X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon
    replied
    Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

I feel like I should at least pretend to be an Irish fan since this has become an whirlpool of tArrogance.

Nevermind.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Are you being facetious? Their NC schedule includes games against WMU, MTU, UMD, LSSU and UM - pretty western focused. Also the Gophers are already playing the teams, "in your state". Who else exactly should they play (that they aren't already) that meets your standards that ND does not?
    Agreed. ND is a name school (sort of even in hockey! I KNOW!), plus they are kinda good. Rather would play them than the wreck that is DU right now.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I don't hate them, I just see no need as they are focused on the east and can't get us televised. In hockey in my state, ND's brand is no better than a dozen other schools. Not sure why that's hard to understand...
    Are you being facetious? Their NC schedule includes games against WMU, MTU, UMD, LSSU and UM - pretty western focused. Also the Gophers are already playing the teams, "in your state". Who else exactly should they play (that they aren't already) that meets your standards that ND does not?

Leave a comment:

• Tiggsy
    replied

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Didn't see a thread yet so here goes....

Minnesota is coming off of a tough weekend against Bye.

Notre Dame is coming off of a split against Vermont.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Begin.....
    Not sure I'd call the Gophers having a tough weekend against Bye. It's almost like the other team didn't even show up, so that's usually a sign of dominance.

Leave a comment:

• GopherFan89
    replied

Does Notre Dame play markedly better at home rather than away?

Leave a comment:

• 80Miracle
    replied

This is a big series for Notre Dame. Anytime #1 comes into your building the Irish will be pumped. I see a split. Notre Dame wins 5-4 on Friday and Minnesota wins 6-3 on Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• BigM3810
    replied

Should be a good series. It will tell if the Gophers are really worthy of the #1 ranking.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

I really like the idea of having Notre Dame on the non-conference schedule. They're a quality program, have huge name recognition and the travel distance is manageable. But most importantly for me, it's BRAGGING RIGHTS, as I have a lot of family who are Irish grads, including a brother who played hockey there. So...............the Gophers better win!

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Nicely done. Provincial Jack*** Post of the Month.
    I don't hate them, I just see no need as they are focused on the east and can't get us televised. In hockey in my state, ND's brand is no better than a dozen other schools. Not sure why that's hard to understand...

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    I think the smaller ice sheet stuff gets way over-hyped, which is fine. These kids all learned how to play hockey on the smaller sheet, also all of our freshman have only played 4 games on the larger sheet I think they should be ok. My opinion of course.
    I generally agree with this. The one way in which i do think it makes a difference is that we have a young, smaller (yet ultra talented) team. On the big ice the youth and size isn't as big of a factor against older, larger teams as the young guns we have can use their speed and skill to offset that. On a smaller sheet that becomes more difficult.

Generally speaking though, this Gopher squad is talented and gritty enough where ice size shouldn't be as big of a factor though.

Leave a comment:

• Driftryder
    replied

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    I agree it is a little overblown, although the effect also varies with the team you are playing. A slower, trapping team does get a little tougher on smaller rink.
    agreed.

Do Notre Dame fans post on these boards?

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
    I think the smaller ice sheet stuff gets way over-hyped, which is fine. These kids all learned how to play hockey on the smaller sheet, also all of our freshman have only played 4 games on the larger sheet I think they should be ok. My opinion of course.
    I agree it is a little overblown, although the effect also varies with the team you are playing. A slower, trapping team does get a little tougher on smaller rink.

Leave a comment:

• Driftryder
    replied

Here is the link Koho for Saturdays online game.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/#live-events

Leave a comment:

• Driftryder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I'll be honest, I have no need for us to play Notre Dame. Jackson has touted a big strategy to focus on Minnesota. But overall the school has made its decision to look east...I see no need to give them a great relationship with our state as well. And in a rare side note, we won't even have our Saturday game televised because of the series.
    They are a quality opponent which helps the team develop, tDon's AM and he gets to see Mario. tDon has a little more say in who they play than you do and he has reason to play them, so it is going to happen. The Sat TV thing sucks.

And as for if they are rated #2 or not (GF89), 5 seconds after the puck is dropped, it matters none, especially this early in the year. What will matter is how fun the game is to watch and who wins.

Please, someone, post a link when available. And does anyone know for sure if a password is needed?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X