Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Outside of Lucia, I'm not too sure what they're getting on your side. A part timer and a role player on the team... I think they signed 2 kids out of Edina, but I thought one was a NTDP guy and the other played for Muskegon? That could be totally wrong... Anyway pretty much all the rest of their recruits actually do come from our side of the river.

Besides, who cares if they recruit in Minnesota? The day 'everybody else' comes into Minnesota and takes kids away from the U that tDon really wants, the problem won't be what 'everybody else' is doing.
    I am sure they want to succesfully recruit the USHL, and many of those kids might be from Minnesota.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Just how the hell did ND get away with building a rink with home bench on the side with the penalty boxes and visitor's bench on the other side? I expect things like odd sizes and corners for home ice advantage, but that's ridiculous!
      If I remember Jackson saw this when he visited Comley at Northern. He thought Comley had an advantage with yelling at the refs with this set up.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Besides, who cares if they recruit in Minnesota? The day 'everybody else' comes into Minnesota and takes kids away from the U that tDon really wants, the problem won't be what 'everybody else' is doing.
        I don't think Gopher fans care that much as none of these kids would have gone to Minnesota anyways.

Wisconsin was probably the one team that really lost the most in ND being a viable option for Anders Lee, Steven Fogarty, Connor Hurley, Dlyan Malmquist, and Mario Lucia.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          If I remember Jackson saw this when he visited Comley at Northern. He thought Comley had an advantage with yelling at the refs with this set up.
          Or maybe he saw it years earlier when he was a student-athlete at MSU. Munn has the same setup and has been around for what, 40 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            And I don't agree that they should be "banned from Mariucci". Should you for your opinions? What is "sophomoric" is talking down to others who don't share your opinions. Same team man
            He's joking...you're takin' this way too seriously.

What I do think is a load of crap is the suggestion that Notre Dame's "national brand" helps us in any form or fashion.
            Who's claiming the ND national brand has any large and immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program? The only poster who has made any such remark is YOU.

You're not alone. I'm indifferent about growth as well. I also don't think playing Notre Dame in hockey is doing any favors for our program from an off-ice perspective. I don't think it hurts our program, but I don't think it helps us in any significant way either. They are a good team and currently provide good competition for our squad, but the Big Ten is doing more than anything playing Notre Dame could to improve the visibility of our program.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              Who's claiming the ND national brand has any large and immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program? The only poster who has made any such remark is YOU.
              Now THIS is funny. YOU personally talked about this in THIS very thread.

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              Why is playing them important? From a growth perspective, their recognizable brand resonates with the casual fan, attracts new fans, and helps promote college hockey's long term growth. That's all good for a niche sport like college hockey that typically gets a cameo appearance once a year on Sportscenter. I'd be interested to see your short list of schools "in your state" that have greater iconic brand name recognition than ND.
              Sounds an awful lot to me like you think Notre Dame's "brand" can do us an awful lot. After all, that's why you think WE should play them. You said it yourself. Tell me Harley, Notre Dame has had a hockey program for DECADES. Why hasn't their "brand name" done more for college hockey up to this point???? What has Notre Dame's "brand name" done for Gopher Hockey?? We have more and better National TV visibility. We have higher attendance. We have a larger hockey following.

Like I said in the piece I wrote, I am absolutely in favor of playing Notre Dame in hockey right now. They are currently a good program and have a good team and I want to see the Gophers play good teams. But if Notre Dame were to fire Jeff Jackson and slip back to the mediocre program they have been for much of their existence, I guarantee you their attractiveness as an opponent would GREATLY diminish. In other words, their "brand name" doesn't mean crap in college hockey.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Now THIS is funny. YOU personally talked about this in THIS very thread.

Sounds an awful lot to me like you think Notre Dame's "brand" can do us an awful lot. After all, that's why you think WE should play them. You said it yourself. Tell me Harley, Notre Dame has had a hockey program for DECADES. Why hasn't their "brand name" done more for college hockey up to this point???? What has Notre Dame's "brand name" done for Gopher Hockey?? We have more and better National TV visibility. We have higher attendance. We have a larger hockey following.

Like I said in the piece I wrote, I am absolutely in favor of playing Notre Dame in hockey right now. They are currently a good program and have a good team and I want to see the Gophers play good teams. But if Notre Dame were to fire Jeff Jackson and slip back to the mediocre program they have been for much of their existence, I guarantee you their attractiveness as an opponent would GREATLY diminish. In other words, their "brand name" doesn't mean crap in college hockey.
                Better reread it again. Did you see anything about ND's direct influence on Gopher hockey there? I was clearly referring to the long term growth of college hockey in the context of its current status as a niche sport, NOT any large or immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program. The only poster that mentioned anything about the ND's brand effect or non-effect directly on Gopher hockey in this thread was you, and no one else. And then you took it to another level and act like this sentiment is pandemic among posters on this board and big news. I honestly wonder whether you understand the concept of branding, its effects, what specific social sectors are affected and why. Their brand name doesn't mean crap in college hockey? There are a host of college hockey coaches that disagree with you. This may HELP.
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 11-13-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  Better reread it again. Did you see anything about ND's direct influence on Gopher hockey there? I was clearly referring to the long term growth of college hockey in the context of its current status as a niche sport, NOT any large or immediate effect on the Gopher hockey program. The only poster that mentioned anything about the ND's brand effect or non-effect directly on Gopher hockey in this thread was you, and no one else. And then you took it to another level and act like this sentiment is pandemic among posters on this board and big news. I honestly wonder whether you understand the concept of branding, its effects, what specific social sectors are affected and why. Their brand name doesn't mean crap in college hockey? There are a host of college hockey coaches that disagree with you. This may HELP.
                  The discussion was about whether or not the Gophers should be playing Notre Dame. Your reasoning for playing them was their "national brand". If their "national brand" doesn't help Gopher hockey, why did you list it as a reason we should be playing them??? Or are you now going to switch back and say playing them does help us???

Notre Dame has had a program for decades and that program has had minimal if any impact on the growth of college hockey. It has had no impact on Gopher Hockey's growth.

I'm not going to play games. You said no one was talking about it but me, which was clearly wrong (which makes me wonder if even you know what you're saying half the time) . You're entitled to your opinion on the subject, I just whole heartedly disagree with you.

Time to move on.
                  Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-13-2013, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Time to move on.
                    I disagree. It is way past time to move on.

Comment

The discussion was about whether or not the Gophers should be playing Notre Dame. Your reasoning for playing them was their "national brand". If their "national brand" doesn't help Gopher hockey, why did you list it as a reason we should be playing them??? Or are you now going to switch back and say playing them does help us???

Notre Dame has had a program for decades and that program has had minimal if any impact on the growth of college hockey. It has had no impact on Gopher Hockey's growth.

I'm not going to play games. You said no one was talking about it but me, which was clearly wrong (which makes me wonder if even you know what you're saying half the time) . You're entitled to your opinion on the subject, I just whole heartedly disagree with you.

Time to move on.
                      Wow...you're more dense than I anticipated. For this last time, reread the post...for the overall growth of college hockey. Show me the posts of others who were discussing the immediate effect of the ND brand on Gopher hockey? Let's see them.

Comment

• Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        Wow...you're more dense than I anticipated. For this last time, reread the post...for the overall growth of college hockey. Show me the posts of others who were discussing the immediate effect of the ND brand on Gopher hockey? Let's see them.
                        Perhaps it is you that needs to go back and re-read the discussion to gain better context. The entire discussion originated and centered around whether or not the Gophers should play Notre Dame.

Your response began with "Why is playing them important?" Then you start rambling on about "name recognition" and "national brand".

To me, this would seem to indicate that you feel as though it is important for the Gophers to play Notre Dame because of their "national brand".

Otherwise, how are your original comments even pertinent to the discussion? If Notre Dame's "national brand" is so helpful for the growth of college hockey, you'd think it would be helpful with or without having to play the Gophers? Or are you contesting that their "national brand" is only beneficial to the growth of college hockey when they're playing Minnesota?

I don't know or care what point you were trying to make, but it appears as though it was either completely irrelevant to the discussion or completely off-base. You decide.

Comment

Here is the post that started the whole discussion.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          I'll be honest, I have no need for us to play Notre Dame. Jackson has touted a big strategy to focus on Minnesota. But overall the school has made its decision to look east...I see no need to give them a great relationship with our state as well. And in a rare side note, we won't even have our Saturday game televised because of the series.
                          Please tell me, how is Notre Dame's "national brand" relevant to whether or not THE GOPHERS should play them in hockey (which aids them in recruiting in MN) because they won't play us in football? That was the reasoning in 5MN's post.

Not saying I necessarily agree that we shouldn't play them, but their "national brand" certainly doesn't factor ANYWHERE into my thought process when deciding whether or not the GOPHERS should be playing Notre Dame in HOCKEY.

This discussion is old and tired. Think what you want Harley.
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            I disagree with your disagreement. This should go on all season. Except that occasionally a goferfan says something sensible and agreeing with them makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Beyond that, it's a riot!
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Agreed. Sorry for my part.

Comment

Next PC thread I start will have PC vs HOCKEASTTEAMHERE ... and Minnesota!

Just to generate discussion.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X