Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Was watching some of your game tonight and could've sworn I heard your band playing Rick Astley.

Never gonna give, never gonna give!
    You did, they started playing it last year.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
      You did, they started playing it last year.
      Maybe they should stop...

Reminds me of when the UW band busted out the Macarena back when it first came out at a football game. Realize that the UW band is beloved here to my mind more than they should be, but beloved nonetheless.

The entire stadium booed and they never played it again.

Get them to stop and your season might just get back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Maybe they should stop...

Reminds me of when the UW band busted out the Macarena back when it first came out at a football game. Realize that the UW band is beloved here to my mind more than they should be, but beloved nonetheless.

The entire stadium booed and they never played it again.

Get them to stop and your season might just get back on track.
        Playing that song is the least of their troubles. No one boos it, in fact, the entire student section sings the rest of it when the band has to stop playing it. It's actually pretty awesome.

Comment

Here was ESPN's top plays for Friday night, with Saponari's #1:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter...days-top-plays

Edit: Aaaand Rogie already posted it on the blog, missed that.
          Last edited by candycanes99; 01-23-2010, 11:45 PM.
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Had a great time at Agganis tonight, and once again, I must say, the BU student section/band is matched by none in Hockey East, I don't think its even close. Kudos to you guys and gals!

Comment

Had a crappy time at Agganis last night, for obvious reasons. I would tend to say that BU played just well enough to lose...except for that godawful power play. Why can't Parker drill it into them that they don't score points by completing 15 passes to each other back and forth but never shooting the puck, preferably on net? They wasted that entire 5-3 screwing around and not taking shots. UNH might as well just have pulled their penalty killing unit off the ice.

Beyond that though, this team really misses the individual skills of a guy like Colin Wilson. Somebody who can take over the game themselves and get that key goal while the rest of the team is struggling. Bonino can do that on and off but that's it. There were a lot of juicy rebounds to be had last night but not enough players capitalizing.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

. . . and exactly what I was concerned about happened. I don't understand why this team cannot get motivated. That 6-on-3? Ridiculous. This team can bring it. They showed it in the third period when they kept the puck in the zone for what seemed like forever, but unless they're playing BC, they don't want to win the game badly enough.
                April 11th 2009
                October 27th 2004
                October 28th 2007

Sure, the Yankees have won 27 World Series Championships, but how many Beanpots have they won?

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Had a crappy time at Agganis last night, for obvious reasons. I would tend to say that BU played just well enough to lose...except for that godawful power play. Why can't Parker drill it into them that they don't score points by completing 15 passes to each other back and forth but never shooting the puck, preferably on net? They wasted that entire 5-3 screwing around and not taking shots. UNH might as well just have pulled their penalty killing unit off the ice.

Beyond that though, this team really misses the individual skills of a guy like Colin Wilson. Somebody who can take over the game themselves and get that key goal while the rest of the team is struggling. Bonino can do that on and off but that's it. There were a lot of juicy rebounds to be had last night but not enough players capitalizing.
                  Agreed. From my vantage point the 5/6 on 3 was a dud. And a few other points:

- My first time in Agganis since the new banner went up. The National Championship banners should be visible when you first walk into the arena. It's great to see them as a home fan and I like the message to visitors: "We have 5 national championship banners, how about you?"

- I got caught in the middle of a pi**ing match between the Office of Alumni Relations and the Ticket Office the result of which was that our group missed the beginning of the game. Good to see that various branches of BU's bureaucracy are just as competent as when I was a student.

- Megan looked a lot more comfortable than the last time I saw a game. Looking ahead to 2010-11' [can you blame me?], I think we will see a sizable jump in impact from him.

- Rollheiser made some nice saves but he has a chance right now to make a statement and show that he is the hot goalie. I don't know that his performance last night reached that level.

- Last night was a golden opportunity to turn the season around. I would have hoped that if BU lost, they would have gone down swinging. The fact the first two periods were so lame is telling.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                    - Megan looked a lot more comfortable than the last time I saw a game. Looking ahead to 2010-11' [can you blame me?], I think we will see a sizable jump in impact from him.
                    Parker's raved about the way Megan's played in the second half, and personally, I've seen what he's seen. Not sure if its more about comfort at the college level, or because he's liking playing between Pereira and Gaudet, but he's been fantastic both ways.

Only gripe was the slashing call he took in the second period last night. That was a dumb penalty. Otherwise, I think he's already a good No. 2 center, and it's within reason that a year from now, if he takes another step or two forward offensively, he could handle first-line duties.
                    Boston Hockey Blog

Comment

Time to learn some new systems. The PP according to the BU radio announcer (Sullivan) was pathetic. UNH took away the top and feeding CCohen seems to be the only option. Jack needs to get his books out and try something out of his comfort zone. Watched Pittsburg and Philly todayand the most dangerous PP oppertunities were created from down low, just like the radio announcer last night said. The bottom line in any sport is that you don't get results by coaches running their players down, they make coaching adjustments with the people the have .

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Playing that song is the least of their troubles. No one boos it, in fact, the entire student section sings the rest of it when the band has to stop playing it. It's actually pretty awesome.
                        so sayeth the girl...

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        Had a crappy time at Agganis last night, for obvious reasons. I would tend to say that BU played just well enough to lose...except for that godawful power play. Why can't Parker drill it into them that they don't score points by completing 15 passes to each other back and forth but never shooting the puck, preferably on net? They wasted that entire 5-3 screwing around and not taking shots. UNH might as well just have pulled their penalty killing unit off the ice. ....
                        and you are surprised at this?

Agreed. From my vantage point the 5/6 on 3 was a dud. And a few other points:

- My first time in Agganis since the new banner went up. The National Championship banners should be visible when you first walk into the arena. It's great to see them as a home fan and I like the message to visitors: "We have 5 national championship banners, how about you?" ...

Originally posted by BU Hammer View Post
                        Parker's raved about the way Megan's played in the second half, and personally, I've seen what he's seen. Not sure if its more about comfort at the college level, or because he's liking playing between Pereira and Gaudet, but he's been fantastic both ways.

Only gripe was the slashing call he took in the second period last night. That was a dumb penalty. Otherwise, I think he's already a good No. 2 center, and it's within reason that a year from now, if he takes another step or two forward offensively, he could handle first-line duties.
                        why punish him by sticking Vincent on his line!??!?!?!?

Originally posted by stripes99 View Post
                        Time to learn some new systems. The PP according to the BU radio announcer (Sullivan) was pathetic. UNH took away the top and feeding CCohen seems to be the only option. Jack needs to get his books out and try something out of his comfort zone. Watched Pittsburg and Philly todayand the most dangerous PP oppertunities were created from down low, just like the radio announcer last night said. The bottom line in any sport is that you don't get results by coaches running their players down, they make coaching adjustments with the people the have .
                        the best players are on the blue line... you don't want to run any "offense" down low through Vincent, do you?

-----good thing we got them there 2pts this weekend. home ice is just around the corner now.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

When you first walk into the arena and look out onto the ice, you see the HE Championship banners straight ahead of you but the National Championship banners are hanging parallel to the ice so not so easy to see at first glance. Am I wrong about this? It wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

1-New Hampshire===GP(16)__11-2-3____25===ppg(1.56)^
                            2-Massachusetts==GP(17)____10-7-0____20=====(1.18)
                            3-Boston College===GP(17)___9-6-2____20=====(1.18)*
                            4-Maine=========GP(15)___8-6-1_____17=====(1.13)
                            5-Mass.-Lowell====GP(16)___8-6-2_____18=====(1.13)
                            6-Vermont========GP(15)__6-7-2_____14=====(0.93)
                            7-Boston University=GP(17)___6-9-2____14=====(0.82)
                            8-Northeastern====GP(17)___6-10-1___13======(0.76)
                            9-Merrimack======GP(14)__5-9-0______10======(0.71)*
                            10-Providence=====GP(16)__4-11-1____9======(0.56)

*BU owns tie-breaker
                            ^BU loses tie-breaker
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes99 View Post
                              On Friday night, BU Hammer and I were talking about how great Bonino is below the goal line, not just battling for possession, but creating chances. Parker mentioned before that the reverse umbrella power play was meant to create more offense from down low to get the penalty killers turned around. He also mentioned that when they practice the 6-on-3, they practice it being run from down low. Yet, as far as I can tell, the reverse umbrella, and definitely the 6-on-3 last night, are still being run from up top.

All that said, though, the power play is 10-for-38 (26.3%) in the new year. To put that in perspective, last year's PP, which many people referred to as "unstoppable" at times, operated at 21.9%. 5-on-3's may be a problem, but the PP in general is not. In fact, it's one of this team's biggest strengths right now.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

When you first walk into the arena and look out onto the ice, you see the HE Championship banners straight ahead of you but the National Championship banners are hanging parallel to the ice so not so easy to see at first glance. Am I wrong about this? It wouldn't be the first time.

The national championship banners are right in front of you, no? HE Championships are above 118, all the HE teams are on the right side of the ice when you walk in, the ECAC Championships and Beanpots are on the left side, and the Hobey Baker banner, national championships, Travis Roy and Harry Agganis are above 108. I've been paying a lot of attention to banners this year, so I'm fairly certain about this.
                                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X