• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5mn_Major
    replied
    Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
    Why is there such a consternation among many of you regulars over playing Notre Dame? They seem to be a quality opponent which, with a good showing by us, can only help us at the end of the year in the power rankings and experience ( solid defensive style, good goaltending and different rink size { when playing there }) If it is only because you hate them, that is not quite enough. Elaborate, but don't go too deep. I'm not that smart.
    I don't feel that strongly about it...but you can look back into the thread about it if you want.

Leave a comment:

• captain beefheart
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I'm guessing you guys are right. Is that 8 games in 4 years against Notre Dame (excluding possible NCAA matchups)? Although he's deserved to schedule whomever he likes, I will be happy when Lucia gets this out of his system.
    Why is there such a consternation among many of you regulars over playing Notre Dame? They seem to be a quality opponent which, with a good showing by us, can only help us at the end of the year in the power rankings and experience ( solid defensive style, good goaltending and different rink size { when playing there }) If it is only because you hate them, that is not quite enough. Elaborate, but don't go too deep. I'm not that smart.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    No, I'm actually not sure about ND's visit to Mooch next season, Major. I pasted it in from a Strib interview with tDon where he laid it out and that's all the info I had. But we are also on for 2014 Ice Breaker at ND.
    I'm guessing you guys are right. Is that 8 games in 4 years against Notre Dame (excluding possible NCAA matchups)? Although he's deserved to schedule whomever he likes, I will be happy when Lucia gets this out of his system.

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
    Correct. BC here for 2 this year, MN @ BC/NE next year, NE at Mariucci in 2015 and MN @BC/NE in 2016

As far as ND, unless I'm greatly mistaken, ND is coming to Mariucci next year for a pair, with MN going back to South Bend in 2015, after which this "series" is done for now. This is why the UND/MN setup is for 2016/17 and 2017/18, that's basically filling the slot in the schedule that the Gophers have Notre Dame in right now.

The Icebreaker is a College Hockey Inc tournament that's outside the normal scheduling setup.
    I'd like to make either the Boston trip or the Ice Breaker trip next year. Those will be fun!

Leave a comment:

• Steve_MN
    replied

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Pretty sure they will play one game at BC and one game at Northeastern, not a series at BC.
    Correct. BC here for 2 this year, MN @ BC/NE next year, NE at Mariucci in 2015 and MN @BC/NE in 2016

As far as ND, unless I'm greatly mistaken, ND is coming to Mariucci next year for a pair, with MN going back to South Bend in 2015, after which this "series" is done for now. This is why the UND/MN setup is for 2016/17 and 2017/18, that's basically filling the slot in the schedule that the Gophers have Notre Dame in right now.

The Icebreaker is a College Hockey Inc tournament that's outside the normal scheduling setup.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

You sure about this? I thought we had two on the road at BC next year...and had one on the road against Notre Dame next year in the ice breaker.
    No, I'm actually not sure about ND's visit to Mooch next season, Major. I pasted it in from a Strib interview with tDon where he laid it out and that's all the info I had. But we are also on for 2014 Ice Breaker at ND.

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    How was Gurtler's play this weekend? I didn't seem to notice him much on the ice but think he was in the lineup both nights, right?
    Personally thought he struggled this weekend(at least on Friday night). I noticed him on Friday. It was hard to follow specific players on the internet feed on Saturday night but I thought he struggled a bit on Friday. Not to say he played poorly or anything, but he is going to need some breaking in while the rest of the freshman have already cut their teeth this year.

Leave a comment:

• Tiggsy
    replied

How was Gurtler's play this weekend? I didn't seem to notice him much on the ice but think he was in the lineup both nights, right?

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    Pretty sure it is @BC next year and 1 game in the ice breaker @Notre Dame
    Pretty sure they will play one game at BC and one game at Northeastern, not a series at BC.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Pretty sure it is @BC next year and 1 game in the ice breaker @Notre Dame

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

You sure about this? I thought we had two on the road at BC next year...and had one on the road against Notre Dame next year in the ice breaker.
    It would be unusual for any non-conference team (BC) to agree to come here and play two games, two years in a row, as it would any non-conference team (MN) to play a pair of games against Notre Dame, two years in a row, in South Bend.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Despite the less than ideal TV coverage, it was an important litmus test for the Gophers to be on the road and it exposed some weaknesses that are fixable. These NC road series are important for that reason. The Gophers have already scheduled the following NCs with HE teams:

2013-14: Notre Dame twice on road; Boston College twice at Mariucci.
    2014-15: Notre Dame twice at Mariucci; Boston College and Northeastern for single games on the road.
    2016-17: Notre Dame twice on road; Northeastern twice at Mariucci.

Unless tDon is a fortune teller, this prearranged NC schedule was NOT based upon whether these are going to be "good" teams or not. Northeastern has struggled much like UAA and has only been above .500 once in their last 10 seasons, the year they made the NCAAs. ND has only played above .500 hockey and made the NCAAs 2/4 previous seasons. Lucia made it clear a few months ago that with the conference realignment, he wanted to expand their schedule to focus on playing eastern teams (you mean he's looking east like ND? ), particularly solid hockey programs in HE. After ND drops off the schedule in 2016-17 (and Mario graduates...), the Whioux will come on the schedule.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree from a fan perspective. But from the team's point of view, playing them down there is probably a good thing.
    Despite the less than ideal TV coverage, it was an important litmus test for the Gophers to be on the road and it exposed some weaknesses that are fixable. These NC road series are important for that reason. The Gophers have already scheduled the following NCs with HE teams:

2013-14: Notre Dame twice on road; Boston College twice at Mariucci.
    2014-15: Notre Dame twice at Mariucci; Boston College and Northeastern for single games on the road.
    2016-17: Notre Dame twice on road; Northeastern twice at Mariucci.

Unless tDon is a fortune teller, this prearranged NC schedule was NOT based upon whether these are going to be "good" teams or not. Northeastern has struggled much like UAA and has only been above .500 once in their last 10 seasons, the year they made the NCAAs. ND has only played above .500 hockey and made the NCAAs 2/4 previous seasons. Lucia made it clear a few months ago that with the conference realignment, he wanted to expand their schedule to focus on playing eastern teams (you mean he's looking east like ND? ), particularly solid hockey programs in HE. After ND drops off the schedule in 2016-17 (and Mario graduates...), the Whioux will come on the schedule.

Leave a comment:

• Call It
    replied

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    More proof, Notre Dame cheats!
    I think it's the Mario Factor, he gets the Irish pumped up to play us.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Dude! Don't be a spoiler, I think the 3rd period just started and when the feed stops buffering I will continue watching.

That was the way the AK games went for me last year. Still waiting to see period 3 from Sat game. I had very little buffering (have to talk to the wife about that). Online, it was having 50% of the shots being the closeups from the behind the glass in the corners, including staying with it after the puck was completely out of view or where the puck was 3/4 the way down the rink and you couldn't tell where anyone was, that drove me nuts, or maybe, more nuts. Every PP seemed to be shown from the corner, where you had no idea how players were set up and you couldn't see the play develop.

I guess I should be less pessimistic. They won. I got my deer even though I got pushed out of my spot I've been hunting for years by some guys who built a permanent stand. It's hanging in the garage. (No Gurt, I'm not giving you my address. It is a buck anyway, if that matters to you.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X