Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Blackhawks agree to terms with Matt Carey - http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=710478
    SLU '97

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

"Carvel said he tried to convince Carey to stay in school for one more season because he thought Carey's game needed work." - http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...espnapi_public
      SLU '97

Comment

From reading the article in the link Tayt posted it sure sounds like Matt was hell bent on developing at the next level and not in college. Good luck to him. Both Matt and Lynah Fan will be happy! Matt we hardly knew ye!!! Wish we could have seen you for another year or two.

I was talking to Tim tonight about this.....can you imagine what the team might have been like if Matt didn't have to sit that year?? Had he been eligible to play a year sooner instead of red shirting we would have had Little Flanny centering the first line....Matt centering the second and had two almost unstoppable lines instead of just the one. Same on the PP we could have rolled out two pretty nice combo's! Woulda, coulda, shoulda!!!!

Maybe Carvy and the coaches should turn their attention to all the Harvard recruits who are de-committing there. Sounds like their number 1 and 2 recruits this year backed out or are rumored to be doing so. We have a scholarship freed up.

"Who knows the future of Adam plant and Brandon fortunato. Perhaps they can retake the SAT to try and raise their scores. Perhaps it is more than that. Perhaps these are just rumors and nothing more.
        Fortunato and Plant were likely Donato's #1 & #2 recruits for next year. I just hope Bracco and Fox don't have 2nd thoughts as well (if the rumors are indeed true).
        "[/I]

You have to figure the seat is getting pretty hot at Harvard for Teddy.

PS......Carey and Carey and Lake Placid are history.....maybe it's time to start a new thread and not have the title of this one rub me the wrong way every time I see it?!?
        SLU

Comment

Adam Plant and Brandon Fortunato are both defensemen. It sounds like Harvard is losing a forward recruit as well though, so who knows. We do now have another scholarship to offer. I guess we'll see if there is a late pickup out there available.
          SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
            Adam Plant and Brandon Fortunato are both defensemen. It sounds like Harvard is losing a forward recruit as well though, so who knows. We do now have another scholarship to offer. I guess we'll see if there is a late pickup out there available.
            Well, Justin Baker was a d-man too, but I really wonder if he shouldn't have been a forward full time instead of just on the PP umbrella? It would be nice to pick up another stud with Matt's scholarship, but even if we don't, we got a lot of talent coming in. Lough and Horn are both guys that score. Marnell can fly. I don't much about the kid from the BCHL, but we also have some nice d-men coming in Gluchowski and Purmal. Pritchard is also a good scorer but not sure if he is 2015 or 2016. Not that we would definitely want him, but Heisenberg has not shown Tim Lappin 4th going to Brown anymore even though the USHL website does. Who knows. There's been an unbelievably high number of decommits this year.

Finally, the sheer arrogance of Matt Carey makes me glad he is gone. His college coach, a guy who is a straight shooter and a decent man, with solid NHL and pro credentials of his own advises him to stay and Matt Carey flips him the bird and takes off. Matt has skill and potential, but he also has some bad habits, some liabilities and really fell off in the last month or so. It makes me wonder if the kid was capable of listening to his coach or is even coachable. Clearly, if that's his attitude, we'll be better off in the long run without him. Finally, on him, do the CBA rules stipulate he has to go to Chicago directly? I think so. I don't even thing he'll end up with Teddy Dent in the AHL but who knows I might be surprised. Chicago's a great organization.

Congrats to Bayreuther on making second team and all-rookie. Let's hope he gets one more award tomorrow...or TWO!! My votes would give him both ODOY and ROTY.
            9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
            1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Leckster, I believe you are correct about the CBA and Matt needing to go to the big club. Same situation applied for Haggerty from RPI and going to NYR.

I saw on twitter that Chicago may actually even be having Carey or their Finnish prospect suit up soon once they adjust and get some practice in, because Kane is out for next 2 weeks.

Comment

Less than 12 hours to go. You have until 4 PM today to get your picks in.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...-Playoffs-2014

This means you:

arickeo
                bcarlisle
                Brett Gobe
                Brian Sullivan/Nate Owen
                cudmud
                hockeyplayer1015
                ibanezist00
                Jack T. Ripper
                Maine-iac
                Mike Hutter
                Nyhockeyguy
                PutItBackOn
                StayPuftMMcu
                TchrBill
                ufanbill
                UnionTDX04
                Wholin1
                rjohntute
                Nottme
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Watertown Daily Times - Matt Carey signs with Blackhawks; brother Greg again a Hobey Baker finalist: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...TS03/703219898
                  SLU '97

Comment

Can you guys have any worse luck...Feeling for ya !
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Can you guys have any worse luck...Feeling for ya !
                      Matt Carey is an excellent player. But don't feel bad for us, really. After all, Greg is an even better player at this point in their careers, and we had both of them this year. How did that work out for us? #1 PP in the country, negative goal differential, and a losing record.

Let's at least allow for the possibility that next year's team will come together as a group, offensively and defensively. This year's team never clicked. As good as Matt is, this could be addition by subtraction - I'm not saying it will be for sure, but as Professor Fay taught me long ago at night school in Canton . . . You never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                        Well, Justin Baker was a d-man too, but I really wonder if he shouldn't have been a forward full time instead of just on the PP umbrella? It would be nice to pick up another stud with Matt's scholarship, but even if we don't, we got a lot of talent coming in. Lough and Horn are both guys that score. Marnell can fly. I don't much about the kid from the BCHL, but we also have some nice d-men coming in Gluchowski and Purmal. Pritchard is also a good scorer but not sure if he is 2015 or 2016. Not that we would definitely want him, but Heisenberg has not shown Tim Lappin 4th going to Brown anymore even though the USHL website does. Who knows. There's been an unbelievably high number of decommits this year.

Finally, the sheer arrogance of Matt Carey makes me glad he is gone. His college coach, a guy who is a straight shooter and a decent man, with solid NHL and pro credentials of his own advises him to stay and Matt Carey flips him the bird and takes off. Matt has skill and potential, but he also has some bad habits, some liabilities and really fell off in the last month or so. It makes me wonder if the kid was capable of listening to his coach or is even coachable. Clearly, if that's his attitude, we'll be better off in the long run without him. Finally, on him, do the CBA rules stipulate he has to go to Chicago directly? I think so. I don't even thing he'll end up with Teddy Dent in the AHL but who knows I might be surprised. Chicago's a great organization.

Congrats to Bayreuther on making second team and all-rookie. Let's hope he gets one more award tomorrow...or TWO!! My votes would give him both ODOY and ROTY.
                        There is no such award as Offensive Defenseman of the Year...just Defensive Defenseman.

Comment

Originally posted by elsid View Post
                          There is no such award as Offensive Defenseman of the Year...just Defensive Defenseman.
                          And we certainly won't have anyone winning that award after this year!!
                          SLU

Comment

Originally posted by elsid View Post
                            Well that sucks because Bayreuther was a shoe in. Someone buy him a Sergi's fat bag....that will keep just as well as a trophy and doesn't tarnish.

He better be ROTY. There is not a freshmen in my mind that comes close. Anas put up good numbers, but he was also the trigger man on their PP. Finn helped Colgate a lot, but even after our series with him I am not sure he was the difference or the overall play of Colgate defensively.

DDOY - eh, not this year! Why even have a luncheon, just give it to Union's #14.

Comment

Here is a audio link for a 20 minute interview Scott Radley of Hamilton's CHML AM-990 did with Greg and Matt Carey Thursday evening:

https://soundcloud.com/am900chml/gre...rey-talk-about

And here is a good article from this morning's Hamilton Spector interviewing Matt and teams teams that were pursuing him:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/44...th-blackhawks/
                              SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                                Well that sucks because Bayreuther was a shoe in. Someone buy him a Sergi's fat bag....that will keep just as well as a trophy and doesn't tarnish.

He better be ROTY. There is not a freshmen in my mind that comes close. Anas put up good numbers, but he was also the trigger man on their PP. Finn helped Colgate a lot, but even after our series with him I am not sure he was the difference or the overall play of Colgate defensively.

DDOY - eh, not this year! Why even have a luncheon, just give it to Union's #14.
                                Congrats to Bayreuther...Co-ROTY is still ROTY and well-deserved. I am glad / relieved he won as I always worry about injustices in this league.

Comment

Working...
                                X