• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goldy_331
    replied
    Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Time to move on.
    I disagree. It is way past time to move on.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Better reread it again. Did you see anything about ND's direct influence on Gopher hockey there? I was clearly referring to the long term growth of college hockey in the context of its current status as a niche sport, NOT any large or immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program. The only poster that mentioned anything about the ND's brand effect or non-effect directly on Gopher hockey in this thread was you, and no one else. And then you took it to another level and act like this sentiment is pandemic among posters on this board and big news. I honestly wonder whether you understand the concept of branding, its effects, what specific social sectors are affected and why. Their brand name doesn't mean crap in college hockey? There are a host of college hockey coaches that disagree with you. This may HELP.
    The discussion was about whether or not the Gophers should be playing Notre Dame. Your reasoning for playing them was their "national brand". If their "national brand" doesn't help Gopher hockey, why did you list it as a reason we should be playing them??? Or are you now going to switch back and say playing them does help us???

Notre Dame has had a program for decades and that program has had minimal if any impact on the growth of college hockey. It has had no impact on Gopher Hockey's growth.

I'm not going to play games. You said no one was talking about it but me, which was clearly wrong (which makes me wonder if even you know what you're saying half the time) . You're entitled to your opinion on the subject, I just whole heartedly disagree with you.

Time to move on.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-13-2013, 09:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Now THIS is funny. YOU personally talked about this in THIS very thread.

Sounds an awful lot to me like you think Notre Dame's "brand" can do us an awful lot. After all, that's why you think WE should play them. You said it yourself. Tell me Harley, Notre Dame has had a hockey program for DECADES. Why hasn't their "brand name" done more for college hockey up to this point???? What has Notre Dame's "brand name" done for Gopher Hockey?? We have more and better National TV visibility. We have higher attendance. We have a larger hockey following.

Like I said in the piece I wrote, I am absolutely in favor of playing Notre Dame in hockey right now. They are currently a good program and have a good team and I want to see the Gophers play good teams. But if Notre Dame were to fire Jeff Jackson and slip back to the mediocre program they have been for much of their existence, I guarantee you their attractiveness as an opponent would GREATLY diminish. In other words, their "brand name" doesn't mean crap in college hockey.
    Better reread it again. Did you see anything about ND's direct influence on Gopher hockey there? I was clearly referring to the long term growth of college hockey in the context of its current status as a niche sport, NOT any large or immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program. The only poster that mentioned anything about the ND's brand effect or non-effect directly on Gopher hockey in this thread was you, and no one else. And then you took it to another level and act like this sentiment is pandemic among posters on this board and big news. I honestly wonder whether you understand the concept of branding, its effects, what specific social sectors are affected and why. Their brand name doesn't mean crap in college hockey? There are a host of college hockey coaches that disagree with you. This may HELP.
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 11-13-2013, 09:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied

Who's claiming the ND national brand has any large and immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program? The only poster who has made any such remark is YOU.
    Now THIS is funny. YOU personally talked about this in THIS very thread.

Why is playing them important? From a growth perspective, their recognizable brand resonates with the casual fan, attracts new fans, and helps promote college hockey's long term growth. That's all good for a niche sport like college hockey that typically gets a cameo appearance once a year on Sportscenter. I'd be interested to see your short list of schools "in your state" that have greater iconic brand name recognition than ND.
    Sounds an awful lot to me like you think Notre Dame's "brand" can do us an awful lot. After all, that's why you think WE should play them. You said it yourself. Tell me Harley, Notre Dame has had a hockey program for DECADES. Why hasn't their "brand name" done more for college hockey up to this point???? What has Notre Dame's "brand name" done for Gopher Hockey?? We have more and better National TV visibility. We have higher attendance. We have a larger hockey following.

Like I said in the piece I wrote, I am absolutely in favor of playing Notre Dame in hockey right now. They are currently a good program and have a good team and I want to see the Gophers play good teams. But if Notre Dame were to fire Jeff Jackson and slip back to the mediocre program they have been for much of their existence, I guarantee you their attractiveness as an opponent would GREATLY diminish. In other words, their "brand name" doesn't mean crap in college hockey.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

And I don't agree that they should be "banned from Mariucci". Should you for your opinions? What is "sophomoric" is talking down to others who don't share your opinions. Same team man
    He's joking...you're takin' this way too seriously.

What I do think is a load of crap is the suggestion that Notre Dame's "national brand" helps us in any form or fashion.
    Who's claiming the ND national brand has any large and immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program? The only poster who has made any such remark is YOU.

You're not alone. I'm indifferent about growth as well. I also don't think playing Notre Dame in hockey is doing any favors for our program from an off-ice perspective. I don't think it hurts our program, but I don't think it helps us in any significant way either. They are a good team and currently provide good competition for our squad, but the Big Ten is doing more than anything playing Notre Dame could to improve the visibility of our program.

Leave a comment:

• IrishHockeyFan
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    If I remember Jackson saw this when he visited Comley at Northern. He thought Comley had an advantage with yelling at the refs with this set up.
    Or maybe he saw it years earlier when he was a student-athlete at MSU. Munn has the same setup and has been around for what, 40 years now.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Besides, who cares if they recruit in Minnesota? The day 'everybody else' comes into Minnesota and takes kids away from the U that tDon really wants, the problem won't be what 'everybody else' is doing.
    I don't think Gopher fans care that much as none of these kids would have gone to Minnesota anyways.

Wisconsin was probably the one team that really lost the most in ND being a viable option for Anders Lee, Steven Fogarty, Connor Hurley, Dlyan Malmquist, and Mario Lucia.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied
    Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Just how the hell did ND get away with building a rink with home bench on the side with the penalty boxes and visitor's bench on the other side? I expect things like odd sizes and corners for home ice advantage, but that's ridiculous!
    If I remember Jackson saw this when he visited Comley at Northern. He thought Comley had an advantage with yelling at the refs with this set up.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Outside of Lucia, I'm not too sure what they're getting on your side. A part timer and a role player on the team... I think they signed 2 kids out of Edina, but I thought one was a NTDP guy and the other played for Muskegon? That could be totally wrong... Anyway pretty much all the rest of their recruits actually do come from our side of the river.

Besides, who cares if they recruit in Minnesota? The day 'everybody else' comes into Minnesota and takes kids away from the U that tDon really wants, the problem won't be what 'everybody else' is doing.
    I am sure they want to succesfully recruit the USHL, and many of those kids might be from Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Outside of Lucia, I'm not too sure what they're getting on your side. A part timer and a role player on the team... I think they signed 2 kids out of Edina, but I thought one was a NTDP guy and the other played for Muskegon? That could be totally wrong... Anyway pretty much all the rest of their recruits actually do come from our side of the river.

Anders Lee, Steven Fogarty, Connor Hurley, Dlyan Malmquist, Mario Lucia.... I need not go on, though I certainly could.

I don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it, but it's not like people should be happy top recruits are being snagged out of our back yard. And it's not like this type of reaction is unique to our fan base. I seem to remember a certain Wisconsin player who played for the Gophers who got plenty of boos when he played in Madison. I don't remember Gopher fans booing any Minnesota kids who came back to play in Mariucci for a different team (like the countless that have played for yours).
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wisko McBadgerton
    replied

That's because the flashy helmets don't get much out of playing the team on your side of the river (especially from a recruiting standpoint)

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Sophomoric? Heck on this side of the river we've got Freshmen that understand it doesn't matter one shred what the flashy helmets get out of it.
    That's because the flashy helmets don't get much out of playing the team on your side of the river (especially from a recruiting standpoint)

Leave a comment:

• Wisko McBadgerton
    replied

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Oh, and if the argument against playing ND is that they, "get more from it than UM does" (a sophomoric concept to begin with)

Sophomoric? Heck on this side of the river we've got Freshmen that understand it doesn't matter one shred what the flashy helmets get out of it.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    I have a hard time believing beyond a handful of dopes actually made that argument, and those that did should be banned from entering Mariucci.

Oh, and if the argument against playing ND is that they, "get more from it than UM does" (a sophomoric concept to begin with) who should they instead schedule that they haven't already in which the pros/cons are more equitable to both sides?
    I don't believe I ever argued that we shouldn't play Notre Dame. In fact, I believe I said quite the opposite.

Quote From What I Wrote:

I don’t see any problem with coach Lucia getting them on the schedule. It was neat seeing the Gophers play at Notre Dame, the bad television coverage aside, and I hope to see the Gophers play in other rinks I haven’t seen them play in before in the near future.

I won't respond for others who feel differently. And a few people in this thread did say they feel differently.

And I don't agree that they should be "banned from Mariucci". Should you for your opinions? What is "sophomoric" is talking down to others who don't share your opinions. Same team man

What I do think is a load of crap is the suggestion that Notre Dame's "national brand" helps us in any form or fashion.

My Complete Thoughts On Subject
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-12-2013, 06:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

I have a hard time believing beyond a handful of dopes actually made that argument, and those that did should be banned from entering Mariucci.
    Perhaps they don't realize that Minnesota is actually doing better in the latest football poll, as the Irish are down to just 2 votes compared to our 60!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/polls?poll=1

Oh, and if the argument against playing ND is that they, "get more from it than UM does" (a sophomoric concept to begin with) who should they instead schedule that they haven't already in which the pros/cons are more equitable to both sides?
    The Wild?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X