Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by bcarlisle View Post
    It seems to me what worked thjs year was not just no NC game but also the back-to-back, home-and-home aspect along with the pre-Christmas scheduling. I coukd feel the energy around last weekend all the way out here in California. When you separate this series from the week-in, week-out grind if the latter half of the ECAC season, you've helped make it special. And it's early enough in the season where the games are.actually going to matter a lot in the standings down the line. It doesn't hurt that both teams are (were) off to fast starts.

Hell, if we're going to play in Lake Placid, maybe we ought to try to schedule a big money program so that we can give them some gate money as incentive. How about a replay of the 1988 Minnesota v. St. Lawrence game at Herb Brooks Arena?
    I think what also helped is the games were on Friday and Saturday night when the students are in school. No bigger waste than having these games on a Tuesday night or when the students are on break. I like tourney's. For one thing, there is more hockey and more fans and for another it's good practice for the league championship. MAYBE I am okay with adding in a single game in LP, but not two. I watched some of the NC games and they lacked the energy that these games had. Besides, in most years, Clarkson isn't worth anything in the PWR and is not a TUC. If we go anywhere after LP this year and were able to eek out an at-large bid with a great second half run, it will be the games against Ferris State, UND and maybe even Maine that will matter. Clarkson's had good success this season, but looking at their NC schedule it's not great. CC is winless out of the NCHC and has 2 wins, RIT, UNH is a good one but they lost to them. Further, even in my era when we generally beat Clarkson, I didn't like those games as much as some others. They carried too much emotion and not enough hockey. We rarely play our best against them. I'd like to see Cornell more or schedule games such as at Wisconsin or at Minnesota or at Michigan/Michigan State. Those games at Wisconsin a few years ago were a lot of fun, great exposure, great experience for the players and we were the only team in Wisco's first 21 games to beat them. I'd love to see the two league games against Clarkson scheduled as home and home the last weekend of the Regular Season. That's usually when we are at our best.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Lake Placid is a pipe dream for this team until some major changes happen defensively. It's scary to think we have one of the best offenses in the country and are gonna scrape to be a .500 team. If we can fix even a couple things in our defensive end we could be a major force in the second half but we all have been saying this since the beginning of the pre-season scrimmages with basically no improvement so far in our end of the ice.

Not pointing the finger at the coaches just don't think we have the horses defensively. As it's been talked about in this thread and other threads there was a year or two of thin recruiting with Coach Marsh being sidelined. This is proving to really be biting us in the rear with this group defensively. If anyone can fix a group's lack defensively it is Coach Hurlbut.

On to Vermont...Let's Go Saints!
      Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
        Lake Placid is a pipe dream for this team until some major changes happen defensively. It's scary to think we have one of the best offenses in the country and are gonna scrape to be a .500 team. If we can fix even a couple things in our defensive end we could be a major force in the second half but we all have been saying this since the beginning of the pre-season scrimmages with basically no improvement so far in our end of the ice.

Not pointing the finger at the coaches just don't think we have the horses defensively. As it's been talked about in this thread and other threads there was a year or two of thin recruiting with Coach Marsh being sidelined. This is proving to really be biting us in the rear with this group defensively. If anyone can fix a group's lack defensively it is Coach Hurlbut.

On to Vermont...Let's Go Saints!
        I disagree. There have been nights our team defense has been excellent. At Harvard, we were pretty dominant at both ends of the ice. I'd say after the first period at Dartmouth we were acceptable in the 2nd and 3rd. We do have the horses. I think Bayreuther and Sweetman are both future all-americans. Further, a lot of the problems were not defensemen, they were forwards missing their assignments. Obviously, goaltending is important. While I won't pin either loss on Wenny this weekend, I will say he seems to be struggling. I am not sure how far we will go this season, but for the sake of some seniors that have been a joy to watch such as Carey, Baker, Wenny and Wick especially, I hope the turn around happens this season. There is no doubt even with the loss of George Hughes, our defense is better this year than last. Carvy was a great defensive forward, and I hope he can fix the forwards defensively. Hurley was a great 2 way defensemen and I know he can fix our woes back there. Mayo was a goalie and I am hoping he can get Wenny to the top of his game or hurry Parks along who is, at a minimum, huge in net. I know we have a highly regarded goalie coming in next year.

I believe this team is going to be a really good team. What I don't know is when. The recruits we have coming in are moving this program in the right direction. I have seen what this team is capable of and not only did they dominate Harvard at both ends of the ice, they physically took it to them too - especially Sweetman and Wick.

I remember Joe Marsh's first season in 85-86. We were 0-7 at this stage of the season but we had obvious talent. The second half, we tore it up and were above .500. Then, we got first placed Yale in the playoffs and we were leading 5-3 in the third and Freshmen Russ Mann made a clearing pass that when right to a Yale player headed high speed towards our net and they scored and went on to win 6-5. I never saw Russ make that mistake in a game again, and the next three seasons we were in the league championship every year and, won it twice and went to the NCAA's all three years. The good news is it is not a talent problem. It is not a lack of potential problem. It is tweaks, teachable moments and just getting guys more experience and getting them to do their jobs. In 1985, our last loss before Christmas was 10-1 to those buttheads up route 11 playing extremely short handed with injuries a plenty. About January 15th, we were beating that same Clarkson team 5-4 and Mike Hurlbut took a dumb retaliation penalty and instead of playing out most of the remaining time on the PP, or even strength, it was 4-4 or we were on the PK and they scored. Timmy Lappin won it for us in OT, but I don't think Hurley EVER took a dumb penalty like that again in his remaining 3.5 years. You can't get lower than losing to Clarkson 10-1. I think we are in a similar situation. The talent is there. The coaches are there. The glimpses of what we could be are there. I have complete faith that those wretched things we all saw this and in recent weekends that made me want to puke are fixable and will be fixed. I just don't know when.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          Power rankings seem accurate. I am surprised we didn't drop lower. You get to be a winning hockey team by success at both ends of the ice - plain and simple.

195 would be all time points leader. Me thinks he has a good chance to surpass 197.
          Brian McFarlane is the all time goal scorer with 101, is that correct (I think it is)? He would really have to catch fire to break that mark, he is 23 goals behind!
          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            I disagree. There have been nights our team defense has been excellent. At Harvard, we were pretty dominant at both ends of the ice. I'd say after the first period at Dartmouth we were acceptable in the 2nd and 3rd. We do have the horses. I think Bayreuther and Sweetman are both future all-americans. Further, a lot of the problems were not defensemen, they were forwards missing their assignments. Obviously, goaltending is important. While I won't pin either loss on Wenny this weekend, I will say he seems to be struggling. I am not sure how far we will go this season, but for the sake of some seniors that have been a joy to watch such as Carey, Baker, Wenny and Wick especially, I hope the turn around happens this season. There is no doubt even with the loss of George Hughes, our defense is better this year than last. Carvy was a great defensive forward, and I hope he can fix the forwards defensively. Hurley was a great 2 way defensemen and I know he can fix our woes back there. Mayo was a goalie and I am hoping he can get Wenny to the top of his game or hurry Parks along who is, at a minimum, huge in net. I know we have a highly regarded goalie coming in next year.

I believe this team is going to be a really good team. What I don't know is when. The recruits we have coming in are moving this program in the right direction. I have seen what this team is capable of and not only did they dominate Harvard at both ends of the ice, they physically took it to them too - especially Sweetman and Wick.

I remember Joe Marsh's first season in 85-86. We were 0-7 at this stage of the season but we had obvious talent. The second half, we tore it up and were above .500. Then, we got first placed Yale in the playoffs and we were leading 5-3 in the third and Freshmen Russ Mann made a clearing pass that when right to a Yale player headed high speed towards our net and they scored and went on to win 6-5. I never saw Russ make that mistake in a game again, and the next three seasons we were in the league championship every year and, won it twice and went to the NCAA's all three years. The good news is it is not a talent problem. It is not a lack of potential problem. It is tweaks, teachable moments and just getting guys more experience and getting them to do their jobs. In 1985, our last loss before Christmas was 10-1 to those buttheads up route 11 playing extremely short handed with injuries a plenty. About January 15th, we were beating that same Clarkson team 5-4 and Mike Hurlbut took a dumb retaliation penalty and instead of playing out most of the remaining time on the PP, or even strength, it was 4-4 or we were on the PK and they scored. Timmy Lappin won it for us in OT, but I don't think Hurley EVER took a dumb penalty like that again in his remaining 3.5 years. You can't get lower than losing to Clarkson 10-1. I think we are in a similar situation. The talent is there. The coaches are there. The glimpses of what we could be are there. I have complete faith that those wretched things we all saw this and in recent weekends that made me want to puke are fixable and will be fixed. I just don't know when.
            I agree with most of this. I also see the upside in the team defensively, but my problem is that I just hope we are able to shore that up for the remainder of this season. Yes, we have a stud goalie coming in and the young D-corp will now have a year under their belt. We should be solid defensively in years to come, but with this much offensive talent I just wish we could be better defensively now. We could be a tremendous team and a no doubt NCAA contender with a strong defensive team. Who knows maybe during the winter break we can put it all together ... Only time will tell, that's for sure.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
            9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Lake Placid is a pipe dream for this team until some major changes happen defensively.
              Well for the sake of my $250+ per night room I already have booked, I sure hope we can make it or else I may be watching four teams with less enthusiasm than I would if my Saints were there!

Comment

On a complete side note and something worth noting about those b****** from up Route 11 ... Did anyone else notice the sign that the Clarkson students had put on the glass behind Wenninger for Fridays game? It was a sign that talked about his kids and the sign read "This is how Matt Wenninger manages to get himself a tax write-off" ... Not that I am surprised in the least considering this is normal behavior from Clarkson fans, but this crosses a bit of a line and I'm really surprised no one mentioned it here yet. Thankfully, someone agreed with me as it was removed halfway through the 3rd period of play (not sure what took that long). What a joke!
                Last edited by Saints#1; 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I think the defense and forwards just need to play more disipline. There are a number of time I have seen the opponents just walk in uncontested and shoot on the goalies. I think Wenny can turn it around but if they turn it over to Parks I have faith in him as well. He has been getting better everytime he plays. I saw some of him last year when he was in Juniors after he committed and he is an athletic goalie for being that big. He just needs to play. It looks like his is used to being the work horse and has to get into a rhythm. With Hayton coming in next year I think he will definetly push Parks and it will be a good competition.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFan31 View Post
                    I think the defense and forwards just need to play more disipline. There are a number of time I have seen the opponents just walk in uncontested and shoot on the goalies. I think Wenny can turn it around but if they turn it over to Parks I have faith in him as well. He has been getting better everytime he plays. I saw some of him last year when he was in Juniors after he committed and he is an athletic goalie for being that big. He just needs to play. It looks like his is used to being the work horse and has to get into a rhythm. With Hayton coming in next year I think he will definetly push Parks and it will be a good competition.
                    Don't overlook MacDonald. He was very highly regarded before getting injured the year before college.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                      On a complete side note and something worth noting about those b****** from up Route 11 ... Did anyone else notice the sign that the Clarkson students had put on the glass behind Wenninger for Fridays game? It was a sign that talked about his kids and the sign read "This is how Matt Wenninger manages to get himself a tax write-off" ... Not that I am surprised in the least considering this is normal behavior from Clarkson fans, but this crosses a bit of a line and I'm really surprised no one mentioned it here yet. Thankfully, someone agreed with me as it was removed halfway through the 3rd period of play (not sure what took that long). What a joke!
                      That is classless. After what when on few years back at Clarkson's hockey camp, they shouldn't be talking about ANYONE"S personal life. Being able to show that person what they can do with that sign would almost have made the loss not seem so bad....almost!

Comment

Does anyone know if the Vermont game will be televised online?

Comment

Originally posted by BigSaint View Post
                          Does anyone know if the Vermont game will be televised online?
                          Yes, it will be: http://nsnsports.net/colleges/university-of-vermont/
                          SLU '97

Comment

Not saying the season is over cause like I pointed we are only a few defensive end corrections away from being very good. However, the thing that I don't like is that we have looked like we were cleaning things up before and had good games only to revert to terrible. I probably worded it wrong but I meant the whole team not just the defense unit. Our forwards have been plain terrible inside our own blue line, not taking care of business in their zones of the defensive end and they play extremely scared clearing the puck (refusing to take a hit on the boards in order to get the puck out of the zone). Way too many turnovers by throwing no look passes in our own end and way too many guys letting pucks simply go to avoid contact. You want to play and win big-boy hockey you have to be willing to get a little dirty especially in your own end.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I know Carvey and Hurley are telling this guys the right way to play defense (hell you can here their instructions clearly in Appleton most nights) but the guys aren't able figure it out or just plain refuse to get it done.

Again, things could easily turn and we could have a great season. However, if we stay even close to the course we are playing defensively as a whole team this could be one of the most frustrating seasons ever.

Let's Go Saints! Crush the Cats!
                            Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

Not saying the season is over cause like I pointed we are only a few defensive end corrections away from being very good. However, the thing that I don't like is that we have looked like we were cleaning things up before and had good games only to revert to terrible. I probably worded it wrong but I meant the whole team not just the defense unit. Our forwards have been plain terrible inside our own blue line, not taking care of business in their zones of the defensive end and they play extremely scared clearing the puck (refusing to take a hit on the boards in order to get the puck out of the zone). Way too many turnovers by throwing no look passes in our own end and way too many guys letting pucks simply go to avoid contact. You want to play and win big-boy hockey you have to be willing to get a little dirty especially in your own end.

The thing that bothers me the most is that I know Carvey and Hurley are telling this guys the right way to play defense (hell you can here their instructions clearly in Appleton most nights) but the guys aren't able figure it out or just plain refuse to get it done.

Again, things could easily turn and we could have a great season. However, if we stay even close to the course we are playing defensively as a whole team this could be one of the most frustrating seasons ever.

Let's Go Saints! Crush the Cats!
                              Agreed. More games like the recent ones against Clarkson, Cornell and Colgate will result in complete frustration. We need more 60 minute games such as the way they played at Harvard.

One thing SLU has almost always had is good penalty killing. There are times when defensemen have to stay at home and the forwards have to be focused on position and not afraid to sacrifice. Just fixing that changes the outcome of the games this weekend.

The games were very frustrating to watch this weekend. You could see every goal against develop and it was way too easy for Clarkson. That's gotta end. If it doesn't, coaches have to come down on the players that aren't doing what their told. Plain and simple, stop trying to do to much, start playing as a unit, focus on fundamentals.

I think its more frustrating because we all see what we can be, and just aren't putting it together in some of the recent games. That's tougher than some seasons past where we just didn't have the depth or talent which we do have now.

Vermont will be a good test for us. Hope we can end the slide and focus on getting back to basics.

Comment

Found a really good article on the Carey brothers that I think everyone would enjoy reading ... It's a shame we only get the together for one full year!

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...the-fans-sing/

Comment

Working...
                                X