UNO fans who showed us Dudley's Pizza and Tavern near UNO's campus, their wings, pizza (with its awesome crust) and cookie pizza. Went to Spaghetti Works before the game which was good. We ended up at Dixie Quick's for breakfast and loved my guac, goat cheese and bacon omelet. Fantastic.

Hoping for a UMD win tonight! Go Bulldogs!
                Glad you had a good trip. Has your goalie been drafted? If not, the scouts have to be giving that animal a serious look. BTW, UNO fans would never hate a good cowbell.
                UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

We had a great trip. Thanks everyone for the tips and your hospitality. UNO fans are the nicest in the conference and college hockey.

Crandall is not drafted and has been pretty average (and often below average) during his college career. But if he plays like he did this weekend, it could really help him out.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

If you make it back here once the new arena is built there's an area nearby with a theatre and some good eats. There's a Restaurant down the road about 6 blocks called Petrow's that I think was on tripleD. That's a post for another day. I could have given you a pair of tickets that were given to me. I had no way to call you.
                    UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Biddco was an easy find in Section 120, straight across the arena from me in Section 108 at the Clink.

My wife: "What is he wearing?"

For the record:

https://***********/Biddco/status/42...477441/photo/1

I am sure he enjoyed his weekend, for a variety of reasons, the games themselves not withstanding, as I heard a lot about it from others although our paths did not manage to cross. Suffice to say I am glad our fans treated him as well as UMD fans treated us when we made the trek to Duluth a couple seasons ago. I must say, I am not surprised.

As far as the weekend is concerned, well, I've actually contemplated a "Fire Dean Blais" thread. If I did (and I am not) I'd have a question mark behind that statement. While I am not quite ready to pull the plug on him, I think I can make a pretty good case for getting thought processes thinking along those lines. I'll save my thoughts on this for our thread, tough.

The one thing that jumped out at me about this weekend is something that gnawed at me after seeing the shots on goal the past two nights and it prompted me to do a little research in this regard.

Since Coach Blais has become our head coach, we have lost 15 games where we have had 40 or more shots on goal in a game while outshooting the other team by at least 10 shots or more.

I mean, we've lost games where we've outshot our opponents on his watch 59-19, 53-13, 56-27,48-17, 45-17, 40-13, just to name a few of them.

This can possibly be indicative of several things, I realize. It appears to be a hallmark of Coach Blais coached teams to outshoot practically everybody (and before this weekend's 93 shots on goal by UNO they were 3rd in the nation in total shots) and have it not matter very much on the scoreboard. We seem to be some sort of hockey version of Paul Westhead's Loyola Marymount teams without the results.

All I can say is that it is incredibly frustrating to have this happen time after time and have your head coach have an "ah, well, what can you do?" attitude about it.

Well, Coach, I am beginning to spot something, and, it's called a "trend". This, coupled with some other troubling things we have seen are causes for concern. Like I said, I'll save this for and delve into this in the UNO thread sometime this week.

Congrats to UMD on getting outshot 93-43 this weekend and still getting out of here with 6 points.

UNO: "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight".

Side note. Anybody ever seen a player more effectively "disappear" from one season to the next than Ryan Walters has? He has 5 goals, total. All of them on the power play. No game winners. No game tying goals. He is 2nd on the team in points but he has basically fallen off the planet from last season to this season.
                      Last edited by Red Cows; 01-12-2014, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Side note. Anybody ever seen a player more effectively "disappear" from one season to the next than Ryan Walters has? He has 5 goals, total. All of them on the power play. No game winners. No game tying goals. He is 2nd on the team in points but he has basically fallen off the planet from last season to this season.
                        That is odd.
                        I don't think he got a point in the UNO-DU series. It was Archibald and Monpetit who wreaked havoc . I was surprised he wasn't the dominant player.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

Biddco was an easy find in Section 120, straight across the arena from me in Section 108 at the Clink.

My wife: "What is he wearing?"

For the record:

https://***********/Biddco/status/42...477441/photo/1

I am sure he enjoyed his weekend, for a variety of reasons, the games themselves not withstanding, as I heard a lot about it from others although our paths did not manage to cross. Suffice to say I am glad our fans treated him as well as UMD fans treated us when we made the trek to Duluth a couple seasons ago. I must say, I am not surprised.
                          Indeed. C'mon NCHC Fan of the Week

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                          If you make it back here once the new arena is built there's an area nearby with a theatre and some good eats. There's a Restaurant down the road about 6 blocks called Petrow's that I think was on tripleD. That's a post for another day. I could have given you a pair of tickets that were given to me. I had no way to call you.
                          We ate at Dudley's post game on Friday. They had some unique and delicious wings (peanut butter and jelly what?!), great pizza with fantastic crust and some good dessert.

We also ate at Cascio's pregame on Saturday and that was very good.

I added a few new pins to my collection to help remember this trip. I'll make it again someday.
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

Indeed. C'mon NCHC Fan of the Week
                            I'm starting a grassroots campaign in hopes of preventing this. Being a pin collector should automatically disqualify you from ever winning anything.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              I'm starting a grassroots campaign in hopes of preventing this. Being a pin collector should automatically disqualify you from ever winning anything.
                              Better to collect pins than thousands of dollars of AHL and other random minor league jerseys.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Better to collect pins than thousands of dollars of AHL and other random minor league jerseys.
                                Geez, you've fallen in line quickly. I figured getting married you'd lose some of your free thought, but you've lost all of it!
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X