Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

I think this thread has more posts after the series than before and during...USCHO, love it!

Edit: And now I just added to it.
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

Still haven't heard who the Gophers should have scheduled in place of ND that would provide a better pro vs con result. Perhaps think about the supposed cons thrown around with ND before answering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Still haven't heard who the Gophers should have scheduled in place of ND that would provide a better pro vs con result. Perhaps think about the supposed cons thrown around with ND before answering.
        I have no problem with scheduling Notre Dame as long as they stay as competitive as they are now. They are a team with an interlocking logo that doesn't jump our players in the handshake line
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          I have no problem with scheduling Notre Dame as long as they stay as competitive as they are now. They are a team with an interlocking logo that doesn't jump our players in the handshake line
          Then Minnesota playing Notre Dame will help them stay competitive so that Minnesota will want to play them which will help Notre Dame stay competitive so that Minnesota will want to play them which will help Notre Dame stay competitive so that Minnesota will want to play them which will help Notre Dame stay competitive...
          Boston University 2009 Champs
          Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

• Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
            Then Minnesota playing Notre Dame will help them stay competitive so that Minnesota will want to play them which will help Notre Dame stay competitive so that Minnesota will want to play them which will help Notre Dame stay competitive so that Minnesota will want to play them which will help Notre Dame stay competitive...

Notre Dame became competitive without Minnesota's help. I think they will be fine either way

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I'd like to see BU, DU, Northern Michigan, CC, UNO, UNH, Miami and even schools like Tech (which a surprisingly large number of posters on GPL said was their #2 school). Schools with which we actually have some history. So, why not spread it around? If we get 6 or more games against a school, why not make it schools with a hot rivalry like North Dakota or schools with a dynasty like BC?

Now to get someone to take the other side...why is Notre Dame so special to get rabid defense from posters supporting 8 games in 4 years?
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

why is Notre Dame so special to get rabid defense from posters supporting 8 games in 4 years?

Seriously, you guys need a better memo system over there. Everyone has thoroughly agreed it's because of Notre Dame's National Brand.
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  Seriously, you guys need a better memo system over there. Everyone has thoroughly agreed it's because of Notre Dame's National Brand.
                  Funny you say that because I actually do think Notre Dame's "national brand" it created with football could possibly get some butts in the seats in the Kohl Center. Perhaps Eaves should be giving Jackson a call. NBCSN's crappy stream would certainly be better than the no TV gig you guys got going too.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    Funny you say that because I actually do think Notre Dame's "national brand" it created with football could possibly get some butts in the seats in the Kohl Center. Perhaps Eaves should be giving Jackson a call. NBCSN's crappy stream would certainly be better than the no TV gig you guys got going too.
                    Wisconsin leads the league in the percentage of empty seats.
                    "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

You guys are pretty fond of this tack lately but I don't think you have any idea what you're on about. You're comparing being the only premier winter college sport in a population of 3.5 million to being one of two premier winter college sports in an urban area of 320,000. UW Bouncyball leads the B1G in attendance and is seventh in the nation drawing 5k more a night then gofers bb. Hockey is competing for consumer dollars against that in a market that is less than 1/10 the size of the twin cities. Sure, attendance is down from our 30+ years of being #1 in college hockey, but it's not so simple as people want to make it out to be. Look at attendance per capita and your program isn't even in the same stratosphere as UW or UND.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        Look at attendance per capita and your program isn't even in the same stratosphere as UW or UND.
                        Even then, its because much of MN watches the Gophers on TV (many believe the benefits are greater...its easier to see play, you get audio, improved libations at home or in a bar, etc.). Combining attendance and TV ratings, are you claiming the UW would get the same kind of following?
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          You guys are pretty fond of this tack lately but I don't think you have any idea what you're on about. You're comparing being the only premier winter college sport in a population of 3.5 million to being one of two premier winter college sports in an urban area of 320,000. UW Bouncyball leads the B1G in attendance and is seventh in the nation drawing 5k more a night then gofers bb. Hockey is competing for consumer dollars against that in a market that is less than 1/10 the size of the twin cities. Sure, attendance is down from our 30+ years of being #1 in college hockey, but it's not so simple as people want to make it out to be. Look at attendance per capita and your program isn't even in the same stratosphere as UW or UND.
                          Good grief. We hear this all the time. Let's just say the X was on campus. Don't you think we'd easily lead the nation in attendence if that was true? Bigger arean = bigger attendence for a good program. For a while, you guys were pulling that off. But now, it's all coming back to you and no one wants to watch your "exciting" team.

Comment

Wait, you're pulling out the competition for viewers card???

Try being in the same state with 4 other division one hockey schools and the same market as an NHL franchise. There are no Badger fans outside of Madison? I don't doubt that, I'm just surprised to hear you say it

Comment

Of course I think you'd lead the nation in attendance. Why shouldn't you? If you managed the same level of fan participation as UW you'd draw 100k a night. I imagine that would put you on top pretty handily. Wonder why you don't just build the facility?
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Of course I think you'd lead the nation in attendance. Why shouldn't you? If you managed the same level of fan participation as UW you'd draw 100k a night. I imagine that would put you on top pretty handily. Wonder why you don't just build the facility?
                                When you have the nation's richest TV exposure, why bother? We'll settle for one of the nicest and most recognized buildings instead. And still lead the nation in revenue each and every year without having to share with bouncy ball

Comment

Working...
                                X