Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    no. i'm saying they need "4pt" weekends the rest of the season to make the tournament. "2pt" weekends are useless.
    But why would you say this at all, unless your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek? Because this just makes you look like one of those fans that Carmine was making fun of in his earlier post. Not saying there aren't any. I just didn't think you were one of them. Trying to figure out all the (improbable) ways to make the NCAAs at this point is like me trying to figure out a way to hook up with George Clooney for a weekend. Nice to dream about but it ain't happening, unless you're somewhat whacked in the head.

All of that said, I think the Pereira-Megan-Gaudet line has been the team's best by far in '10. So we've got that going for us.
    This line played really well last night. I hope they stay together for a while.

Comment

• Re: Boston University 2009-2010 Season Thread II: Still got a pulse, time for CPR

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      But why would you say this at all, unless your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek? Because this just makes you look like one of those fans that Carmine was making fun of in his earlier post. Not saying there aren't any. I just didn't think you were one of them. Trying to figure out all the (improbable) ways to make the NCAAs at this point is like me trying to figure out a way to hook up with George Clooney for a weekend. Nice to dream about but it ain't happening, unless you're somewhat whacked in the head. .
      well that was the point as i was responding to the "2 pt" hopes of collegefan guy. 2pt weekends don't help. they need 4pt weekends and a lot of them. unfortunately, i don't see that happening.

i gave up on this year's team a while ago. i thought that was clear.

and i need to worry about carmine's thought of me and my team like i need another hole in my head

(and did you bid on the ernest bourgnine post-oscar party??? i think that could get you a chance for georgie boy!! nevah know who may show up there )
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I was at the game - very fun for a neutral due to its chippiness.

I thought Rollheiser played really well, although he kind of lucked out when the puck that squirted behind him in the final flurry went wide.

Gryba was awful. That was Gryba who fell down to give Merrimack a breakaway on their first goal, right? He also took a dumb penalty (shock!).

C. Cohen is on fire. How many goals does he have in calendar year 2010?
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
          I thought Rollheiser played really well, although he kind of lucked out when the puck that squirted behind him in the final flurry went wide.
          Agreed. And agreed.

Gryba was awful. That was Gryba who fell down to give Merrimack a breakaway on their first goal, right? He also took a dumb penalty (shock!).
          Yeah, that was him. That's what I meant earlier - clumsy.

C. Cohen is on fire. How many goals does he have in calendar year 2010?
          Four? Two last night, two against UMass. Wait - did he score at Fenway?

Comment

No, but I'm pretty sure he had an assist.
            BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
            -
            Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
              As an aside has anyone ever seen the trick that Merrimack was pulling tonight? What I mean is that they would keep a forward at center ice forcing a BU defender to hang back with him.
              I think that's what was happening when I yelled at a couple of Mack players for cherry picking...
              Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Yeah he was on fire for most of the third... though the puck-squirting-just-wide happened once in the first period too.
                Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                  Connolly has been a major disappointment this year, probably the biggest regressor last night's nice gritty goal aside. He seems to have an uncanny knack for skating and passing the puck OUT of scoring areas in the offensive zone.
                  I agree that the sophomore class is a huge disappointment this year, but I wouldn't say that it has anything to do with Chris Connolly. Connolly is often the player behind breakouts, and his goal last night was a prime example of why he is valuable to this team. He's one of the only players on the squad that consistently crashes the net, and like Joe Pereira, his speed sparks the offense. If anyone has a knack for passing the puck out of the scoring areas, it's Vinny Saponari.

That said, Corey Trivino seems to have come back after break with a fire lit under him. He was all over the ice last night and playing the most physical game I have ever seen him play. His speed is really showing now, and I think he's one big game away from a breakout.
                  April 11th 2009
                  October 27th 2004
                  October 28th 2007

Sure, the Yankees have won 27 World Series Championships, but how many Beanpots have they won?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyNoblesIsLife View Post
                    If anyone has a knack for passing the puck out of the scoring areas, it's Vinny Saponari.
                    Actually, those aren't passes, they are shots. He just has trouble getting them towards the net sometimes
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

well that was the point as i was responding to the "2 pt" hopes of collegefan guy. 2pt weekends don't help. they need 4pt weekends and a lot of them. unfortunately, i don't see that happening.

i gave up on this year's team a while ago. i thought that was clear.

and i need to worry about carmine's thought of me and my team like i need another hole in my head

(and did you bid on the ernest bourgnine post-oscar party??? i think that could get you a chance for georgie boy!! nevah know who may show up there )
                      Mookie,
                      Don't lay this on me buddy. My 2 point comment was first talking about the post holiday record related to the fact we needed 4 points playing Prov and Mack this weekend to have a legitimate shot at a home seed in HE. I said nothing about the NCAA tournament....you did.

On the NCAA tournament topic you brought up, there is one way this team goes to the tournament....it wins HE and getting a home seed would help with that. My point was that with the 2 teams played this weekend this team needed to sweep because 2 points next weekend against BC and NH would have represented a weekend of not backing up. If they split next weekend after picking up 8 points out of the break, they'd be pushing toward that number 4 slot in HE.

Mookie, when you say something dumb, man up!
                      Last edited by collegefan06; 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by collegefan06 View Post
                        3-1 to start January is a vast improvement over the first half of the season but losing to Providence is a setback when next weekend brings BC and NH. The team's loss to the Friars reduces its margin of error and makes getting 2 points very important next weekend.

3-3 after next weekend will not be the lift we needed to get back into the race for home ice but 4-2 would.
                        Mookie,
                        Don't lay this on me buddy. My 2 point comment was first talking about the post holiday record related to the fact we needed 4 points playing Prov and Mack this weekend to have a legitimate shot at a home seed in HE. I said nothing about the NCAA tournament....you did.

On the NCAA tournament topic you brought up, there is one way this team goes to the tournament....it wins HE and getting a home seed would help with that. My point was that with the 2 teams played this weekend this team needed to sweep because 2 points next weekend against BC and NH would have represented a weekend of not backing up. If they split next weekend after picking up 8 points out of the break, they'd be pushing toward that number 4 slot in HE.

well you didn't make that point.

is that what the season is all about?? home ice for hea qf?? if you have a thought to finish in your post, do it. if i'm supposed to assume a "2 pt weekend" coming up is the cure to get home ice then everything will fall into place....... that's something i aint.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

is that what the season is all about?? .
                          BU's season is all about the Beanpot, right?
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

is that what the season is all about?? home ice for hea qf?? if you have a thought to finish in your post, do it. if i'm supposed to assume a "2 pt weekend" coming up is the cure to get home ice then everything will fall into place....... that's something i aint.
                            Read the last line of that post in which I say: 3-3 after next weekend will not be the lift we needed to get back into the race for home ice but 4-2 would.

That is the point I was making. Nothing about NCAA tournament. If you don't like the point I made that's fine but don't pawn off your dumb remarks on me.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                              BU's season is all about the Beanpot, right?
                              Except when they are playing in the most Final 4's all time for an Eastern school and winning 5 NC's. As far as winning Beanpots, as Staples says 'yeah, we do that too".

Comment

Really slow night at work = exploitation of the multi-quote function.

buoldtimer upthread mentioned his disappointment with the whole sophomore class. I couldn't agree more. Millan, while he's been ok recently, has regressed. Warsofsky has been fine, but I haven't really seen anything in the way of improvement. Trivino, as has also been mentioned, shows flashes here and there but he's largely invisible out there. Connolly has been a major disappointment this year, probably the biggest regressor last night's nice gritty goal aside. He seems to have an uncanny knack for skating and passing the puck OUT of scoring areas in the offensive zone. And Vinny Saponari. What a joke. He's the softest player I've seen in some time and has no business on the first line.
                                Millan- You pretty much nailed it. To be fair, though, if anyone was expecting him to repeat last year's numbers, that was simply an unrealistic expectation. Obviously, no one expected his numbers to plummet as much as they did in the first half, though.

Warsofsky- I think he's been better than fine. I don't think there's been any dropoff from last year to this year. He may not be better than last year, but he's still one of the best d-men in the conference in my opinion.

Trivino- Pretty much agree. He's certainly been better this year than last, but I think it's fair to expect much more from a 2nd-round pick.

Connolly- This one I don't agree with. Obviously, he had been in a drought up until his goal last night, but I think for the majority of this season, he's been the 2nd-best forward after Bonino. He's also one of the true leaders of this team, as a sophomore. I'd be surprised if he isn't wearing at least an 'A' next season.

Saponari- Can't agree with this, either. There's a lot of things you can criticize Vinny for, but I don't see how being soft is one of them. He's one of the hardest workers on this team along the boards, in the corners and below the goal line. If you wanna criticize him for shooting wide, not burying rebounds, etc., go right ahead, but I just don't see how you can call him soft. Also, his passing has been very good all season.

All of that said, I think the Pereira-Megan-Gaudet line has been the team's best by far in '10. So we've got that going for us.
                                Someone I know is writing a story on that line for Tuesday's Freep.

Originally posted by TommyNoblesIsLife View Post
                                I agree that the sophomore class is a huge disappointment this year, but I wouldn't say that it has anything to do with Chris Connolly. Connolly is often the player behind breakouts, and his goal last night was a prime example of why he is valuable to this team. He's one of the only players on the squad that consistently crashes the net, and like Joe Pereira, his speed sparks the offense. If anyone has a knack for passing the puck out of the scoring areas, it's Vinny Saponari.

That said, Corey Trivino seems to have come back after break with a fire lit under him. He was all over the ice last night and playing the most physical game I have ever seen him play. His speed is really showing now, and I think he's one big game away from a breakout.
                                Agree on Connolly. See above. As for Trivino, he has one point in 2010. I personally haven't noticed anything more from him than what he showed in the first half. I think smyler's assessment was more accurate- he does show the fire you're describing... sometimes. Then it goes out for the next couple shifts.

Mookie,

Although winning 12 of 13 isn't entirely impossible (BU has gone on similar runs in the past), I agree with you that this team's No. 1 goal right now should be to get home ice in the HE playoffs. With HE being as much of a crap shoot as it is right now, and BU being only 5 points out of home ice, there's no reason to think that can't happen.

I don't think collegefan was trying to say that home ice was all that matters. I think he was trying to say what I just said above- make that your goal and then worry about what lies beyond when the time comes. Also, like cf said, home ice would make it easier to achieve any goals beyond the end of the regular season.
                                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                                X